Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Does your wife also work with top-level athletes who push themselves to the limits of what their body can handle in training? If not, do you think she would agree that it's possible that training that hard could cause them to experience more severe side-effects or complications than normal? And/or that such a finely tuned athlete would have a very different definition of what qualifies as an "adverse effect" to a normal person?

They're genuine questions, I know nothing about the disease than what can be found on the internet, and there's a lot of things out there like "the disease can normally be treated..." which don't really give much clue as to what complications or "non-normal" cases can look like.

No, she does not work with top level athletes, and no studies have been done on top level athletes. This is the first case where an athlete of his caliber has a claimed history of schistosomaisis that I can find. In her studied opinion based on the literature and experience, the fitness level of the person does not change the efficacy of praziquantel in treatment of schistosomaisis / bilharzia. This drug has been used since the 1970s and is heavily monitored for efficacy and for the development of drug resistant parasites.

Most of the side-effects are due to dying worms, and not to the drug itself. The data that exists for side effects for praziquantel use in schistosomiasis indicate that the driving factor for side effects is number of worms in the patient, not the fitness of the person. In adverse effects vs. a "normal" person, you obviously can't quantify what Froome would feel when taking praziquantel, but his statement that "It basically kills everything in your system" is misleading. The drug has virtually no effect on the cells of your body (targeting the adult worms), it is rapidly excreted in urine and not stored in fat. The most commonly reported side effects for treatment of schistosomiasis are all intestinal.
Last edited by: justChris: Jul 19, 13 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:
What's even funnier is that there is a video of the 2 fans "fighting" after color guy gets tripped. To say it was a fight is generous, more like 2 7th grade girls slapping at each other. Epic stuff right there.

Post the link here please! :)
http://www.youtube.com/...;v=Ls3NxXSb1K0#at=36
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I much prefer dialogue about crazy outfitted guys falling on their faces after being tripped than worms. It just makes me laugh more.

Also, Ryder's glasses were bad ass today. I liked the look he had there.

Quote | Reply
justChris wrote:

No, she does not work with top level athletes, and no studies have been done on top level athletes. This is the first case where an athlete of his caliber has a claimed history of schistosomaisis that I can find. In her studied opinion based on the literature and experience, the fitness level of the person does not change the efficacy of praziquantel in treatment of schistosomaisis / bilharzia. This drug has been used since the 1970s and is heavily monitored for efficacy and for the development of drug resistant parasites.

Most of the side-effects are due to dying worms, and not to the drug itself. The data that exists for side effects for praziquantel use in schistosomiasis indicate that the driving factor for side effects is number of worms in the patient, not the fitness of the person. In adverse effects vs. a "normal" person, you obviously can't quantify what Froome would feel when taking praziquantel, but his statement that "It basically kills everything in your system" is misleading. The drug has virtually no effect on the cells of your body (targeting the adult worms), it is rapidly excreted in urine and not stored in fat. The most commonly reported side effects for treatment of schistosomiasis are all intestinal.

Thanks. I read somewhere that on average the worms take ~4 years to clear out of your system, but can take up to 20. Is that right? And if so, does that mean that what he's talking about is most likely to be side effects from the worms still in his body and that's why he'd still be taking periodic doses of the drug? By Sky's account he was only properly diagnosed in 2010, so assume it's plausible that he wouldn't be in the clear yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Thanks. I read somewhere that on average the worms take ~4 years to clear out of your system, but can take up to 20. Is that right? And if so, does that mean that what he's talking about is most likely to be side effects from the worms still in his body and that's why he'd still be taking periodic doses of the drug? By Sky's account he was only properly diagnosed in 2010, so assume it's plausible that he wouldn't be in the clear yet.
I see that in the wikipedia article. That is specifically referring to untreated schistosomiasis / bilharzia. Biltricide (Praziquantel) rapidly kills adult worms.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr Trip is a coward. Tries to hide back in with the crowd and then needs his missus to stand in front whilst he continues to provoke from behind.

There have been a lot more annoying types than fluoro guy. The ones that make physical contact or run in front, often with cell phone filming backwards.

It would have been more funny had the tripped guy been fat. Well because it's funny when bad things happen to fat people. Just ask Chow.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Movistar pulling the peloton right now. Crazy number of vested interests this year, Sky has hardly had to pull for days...
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought this thread would be buzzing with Jens doing his thing up front! Should be a great final climb!
Last edited by: JBell: Jul 20, 13 7:36
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SHUT UP LEGS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
valverde would have been the man of the Tour...without the mech failure....
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [maqrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maqrol wrote:

and his inability to stay with the top guys in the mountains.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just love watching ritchiE POrte.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [HomerJSimpson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HomerJSimpson wrote:
Just love watching ritchiE POrte.

It has taken you 3 weeks to make that one up? Don't give up the day job!
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
Thought this thread would be buzzing with Jens doing his thing up front! Should be a great final climb!

I love how he criticized Tejay for going too soon the day before, then did the same thing today. WTF?

Not sure what it is about Quintana but he's easy to root for. I'm so glad he pulled ahead of Contador!
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Talansky beat Contador across the line! Hell yeah senor

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
JBell wrote:

I love how he criticized Tejay for going too soon the day before, then did the same thing today. WTF?

Not sure what it is about Quintana but he's easy to root for. I'm so glad he pulled ahead of Contador!

Agreed. I'm super stoked about his 2nd place pull. He's an extremely exciting new element to pro cycling. His quiet nature.
His Modesty is a very needed thing in today's Pro Sports culture.
I look very forward to following his career.
Quote Reply
Re: 2013 TdF thread (spoiler alert) [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you think he has been working for Quintana since that day?
Philb wrote:
maqrol wrote:

and his inability to stay with the top guys in the mountains.
Quote Reply

Prev Next