Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2014 40k TT Challenge
Quote | Reply
Ok, it is the last day of January and it hasn't been posted yet. Someone needs to start the 40k TT challenge. I omitted the word official, as I am not the one that has issued the challenge in the past few years. Time to cut 10sec or 5 min off your time to go under an hour or under 50............................
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My challenge is 40k under an hour on road bike
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jan 30, 14 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok fine. I'm committed... to doing one so I can work on getting under 60 in 2015.

Current 40k PR is 1:09. And was part of Ironman Lake Tahoe. Thanks thin air and downhill.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for you and a few others, we need to make that road bike with road helmet and wheels less than 30mm depth, no skinsuit, no clip ons, not at elevation over 1000' , etc

i think under 57 for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same: regular road helmet, shallow wheels, etc. Has to be aero road bike though, only rig in stable. Will be on PCSD 40k course, which is already "slow" with three 180 degree turns on narrow road. If memory serves, I did it in 52:3X on TT bike just under sweet spot intensity.

If I'm motivated I'll do it a second time with full road aero setup to compare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never been a fan of the full 40k back to back. 30k, sure 40 k is pushing it. though i might finally get to that 50 mi TT up nor"t"

i have only have aero road frame as well, andnot sure i would want to go through hassle of changing brake pads to run 30mm wheels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if i'm focusing more on events of duration at 20-30 min?

Maybe i'll go crazy and do one on my road bike if i get my ftp high enough. What's a good estimate of CdA if you are relatively aero?

As for my TT bike, would be swell if i can go under 54 for 40k. No idea if that's plausible. I think it'd require a CdA less than 0.24 while sustaining 320 watts or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

Hoping to go around 58-59 this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In. While I don't have the talent of many of the folks here, I finally broke an hour and did 58:08 at Church Creek last June.

This year, it's the old man's game. Wanna ride my age in a 40k. Since I'll turn 58 soon, this looks doable. Secondary goal is 57:21 - 26 mph on a 40k course.

Update: Did Church Creek on 6/21. Missed the goal by 12 seconds on a day when I just couldn't get on top of the gear. Still, a 40k PR of 57:33. Only goo for 7th of 21 starter in 55-64. Happy (and shocked) to still be getting faster at this age!
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Jun 29, 14 18:21
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you have lotsa questions for a simple yes or no ;)

i believe the previous requirements were a stand alone 40k outdoors. personally as long as it is individual(non-drafting) any 40k segment at any time outdoors will do.

you want a 20k challenge then..........you could start one, or no one can stop you from posting it anywhere anyway :)

no idea on CdA for sub 54 on 320. since i have only once gone over 320 for 40k(planning and resting are never big on my agenda) i'd say way sub 54 is possible on 320. i have a friend, 57 last year, doing sub 53s on 50less +/- some delta(keeping it non-specific for him)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually hopped on my new bike for the first time and almost crapped my pants the first time i got on the extensions. No idea on my CdA, nor am i sure what i can sustain in an aero position, but hopefully more than 300.

My coach is a big believer in itt's (he's medaled at Nats), and i see a lot of quality time he'll prescribe me on my TT bike. According to him, the drop-off from a road bike to a tt shouldn't be that significant if i spend a lot of time on it. We shall see.

I'll mainly be doing TT within stage races, a few 40k (including Church Creek), and a few tri relays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! Have done some shorter TTs before, but my best 40k was an Olympic split in 1:08. I think with focused training I should be able to get pretty close to 59:xx.

Church Creek is the closest 40k for me as we'll, so it looks like I will see a few of you out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
for you and a few others, we need to make that road bike with road helmet and wheels less than 30mm depth, no skinsuit, no clip ons, not at elevation over 1000' , etc

i think under 57 for you.

What about 40kph tailwind ?

There's actually a really nice 40km TT strava sector near me that has a 20km turn around to avoid unidirectional tailwind times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode 56 even last year at 56 years old last year. With my current training shooting for under 55 at 57.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [Juanmoretime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Juanmoretime wrote:
I rode 56 even last year at 56 years old last year. With my current training shooting for under 55 at 57.

I hit 50 this year and have never broken an hour! You guys are my hero's!
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [jclarkNZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll have to drive from Philly to Church Creek to get a 40 K in.....

Someone should set up a Slowtitch banner so we could all meet :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
never been a fan of the full 40k back to back. 30k, sure 40 k is pushing it. though i might finally get to that 50 mi TT up nor"t"

i have only have aero road frame as well, and not sure i would want to go through hassle of changing brake pads to run 30mm wheels

epic #firstworldproblems

haha
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are real to me ;)

see there is this silly shimano brake that has little adjustability in the bottom of said bike so , sigh, have to change pads and tweak spacing, sigh. not an issue as I really wouldn't change wheels if using a road bike, just stick with 404s instead of 808s, the humanity
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
I guess I'll have to drive from Philly to Church Creek to get a 40 K in.....

Someone should set up a Slowtitch banner so we could all meet :D

Sure thing. I'll bring beer
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always have beer after a race

I'll make a small banner at work and hang it on my car....I'll be the only fool with a black souped up Mustang with a trailer hitch bike rack so you won't be able to miss me :D
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 28 and you guys are my effin heroes too! I did sub 56 for the first time last year and I was over the moon but it also turned me inside out- 55:47. I'm gonna give it a whirl again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will need 25c gatorskins or this will be too easy!

Carl Spackler wrote:
I was thinking the same: regular road helmet, shallow wheels, etc. Has to be aero road bike though, only rig in stable. Will be on PCSD 40k course, which is already "slow" with three 180 degree turns on narrow road. If memory serves, I did it in 52:3X on TT bike just under sweet spot intensity.

If I'm motivated I'll do it a second time with full road aero setup to compare.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd better finally make it down this year! The bar has been set at 52:53! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [gradiology] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gradiology wrote:
You'd better finally make it down this year! The bar has been set at 52:53! :-)

I'm not doing all this indoor shit for nothing Chris :D If the weather would cooperate a little here I might actually get on the tt bike and train on it.

I see a Slowtwitch gathering at the local bar for beer n burgers afterwards......
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 40k TT Challenge [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next