Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2011 Zipp 808 question
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if there was ever a zipp 808 carbon clincher made that was not firecrest? I am looking at buying a pair of 2011 carbon clincher 808's but it doesn't specify if they are firecrest or not. I have included a pic of the graphics incase it helps.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/catalogs/2011_catalog.pdf

Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [val] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So that looks like a no? They list the 808 clincher and the 808 firecrest carbon clincher.... But no 808 carbon clincher thats not firecrest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that looks fake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Seems like not , an 808 non firecrest was produced 5 years ago until 2011. That wheel does look like a 1080 though, which is no longer produced
Last edited by: val: Oct 31, 14 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
that looks fake

+1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be tubulars, also the pic looks like a 1080 with 808 sticker (to me)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rlh212 wrote:
Does anyone know if there was ever a zipp 808 carbon clincher made that was not firecrest? I am looking at buying a pair of 2011 carbon clincher 808's but it doesn't specify if they are firecrest or not. I have included a pic of the graphics incase it helps.

Thanks!

The 2011's had the Shiny Silver hubs and matching spokes and nipples. THe CC's had either a CC sticker of intertwined C's or a Firecrest logo around the valve stem. They made the 808 CC and also, I believe, remaining inventory, of 808 w/ aluminum brake track that was NOT the Firecrest toroidal shape.It's hard to tell, but those stickers' font looks "off" and the Speed Weaponry background is grey, not white.

Quote | Reply
+2 no way thats a zipp firecrest !
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [irontri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. The font is slightly off.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not buy those. FAKE. Report them to Zipp

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Do not buy those. FAKE. Report them to Zipp
This. And if by some chance they turn out to be real, Zipp will tell you and then you can buy them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are definitely too deep to be 808s. If they are real Zipps they would be 1080s which were never made in a carbon clincher or Firecrest. If they are actually Zipps they will be 1080 tubulars non-firecrest. The decals do not look like genuine Zipp decals as the 808/1080 decals were smaller than that, but doesn't mean the actual wheels underneath aren't Zipp 1080s.

If they are actually carbon clinchers then they are definitely fake.
Last edited by: nickag: Oct 31, 14 23:19
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I believe this is the ad.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bop/4733086394.html

Edit: For reference, here is the ad text (not my ad).

2011 Full Carbon set of ZIPP 808's 700c Carbon Clincher. These are used and have approximately 3-400 miles on them. Used only as race wheels, and just got me through Ironman Maryland. Breaking surface is good, wheels are compatible with Shimano 10 speed. The hubs are not powertap, they are generic, they were switched out to save some money, still run great!

These wheels are seriously great, they were a huge upgrade for me, but as a college student, they were a bit out of my league price wise. Although I would love to keep them, it is not realistic for me at this time. 800 Or best offer.

This comes with the wheel only, not including tire or cassette. I am not selling the bike, just the wheels.

Nanoo Nanoo
Last edited by: -W-: Nov 1, 14 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Zipp 808 question [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@-W- are these yours? If so can you provide some more pictures/details? The consensus here seems to be that they are not Zipps....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not my wheels/ad. I was curious if I could find them and this is what I came up with.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply