Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it?
Quote | Reply
I am somewhat familiar with the changes they've made in the course this year. Not all the way to Upper Arlington I guess?
Do I really see that the finish is NOT in the Arena District now?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it? [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good luck. ive run it twice, including last year, and i have several family members running.

the course looks pretty similar to last year except for the start and finish. i dont mind the move of the finish line, but im disappointed in the start being moved from broad street. as far as i know, the start line was always there. i have fond memories of watching my dad start there in mid-late 80s and then lining up at the same spot myself when i ran my first marathon (also with my dad).
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it? [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course still goes through Upper Arlington and the start/finish area is on the southern edge of the Arena District. I'll be cheering for you while doing a training run on roads paralleling the last 8 miles of the course. I'll also be in grass beside the multiuse path you'll hit at 18 miles cleaning up gel packets thrown in the grass. I train on the path and the part of the course from OSU to UA every day and I hate the littering along the course every year. Please discard your gel packets only at the aid stations! Thanks and good luck. The weather is looking good at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it? [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info. I've run it 4 times and did the half last year.

I worked for Second Sole in the early to mid 80's and actually drove the pace vehicle one year. The start line on Broad Street is great(mini Times Square)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark...I'll dispose of my waste properly. :)

thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats right, i think you mentioned to me last year sometime about working at second sole. theres a good chance we've met, although i would have been about 6 years old.

and don't worry mark lemmon, i was sure to throw away my gels last year, but i apologize for the snot-rockets that i left.
Last edited by: Ellsworth53T: Oct 13, 14 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran Columbus as my first marathon last year, and really enjoyed it. Columbus is a great city. Wish I was running again this year, but I have a 70.3 on the schedule for next weekend. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like they took out a little of the part thru campus which i always thought was a bit boring.
added some in grandview. i live on 1st ave right on the course so we usually have a good time spectating and drinking coffee.

---------------------------------------
Fruit snacks are for winners
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it? [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rolled my ankle this morning stepping on something, in the dark, that my flashlight didn't catch.

day to day :(((((((
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna try to hit the start line on Sunday.

thenicetwin wrote:
Rolled my ankle this morning stepping on something, in the dark, that my flashlight didn't catch.

day to day :(((((((

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw they changed the course. Maybe even more flat ;-) Done Columbus many times (still my PR marathon) - not this year. Running the Churchill 1/2 marathon with my dad and son soon after. Yup - 3 generations running together!

Re: 2014 Columbus Marathon this Sunday. Anyone else doing it? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't there this year, but saw the photos in this morning's paper. I gotta wonder; who's bright idea was it to set of fireworks and make runners start a marathon by running through a cloud of smoke? Anyone here who ran it want to chime in on that part of the experience? Maybe it wasn't as bad as it looks in pictures, but that's gotta be one of the worst ideas I've seen in awhile.

Otherwise, this has always been one of my favorite events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how did it go? did you make it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, I made it. rough going on the ankle though.
felt really good the 1st 16 miles and expected to see my son and his buddies at 17th Ave. They weren't there yet and I realized I was ahead of when I'd said I'd be there.
hobbled in the rest of the way after twisting it again during mile 17.
thanks for asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like a tough day. nonetheless, congrats on finishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks much.
I love the new course layout.
they can, and will, improve on the flow of things. But have to make the parking lot craziness better. Also, toilets...I waited in line for 30+ minutes and jumped into my corral less than 4 minutes before the start. Made things a little stressful.

Made it to the OSU Rutgers game too. Fun to sit in the student section with my son, our exchange student and a bunch of my sons' buddies
Quote Reply