Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [CamR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CamR wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
definitely a very good time, but to be fair, they appear to be wearing wetsuits in that pic. speaking as someone who's a medium-OK swimmer and stronger biker, i will say the wetsuit gives me a minute or two . . .

-mike

Water temp was 69 this morning, and they used USAT rules so it was a wetsuit legal swim.

Lance won't have to qualify for Kona. They'll give him a "celebrity" slot if he wants it. That means he won't be starting with the pros but 30 minutes later with everyone else.

it was confirm in writing by WTC to every pros that Lance would not be given a slot to hawaii to race as a pro without him qualifying like every other professional as to do. So, i have a hard time seeing them coming back on this as they have confirm this to all of us.

That said, i think it was a VERY stupid move of them to do so. Give the dam guy a free spot to the pro race and make it a field of 51men instead of 50...for the good of the sport.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be too surprised if they let him in. Don't the current rules for pro qualifying include some wild card spots?

If he does a half or full prior to Kona and does well, say first amatuer or top 3 OA I would guess he gets a WC spot.

Sure some would be pissed if they let him have one, but they would say thast he got in based on performance, and that he didn't get in based on celebrity.

Plus that avoids a huge PR move if he twitters how unfair they are (they aren't but the LA worshipers would be beside themselves). Also if he qualified as an AG and did get top three WTC would look like idiots to the general public.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [GMAN 19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN 19030 wrote:
Green Barf wrote:
crud wrote:

Well that in itself should tell you all you need to know about him, and his future as a multisport athlete. Here is one of the most focused athletes on the planet, who now can't focus enough get his ass out the door enough to train properly, even though he said it was important to him.

Did you forget the pink font or do ridiculous comments just come naturally?

He's saying now that he only ran 20-30 a week. If you think that is training properly, then perhaps you are the one who should be posting in pink.
Last edited by: Green Barf: Apr 3, 11 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I wouldn't be too surprised if they let him in. Don't the current rules for pro qualifying include some wild card spots?

If he does a half or full prior to Kona and does well, say first amatuer or top 3 OA I would guess he gets a WC spot.

Sure some would be pissed if they let him have one, but they would say thast he got in based on performance, and that he didn't get in based on celebrity.

Plus that avoids a huge PR move if he twitters how unfair they are (they aren't but the LA worshipers would be beside themselves). Also if he qualified as an AG and did get top three WTC would look like idiots to the general public.

Styrrell

No, it s pretty much impossible for Lance to qualify to race pro in hawaii. You need to score points as a professional. They will let him race any race as a pro but he would need to WIN 2 or 3 ironman or 1 ironman and a few half ironman to make enough point to break the top 50. Only top 50 make it in. So, it s not about a celebrity spot or him doing a good race.... it s about him having to back up 4-5 amazing race with consistant top finish just to make it in. That is very unlickely.

Current pro rules allowed for wild card for injury with THE SPECIFICATION IN THE RULES THAT NO WILD CARD WILL BE GIVEN TO LANCE AMRMSTRONG TO ENTER HAWAII...... black on white....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because of the fact that he competed at such a high level in cycling he could probably get his pro card using the "special consideration" criteria, which states:

Quote:
Applying athlete has been on a USA Swimming, USA Cycling or USA Track and Field Olympic or Pan Am team or National elite team (recognized by that NGB). And the athlete must have finished top-10 overall and within 10 percent of the overall winner's time in at least one (1) USAT sanctioned event that occurred within the past 12 months and had at least 200 participants.

Otherwise, he'd have to meet one of criteria A-F here: http://www.usatriathlon.org/...thlete-qualification

He's not currently on the list of elite license holders, so he'll have to compete as an age grouper, unless the race organizer gives him some sort of special treatment, which more than likely they would. That list can be found here: http://assets.usoc.org/.../ELITES_MARCH_17.pdf (although it's not completely current I don't think Lance qualified since 3/17, or else we would have heard about it)

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Green Barf wrote:
crud wrote:
I don't think he gave the marathon his best effort judging from the extra lbs and comments from others including AS regarding his lack of proper training.

No idea how it all plays out, but I do know that he's been pretty successful at whatever he does when going pelota-out.

Well that in itself should tell you all you need to know about him, and his future as a multisport athlete. Here is one of the most focused athletes on the planet, who now can't focus enough get his ass out the door enough to train properly, even though he said it was important to him. No reason at all to believe his flirting with tri will result in anything different. He has nothing left to prove as an athlete. He is starting to remind me of Favre, except that Favre actually continued to perform at a high level. He really should just walk away now.

I am not Lance... but, I think he gets his ass out the door to train as much as his life will let him... this guy not only trains but does a lot of endorsements and don't forget about the LiveStrong foundation he dedicates a lot of time to promoting...

Lance is starting to remind me of "the new" athlete who will has the ability to move on to other sports which have an equal amount of potential for furthering his athletic career.... Favre... he's a one trick pony - football... Lance... not so much because he is multi-talented and gifted on more levels than a typical athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:
What's different about Armstrong doing it than Lieto?

I'm no LA worshiper, but that's about the funniest doggone thing I have read on ST in a long, long time. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
CamR wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
{snip} .

{snip}.

it was confirm in writing by WTC to every pros that Lance would not be given a slot to hawaii to race as a pro without him qualifying like every other professional as to do. So, i have a hard time seeing them coming back on this as they have confirm this to all of us.

That said, i think it was a VERY stupid move of them to do so. Give the dam guy a free spot to the pro race and make it a field of 51men instead of 50...for the good of the sport.....

I agree... how many opportunities does the sport of IM triathlon get the opportunity to promote itself in a fashion that not would only benefit them economically but help put the sport on a more broad based appeal to other sports. I could be wrong... but, if push came to shove... I bet WTC would change their mind if enough dollars were introduced into the equation... sponsors have a way of making a big difference in the way certain things are done with any sport.

All that aside, what if they do let him in as a AG'er... all the media focus would be pretty much on Lance and would definately put a damper on the pro field... specially if all the comparisons at the end showed he would have won (or even if in the top 10) if adjusting for the lag start.

Either way, WTC will be winner if Lance compete's in an IM... but, WTC could REALLY capitalize on his participation much more so if they allowed him the option of racing AG OR Pro.
Last edited by: Joe M: Apr 3, 11 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:
Just curious, but why do so many people seem to think that Armstrong will be able to ride so much faster than someone like Lieto? And speaking of Lieto, we've all seen what happens to those who just kill it on the bike--they get hammered on the run. What's different about Armstrong doing it than Lieto?

Because top TDF caliber pros have trained for years and years 4,5,6 hours per day 6 days a week almost exclusively on the bike year round. No triathlete can even touch one of them on the bike. He'll be at least 5-10 minutes ahead of Lieto.

The big question with LA is whether he can muster up any kind of a decent run. He's done a 2:46 marathon, but it's unlikely that it's going to be anything close to that after he cooks it on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Either way, WTC will be winner if Lance compete's in an IM... but, WTC could REALLY capitalize on his participation much more so if they allowed him the option of racing AG OR Pro.

By the "rules" it'll be really hard for him to be a "pro", but I think what will happen is Lance will just be there (not really an Pro, but not really an AGer), and oops just happens to start at the very front of the race.

There really is no point in having him in the AG race, if WTC wants to get the most out of Lance. He has to be at the front of the race so that he can lead on the bike, and the media/fans/racers gets all excited and wonders "will he do it"?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [bad929] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IF he announces that he will race Kona and IF he makes it to the start line, there is no way in hell he will be racing as an AG'er. It does not even matter if he has "qualified" or not....he will race at the front of the race, period.

Not even the WTC is foolish enough to not capitalize on the LA media train.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:

He's not currently on the list of elite license holders, so he'll have to compete as an age grouper, unless the race organizer gives him some sort of special treatment, which more than likely they would. That list can be found here: http://assets.usoc.org/.../ELITES_MARCH_17.pdf (although it's not completely current I don't think Lance qualified since 3/17, or else we would have heard about it)

If he races Tour of California, he'll be qualified. I think that's his plan; one last US bike race, use that to get qualify using as elite license holder, do a 70.3 to show he's almost ready, then come out at Kona going for the win.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there is any chacne of him doing ToC. He announced his retirement and made no mention of Cali. He is done with bike racing it appears.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does/would ToC qualify him? Simply being a "elite" in the tri world and racing a 70.3 doenst get him into Kona as a "pro" without WTC simply putting him in.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: bad929: Apr 3, 11 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I don't think there is any chacne of him doing ToC. He announced his retirement and made no mention of Cali. He is done with bike racing it appears.

JB flew out to see him late in last weeks vacation; says hes working on a special "side project". Im betting he's racing Cali. Why? No pressure, says he's doing it to support Levi, and isn't going for the win. Goes out, gets his license, gets some time in on his legs, easy path to Kona.

You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bad929 wrote:

By the "rules" it'll be really hard for him to be a "pro", but I think what will happen is Lance will just be there (not really an Pro, but not really an AGer), and oops just happens to start at the very front of the race.

There really is no point in having him in the AG race, if WTC wants to get the most out of Lance. He has to be at the front of the race so that he can lead on the bike, and the media/fans/racers gets all excited and wonders "will he do it"?

Starting an AG'er with the Pro's would definately be an option... hope WTC considers this if Lance shows up prepared and prefers this option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone showed above in the thread, having a pro card in any of the 3 sports grants reciprocity to USAT. So hed be a pro. Then its just up to WTC on whether or not theyd waive the requirement for him to get into Kona (which seems likely). Of course he could go out and earn the points. Not sure he'd do that though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Caroline in Las Colinas, June 1986??? Do you remember the news reports about someone spotting an alligator near the lake the week before the race?
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [pjgreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pjgreek wrote:
Lake Caroline in Las Colinas, June 1986??? Do you remember the news reports about someone spotting an alligator near the lake the week before the race?

yep... sure do... in fact, I think that same story showed up just before they did one of the Olympic Trial tri race at the same location some 12 or so years later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point, LA at any IM/triathlon event would be fantastic for this sport. It would get more attention than all the past Kona's combined. Every pro, manufacturer and retailer should send an email and encourage and welcome him to join in.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read a lot of dumb shit on this site over the past 10 years, and this is clearly top-5.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [centermiddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
centermiddy wrote:
I've read a lot of dumb shit on this site over the past 10 years, and this is clearly top-5.

Based on what? He's not going to "qualify" as a pro, unless WTC just puts him in the race. It makes no sense to put him in the AG race, because WTC would lose a huge opportunity to cash in. So like I said he'll just be at Kona, and it wont really matter whether he's a "pro" or "AG", he'll simply be put at the front for obvious reasons.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, enough about the LA debate.

So is this 48-min 2.4mi IM type swim for real? Or bogus hype? I don't see anything other than a Twitter picture to confirm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious what a secret ballot of the top 50 IM men would turn up about whether or not to let him race? Would they vote to let him race with them? I can think of valid arguments all around that issue. I do, like you Jonnyo, think it is short sighted to put that in writing if that is what the WTC did. If that is true, they cannot wink at all or risk the last vestiges of respect in the triathlon community, no matter how good or well-received the reversal of the position might be for the sport. Just silly. Or maybe they feel there is a clear concensus among the pro field that an exception cannot be made(?).

Charity slot and not racing against the athletes on the same level? I can't see that being all that enticing to Armstrong. And I think if I were a pro, and there was some guy out there with Armstrong's potential....I'd want him in the same field. Sink or swim for everyone. But that's just how I see it. I might look at it differently if it might take money out of my pocket. I don't know for sure because I'm not confronted with that prospect.
Quote Reply
Re: 2.4 mi. swim - Lance Armstrong [Green Barf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you raced as a pro or at the top level of anything?
do you know what it takes to do so?
do you have any idea the type of time commitments he has?
if you have please tell. but i'm assuming the answer is no.
none of us can even begin to imagine how hectic his schedule is.
until you have your comments are normative at best and i think it is you who should be walking away.

Prev Next