Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa

 

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All  


bullshark

Oct 1, 12 8:18

Post #1 of 28 (3908 views)
2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa Quote | Reply

I understand that there will be 3 qualifying events for the 2013 Duathlon World Championships in Ottawa in August 2013. Rumor has it 1 in Calif, 1 in Alabama, and 1 in Minnesota (or somewhere near that state) but I havent been able to find any info. Anyone got any info?

Also 2014 Du Worlds will be in Spain and that the single qualifying event will be in Tucson in October of 2013.


doublea334

Oct 16, 12 8:25

Post #2 of 28 (3786 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Bump, hoping for some new information on the qualification races myself. I am very close in the age group USAT ranking, but I would love a shot at qualifying by means of spring/summer race.
__________________________________________________________________________

Proudly Racing for EGO p/b Sammy's Bikes
Team Facebook ----- Team Blog Updated 7/29
Training/Racing Blog ----- Follow Me


desert dude

Oct 16, 12 9:56

Post #3 of 28 (3747 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Your understanding is pretty spot on from my understanding. I suspect that our sources are different.

Brian Stover
Accelerate3 Coaching :: Twitter @accelerate3 :: Like us on Facebook


(This post was edited by desert dude on Oct 16, 12 9:59)


B.McMaster

Oct 16, 12 11:47

Post #4 of 28 (3704 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

bullshark wrote:
I understand that there will be 3 qualifying events for the 2013 Duathlon World Championships in Ottawa in August 2013. Rumor has it 1 in Calif, 1 in Alabama, and 1 in Minnesota (or somewhere near that state) but I havent been able to find any info. Anyone got any info?

Also 2014 Du Worlds will be in Spain and that the single qualifying event will be in Tucson in October of 2013.

This would suck - with Worlds being just north of NY, I would have hoped they would put a qualifier in the heavy populated North East. I thought AZ DU was trying.

I did hear that they will be releasing the info this week, so then I guess we will know.

Any idea how 3 qualifiers would work in terms of the slots per race that qualify?


OldFart

Oct 16, 12 13:59

Post #5 of 28 (3667 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

B.McMaster wrote:
bullshark wrote:
I understand that there will be 3 qualifying events for the 2013 Duathlon World Championships in Ottawa in August 2013. Rumor has it 1 in Calif, 1 in Alabama, and 1 in Minnesota (or somewhere near that state) but I havent been able to find any info. Anyone got any info?

Also 2014 Du Worlds will be in Spain and that the single qualifying event will be in Tucson in October of 2013.


This would suck - with Worlds being just north of NY, I would have hoped they would put a qualifier in the heavy populated North East. I thought AZ DU was trying.

I did hear that they will be releasing the info this week, so then I guess we will know.

Any idea how 3 qualifiers would work in terms of the slots per race that qualify?



I believe AmZof peeps were trying to be qualifier for Long Course Du Nats


duron43

Oct 16, 12 15:49

Post #6 of 28 (3632 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Just got the USAT Mag yesterday and they have DU Nationals set for October 2013. I think it's a misprint. I had emailed USAT last month and they emailed back that they release a Nationals date in October, well here it is the middle of October and nothing concrete. Is ther any way to qualify for ITU Worlds Du other then going through USAT?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."


bmas

Oct 16, 12 15:53

Post #7 of 28 (3628 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Canadians that missed the qualifying event can submit and application by December for consideration. I was thinking about that, until I read that it'll be over $1,000 with the application fee, team outfits, etc.


duron43

Oct 16, 12 16:05

Post #8 of 28 (3620 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bmas] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Kind of pricey, and I'm not Canadian, ehy
-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."


Bonesbrigade

Oct 16, 12 16:14

Post #9 of 28 (3615 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bmas] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

bmas wrote:
Canadians that missed the qualifying event can submit and application by December for consideration. I was thinking about that, until I read that it'll be over $1,000 with the application fee, team outfits, etc.

I went through the same process - I live in Ottawa, so I thought this would be good motivation to start running again. When I added up all the fees, it came to over $1,000. I can't justify spending that kind of money for 2 hours of racing! I'm not sure how anyone can to be honest.

A few weeks ago I criticized a local promotor for charging $90 for a sprint duathlon, which is looking like a bargain right now. This pricing for world du's is mind boggling to say the least.
_______________________________________________


ratherbeswimmin

Oct 16, 12 16:58

Post #10 of 28 (3583 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

B.McMaster wrote:
bullshark wrote:
I understand that there will be 3 qualifying events for the 2013 Duathlon World Championships in Ottawa in August 2013. Rumor has it 1 in Calif, 1 in Alabama, and 1 in Minnesota (or somewhere near that state) but I havent been able to find any info. Anyone got any info?

Also 2014 Du Worlds will be in Spain and that the single qualifying event will be in Tucson in October of 2013.


This would suck - with Worlds being just north of NY, I would have hoped they would put a qualifier in the heavy populated North East. I thought AZ DU was trying.

I did hear that they will be releasing the info this week, so then I guess we will know.

Any idea how 3 qualifiers would work in terms of the slots per race that qualify?

Rumor had it at 2012 Du Nats that they would be doing one more year in Tucson for 2013, then moving...


Bad Fish

Oct 16, 12 19:38

Post #11 of 28 (3538 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] (Deleted by Nacly) [In reply to]

 


desert dude

Oct 16, 12 20:33

Post #12 of 28 (3504 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
Any idea how 3 qualifiers would work in terms of the slots per race that qualify?

When they had a multi-qualifier system in the past it was between 2-3 slots in the regional's and 6 slots at national's. But with no slots at national's since they aren't until October, I suspect it'll be 4-6 slots at each regional. If past history is any judge, USAT will let unclaimed slots roll about 12 deep.

Brian Stover
Accelerate3 Coaching :: Twitter @accelerate3 :: Like us on Facebook


gmatom

Oct 19, 12 19:59

Post #13 of 28 (3390 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [desert dude] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Just saw they updated the qualification page with the three races (Alabama, California, Minnesota)- dates from early April to late May. 6 slots per age group at each race, roll down to 10.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/...a/qualification.aspx

Glad to have a chance to race somewhere other than Tucson, even though they did a great job there.


(This post was edited by gmatom on Oct 19, 12 20:00)


B.McMaster

Oct 20, 12 2:18

Post #14 of 28 (3350 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [gmatom] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

It looks like 2 of the 3 races are being used for qualification for both the sprint and standard Worlds. And since you can't race both at Worlds, one of the teams will be short people. 6 + 6 = 12, but it only rolls to 10.

Hope they change their minds and split up the sprint from standard qualifying.


doublea334

Oct 20, 12 4:19

Post #15 of 28 (3333 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [gmatom] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Thanks for the info!! Looks like its time to start base training for Minnesota!
__________________________________________________________________________

Proudly Racing for EGO p/b Sammy's Bikes
Team Facebook ----- Team Blog Updated 7/29
Training/Racing Blog ----- Follow Me


jmickle11

Oct 20, 12 6:00

Post #16 of 28 (3298 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I have to be honest here. Few qualifiers, high costs, lots of travel for Duathlons doesn't make it worth it to me to want to participate. I was honorable mention last year (injured this year) just missed all american so I certainly have interest in racing Nationals or worlds but it's just too expensive and not enough interest with Race Directors to hold qualifiers. Duathlon is a great sport but when you have Nationals in the beginning of the race season it just doesn't make sense. It would be different if you made DU Nats a qualified event held later in the year with races in each region as the qualifiers. I know that makes arranging worlds travel more difficult but it seems to be a much better format.


John Mickle
ECI Endurance


CTwhippet

Oct 20, 12 6:27

Post #17 of 28 (3282 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [doublea334] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I was hoping they would put a race a bit closer to us out here in the NE. Guess I'll be traveling to MN in May.


Tri-Bum

Oct 20, 12 7:39

Post #18 of 28 (3246 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [bullshark] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Alabama - 13 hours away
Minnesota - 18 hours away.

Sure wish USAT would have one in the upper mid-Atlantic or NE.

Anyone in MD-PA-NJ-DE want to carpool to one?


B.McMaster

Oct 20, 12 10:22

Post #19 of 28 (3201 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [Tri-Bum] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Tri-Bum wrote:
Alabama - 13 hours away
Minnesota - 18 hours away.

Sure wish USAT would have one in the upper mid-Atlantic or NE.

Anyone in MD-PA-NJ-DE want to carpool to one?

Only problem with Alabama is that its just a Short Course qualifier where Minnesota is both.

Have to agree on the mid-Atlantic or NE - with Worlds so close to us (relatively speaking) it would have been ideal.

West Point would have been great - the have held one in the spring for the past 2 years and what better place to hold a National event than at a National school. And as an added bonus, they could use the snipers to police the drafting.


Tri-Bum

Oct 20, 12 14:19

Post #20 of 28 (3160 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

[quote Only problem with Alabama is that its just a Short Course qualifier where Minnesota is both.

Have to agree on the mid-Atlantic or NE - with Worlds so close to us (relatively speaking) it would have been ideal.

West Point would have been great - the have held one in the spring for the past 2 years and what better place to hold a National event than at a National school. And as an added bonus, they could use the snipers to police the drafting.[/quote]

No, talked to the RD and it is a qualifier for both. All three have a regular and a short to qualify for both.

I agree - WEST POINT would be great for a qualifier.

(This post was edited by Tri-Bum on Oct 20, 12 14:20)


B.McMaster

Oct 20, 12 16:41

Post #21 of 28 (3121 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [Tri-Bum] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Tri-Bum wrote:
[quote Only problem with Alabama is that its just a Short Course qualifier where Minnesota is both.

Have to agree on the mid-Atlantic or NE - with Worlds so close to us (relatively speaking) it would have been ideal.

West Point would have been great - the have held one in the spring for the past 2 years and what better place to hold a National event than at a National school. And as an added bonus, they could use the snipers to police the drafting.


No, talked to the RD and it is a qualifier for both. All three have a regular and a short to qualify for both.

I agree - WEST POINT would be great for a qualifier.[/quote]
Guess I'm going to Alabama. Hopefully they don't update the web-site so the field is "weaker"


tripence

Oct 21, 12 17:17

Post #22 of 28 (3046 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

It really is sad there are no qualifiers in NE/ NY.

There's no way they are going to even come close to filling 36 slots/ AG (between sprint & oly) but they could have got a heck of alot closer, if they put a race in a spot where racers could have a reasonable drive to qualifier AND race.

On a slightly different note, anyone know what the "going race" is for entry and unis for World's?
John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence


joncane

Oct 21, 12 17:25

Post #23 of 28 (3036 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [tripence] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Couldn't agree more about the lack of a qualifying race in the Northeast. Best case scenario it means flying to a regional event, long drive to Worlds, and still having to fly again in October for Nationals.

Uniforms this year went for $120-$270 plus $25 to have your name screened, minus $20 if you had the Tri Sports logo on it. Entry fee was maybe $100
tripence wrote:
It really is sad there are no qualifiers in NE/ NY.

There's no way they are going to even come close to filling 36 slots/ AG (between sprint & oly) but they could have got a heck of alot closer, if they put a race in a spot where racers could have a reasonable drive to qualifier AND race.

On a slightly different note, anyone know what the "going race" is for entry and unis for World's?
-------------------------
Jonathan Cane
City Coach Multisport
http://www.citycoach.org


MattRussellTri

Oct 21, 12 17:31

Post #24 of 28 (3026 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [tripence] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

From my understanding Duathlon Worlds for the pros is in Cali, Colombia for 2013. I think its a bad call to have the age groupers and pros separated.

fees... I think its about 100-150 for entry fee and about 125-175 for the racing suit. just a rough guess.

http://www.MattRusselltri.com

http://www.MattRussellTri.com -Pro Triathlete -TEAM TIMEX
http://www.XEndurance.com code "MATT2013" 10% off orders. Helping me recover fast. 7 Ironmans (four top 4 finishes) in 2012.
http://www.dktristore.com code: “MRDK15” 15% off orders


terre firma

Jan 14, 13 12:11

Post #25 of 28 (2334 views)
Re: 2013 Qualifying Events for Duathlon Worlds in Ottawa [B.McMaster] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

The USAT and race websites are conflicting. The USAT lists the Double Oak du as the qualifier (10/40k/5k race). the race site however lists the Double Oak du as a 5k/20k/5k race. Based on your contact with the RD for the Alabama race, is the short course race - Double Oak Duathlon (5k/20k/2.5k) the world's qualifier?

I hope the 20 k bike is actually miles otherwise, this is an interesting course to qualify for a 10/40/5 venue.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All  
 
 
 



Ironman prize money
In the wake of the infamous 7th place prize money bonus at IMLP, where do you stand on Ironman's prize money? Is Ironman a penny pincher? Is the lack of a pro outcry the pros' own fault? Or is there no problem and the money is correct now?
Ironman should up prize money
Pros at fault for their timidity
The money is appropriate now