Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I’ve been thinking about converting my bike to a 1x built and had some questions!

I have a Ventum size Small (51cm) with DI2 drivetrain, Q-rings chainrings (54/42) and a 11/25 cassette.

I 3 questions:
1) There are no 54t NW Q-ring. Would you rather get a 52 NW Q-ring or a 54t Sram XSync chain ring? Is the shifting (noticeable) better with the sram chainring?
2) What cassette/rear derreileur would you recommend? I know I dont have many ratios with my current setup (42/25 is the “softest” ratio I currently have). Knowing this, which one would you recommend? I’ve never had any problems with those gear-ratios.
3) What would be my “recommended” setup with all its pieces? Meaning what kind of shifters/brakes would I need. Should I set up the aerobars buttons with a 1xbutton shifter or with a 2xbuttons shifter? Same questions goes for the handlebar. Would I need something else? Like a wolftooh hanger or some kind of chain-lime holder?

Regards!
Quote Reply
Re: 1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations [Stefano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I have no experience with Q rings but I cannot imagine shifting will be any different since you are shifting the RD so the rings don't seem to matte at all.

2. I run a 52 with 11/28 now but will probably change to 11-32 and get a Force long cage to accommodate. But that really depends on what you want. I rode 11/25 one season because none of my races had hills so I didn't need anything bigger. Now I have more hills in some of my races so want more gears to deal with those hills.

3. Again, depends on if you're going Di2 or mechanical. And even with Di2 it depends on if you want the 1 button or two button shifters and if you want to spend the money to match. You can get away with the right sided 2 button shifters and only one brake/shift lever but that depends on if you are ok with the differ ascetics of the bike. But you don't need anything else for 1x if you have a NW chainring.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stefano wrote:
Would you rather get a 52 NW Q-ring or a 54t Sram XSync chain ring?

This is like asking someone to choose your political party affiliation for you. Oval or round, you have to pick.

With that said, if you want to maintain your current oval affiliation and can't go down to the 52T, Aerocoach makes a 54T oval NW chainring (that has only one "OCP" mounting position and is purportedly designed to work with the "high inertia" pedaling style one would typically expect with fast TT riding).

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: 1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Stefano wrote:

This is like asking someone to choose your political party affiliation for you. Oval or round, you have to pick.

With that said, if you want to maintain your current oval affiliation and can't go down to the 52T, Aerocoach makes a 54T oval NW chainring (that has only one "OCP" mounting position and is purportedly designed to work with the "high inertia" pedaling style one would typically expect with fast TT riding).

This. Although the Arc is much closer to round than oval, it's fantastic and I've yet to drop a chain on it (1 season on the 54 and 1 season on the 58). I have the alu 52t for training as well which is a good option if you don't plan on seeing high speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wolftooth makes a non round ring

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/elliptical-drop-stop-chainrings
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Shiv and run SRAM Force 1 with an Absolute Black 50t N/W oval chainring. In the back I run a SRAM XX1 10~42 cassette. I've made no special mods or use anything like the road link, just the standard Force 1 rear derailleur. I've had this setup for a few years and have raced many 70.3 and 140.3's with it - hilly like St George/CdA and flat like IMAZ. On my road bike I have a similar setup but use the SRAM X-sync 52t chainring. To be honest I don't notice any difference between the two setups. I've never dropped the chain on either setup, ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclist who TT's in stage races or standalone TT.
Running a Q ring with a sram cx1 RD
Gearing is 54-11/28 which is fine for me, except I drop chains pretty often (4 times when I used a regular RD, 3 times with the clutch RD)
Happened on my last TT which kills me, looking for a Q ring Narrow Wide alternative but their isn't much out there...
Gearing wise, consider that: do you use your small ring?
Quote Reply
Re: 1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations [runitaly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runitaly wrote:
wolftooth makes a non round ring

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/elliptical-drop-stop-chainrings

But max number of teeth is 42?
Quote Reply
Re: 1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
refthimos wrote:
Stefano wrote:

This. Although the Arc is much closer to round than oval, it's fantastic and I've yet to drop a chain on it (1 season on the 54 and 1 season on the 58). I have the alu 52t for training as well which is a good option if you don't plan on seeing high speeds.

I have a 54t which has worked well for me so far. However, given the lack of focus on 110 bcd, it seems best to look elsewhere for reliable supply.
Quote Reply
Re: 1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakesdk wrote:
Grill wrote:
refthimos wrote:
Stefano wrote:

I have a 54t which has worked well for me so far. However, given the lack of focus on 110 bcd, it seems best to look elsewhere for reliable supply.

Except you can get their rings in 110bcd... In fact you can get them in any bcd you like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Minimum 3 weeks delivery."

Could be anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always just email and ask for an expected delivery date. They're bespoke carbon, which is what allows for any drilling. Strikes me as pretty rich to actually complain about being catered for...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i guess it just matters to me if i know if i can order a replacement within a reasonable time estimate.

I have previously ordered the new dura ace pattern and after several weeks of waiting i was asked if i could send in my cranks to have the bespoke bcd made. I ended up ordering a 110 bcd from their current stock, which has worked fine.

But the 110 BCD stock is sold out. Apparantly not being replinished. And previous experience of ordering bespoke bcd is not something i would like to rely upon if i need a replacement. Also, the aluminium training rings are not offered at all as 110 bcd.

If none of this is relevant to you, then fine by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9100 DA is unique. All patterns have to be made from something, so you were the first.
By all means order from something that is perpetually available if that's what's important to you, but quality parts with narrow applications are always going to be short on supply. I'm sure alu 110 will be available if there's enough demand (out here most people race on big rings using P2M or Quarq thus the 130bcd).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I didnt know about those chainrings. I will email them and ask them for any estimated delivery time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know which electronic RD would work with a 11-34 or 11-36 cassette?
And what brand of cassette would be recommended for that setup?

I've read about ultegra ui2 SS and GS, but don't know if the GS is REALLY necessary for a bigger cassette.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For larger than a 32 I would definitely go GS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolute Black makes an oval 1x NW chainring, but it is currently only 50t, although site says 52t and 54t are coming soon
https://absoluteblack.cc/...criterium-chainring/
Quote Reply
Re: 1xBuilt - Thoughs/Recommendations [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
Absolute Black makes an oval 1x NW chainring, but it is currently only 50t, although site says 52t and 54t are coming soon
https://absoluteblack.cc/...criterium-chainring/

Been saying that for as long as i can remember...
Quote Reply