Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by brenoamelo
Re: 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9 Broken Frame [brenoamelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about this. If you have been riding it for a year, I assume that it isn't the case that he sold you a cracked frame, but when do you think the frame cracked?
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9 Broken Frame [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today.

I've put lots of miles and raced 3 iron mans on this frame so I'm sure it wasn't defective when I bought it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear man.

I would go talk to your local trek dealer and get them to talk to trek. I believe Trek has a crash replacement (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so you could still get a new frame discounted and send your cracked frame back. Yeah I know it's not warranty but its better than buying a brand new frame/bike at or around MSRP.

Just throwing this out there...

If you are a size medium, I have a 2012 sc for sale in the classifieds.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woah, did you hear this happen? Did a stick get caught in their or something. That doesn't look like a "just riding along" type of crack. It's a big crack in a weird spot. Anyways, yes, all bike companies only extend warranty replacement to original owners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sorry to hear about this. This is one huge negative and unfortunately it props up artificially the price of used things as people don't think about warranty transfers. If you get in a pinch, I have a Trek SC medium that I am thinking of selling. I would even personally offer to warranty the bike for a period of time.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jan 31, 15 18:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be the clear coat, but it also looks like your bb has cracks too. Almost like it was hit with something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen damage to my frame under the draftbox over time. Yours is cracked right at the edge of where the draftbox clamps down.

Something that isn't widely acknowledged is that Trek's warranty policy doesn't allow for trainer use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently found a crack in my Madone and ended up not being covered by warranty due to it not being a manufacturers flaw or issue. I ended up getting a killer deal on a P1 Speed Concept 9 Series. I was the original owner of the Madone so I am not sure if the crash replacement covers only original owners or not. I too have a Medium 2011 Speed Concept 9 series with ultegra 6700 that I am debating on selling. Good luck with whatever you do.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by seadocha [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each company's policy is different, generally, but I would be surprised if even a crash replacement was honored.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9 Broken Frame [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Something that isn't widely acknowledged is that Trek's warranty policy doesn't allow for trainer use.

There is language in the owners manual which goes with every new bike sold regarding trainer use. Here's a link to that page, and the trainer references are near the bottom.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9 Broken Frame [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Only know about that manual language because you've posted it here and referred to it often Carl. Since we are a northern location the Trek dealer sells a lot of bike trainers and no one is ever told don't put your Trek on a trainer. Reading through the lawyer-speak in that document, the only acceptable trainer would be rollers as the majority of trainers clamp the "rear frame triangle".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems a bit unclear, but are you saying that trek will not honor warranty if you use it in a trainer (front or rear mount)?

the text doesn't actually say that. I would like to know exactly what treks policy is, since I was fit on my bike by a trek dealer on a trainer...
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 Trek Speed Concept 9 Broken Frame [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always wondered about that. I've been fitted on a few bikes both Trek and other manufacturers using a trainer by their authorized dealers. If the trainer is a no-no, you would think the manufacturers would offer another solution or train their dealers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are risks involved when putting your bike in a trainer, and I'm pointing to where we say that. Nothing more, nothing less.

You are correct that the linked text does NOT say you can't put your bike in a trainer.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification. I am guessing if someone over clamps their trainer, that trek might not honor the warranty-if it is self inflicted? Any truth to that?

I appreciate your being on here and your responses. I just want to make sure I do everthing right! That was a big part of me buying the bike, for the warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words. Warranty stuff is not where my expertise lies, and every case is different, so I try to stay away from making black and white statements like that (as if you couldn't tell). I think the trainer language spells out risky behaviors and trainer styles.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply