Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2014 Kona Bike Count
Quote | Reply
Here's the link to the Lava Magazine Bike Count... any surprises?
Last edited by: AndresLD: Oct 11, 14 0:15
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remember when Norman put Kuota on the map? What a fall from the upper echelon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize Dimond had made 21 bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it's all that surprising but Garmin Vectors have almost caught Powertap and SRM
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never realized what a dominance Zipp had. I thought HED and ENVE would be closer.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expected to see more Flo wheels in the list. Guess slowtwitchers don't normally qualify for Kona. :-)

Quote | Reply
i find the coach split interesting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought there would be more Scott bikes and less Ceepo's

Also suprised by zipp dominance

Didnt realize Look pedals were that popular.

Shimano destroying SRAM in the groupsets too, more than what i thought they would be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the fact that the number one brand in most categories was heavily favoured over the rest could be a sign of conformance within the community.

Not that those companies don't make great stuff. I just think tri is still small enough that people tend to follow the pack.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Last years' coach count was 1:1.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [rexcoltrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rexcoltrain wrote:

I thought id see 5 or 6 but 21...wow... ahead of kestrel and blue

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
winchester wrote:

A sign the economy is rebounding? Maybe a lot of folks got powermeters the last couple years then realized they stopped improving after initial results.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
rexcoltrain wrote:

Watching twitter yesterday and saw a post of 'lots of Dimonds checked in' and thought LOTS?!?! but yeah 21 is impressive!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24 Canyon bikes. I wonder how many of those belong to German athletes.

A lot of Rudy Project "helemts".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really surprised Stages didn't make up a much larger % of the power meters! I guess if you qualify for Kona you are dropping a LOT of money on equipment but I've heard Stages has been outselling all other manufacturers like crazy

http://www.jarredscycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Thought there would be more Scott bikes and less Ceepo's

Also suprised by zipp dominance

Didnt realize Look pedals were that popular.

Shimano destroying SRAM in the groupsets too, more than what i thought they would be

Ceepo has been very aggressive this year working with teams and individual athletes to raise their profile. They are a great company to work with, nice to see their effort paying off.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Jarred'sCycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jarred'sCycling wrote:
I'm really surprised Stages didn't make up a much larger % of the power meters! I guess if you qualify for Kona you are dropping a LOT of money on equipment but I've heard Stages has been outselling all other manufacturers like crazy

Hmm, people who take their training seriously want good data. Whodathunkit!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet they have the highest percentage of bikes built to bikes in Kona in the world right now

Skippy74 wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:
rexcoltrain wrote:

Watching twitter yesterday and saw a post of 'lots of Dimonds checked in' and thought LOTS?!?! but yeah 21 is impressive!!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are my takeaways

1. Helmet count, Rudy Project is bogus. Cut their total by 70%...they literally give away these helmets to Kona Qualifiers to win the count. It is not reflective of actual usage, so start counting after Rudy
2. Great to see SRM being pushed down. This is a perfect example of "open vs. proprietary". As a former SRM user I just find the useabiilty of Quarq to be vastly superior...having to send my head unit and crank back to Colorado Spring and pay duty at the border each time really sucked.
3. Really sad to see Kestrel, Litespeed and Principia so far down the list....these guys use to rule the peer at Kona "back in the day"
4. 21 Dimond's on the pier....the beam bike is coming back after the UCI almost killed it. Beams used to rule, and I think you're seeing the start of a new trend as most of you rediscover how awesome they are. Damon...come on you guys rule the bike count, so let's see the P7 be a beam bike. There is no good reason to chase the silly UCI market. triathlete purchases are a solid part of your market. Don't let what happened to Kestrel and Litespeed at the top of the bike count happen to Cervelo...it does not take too many years :-). Triathletes don't care about UCI bike AND most of us are 35-55 with deep enough wallets and not enough flexibility....every brand should be dabbling with beam technology given the materials and manufacturing options today!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Jarred'sCycling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jarred'sCycling wrote:

I was surprised at first, but them realized that these guys are the pointy end of he he spear, and not many newbies qualify for Kona out of the gate. So most of these guys have been using power for awhile.

Stages' primary appeal is for those who don't have power and don't want to drop a lot of coin. Not certain that athlete is in Kona.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One more thing....I think they should take the helmet count out of the categories. Pretty well everything else you more or less established before heading to Kona. Helmet is cheap enough and easy enough to use, that if company gives away a ton of deeply discounted helmets, it is easy to adopt their product. You're likely not changing you bike, powermeter, pedal, saddle etc. Wheels you could change, but they are expensive enough that a company won't literally give them away, and even if you got new wheels, on race week, you have to figure out how to pack them in your bike case to get them home....so you can't have 100's of guys suddenly "change brands".
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Borden] [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
winchester wrote:

60% coached. Doesn't really surprise me when I see people ask the coach/no coach question on facebook. 99.9% of the responses tell them to get a coach. In my little sheltered circle of friends, it's much different.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I kind of started to think the same thing. It's appeal is towards the crowd who don't want to spend the money on an SRM. Which probably isn't the same crowd that qualifies for Kona

http://www.jarredscycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Kona Bike Count [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In terms of raw numbers, and percentages of the whole, yes the helmet number is bogus for the reason you note (freebies).

However, I think the trend the "data" shows is somewhat indicative of the market. RP helmets are extremely popular and based on what I have observed at a few bigger races this year (Racine, Nats and IMWI), I would agree that they are the #1 aero lid out there.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell me the one Salsa is a fatbike!
Quote Reply

Prev Next