Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1up rack and disc wheel and 90 front any worries?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone I believe I read a long time ago about mounting your bike on your bike rack with your race wheels could flex or bend or mess them up? Not sure what rack at the time was being talking about but anyways here is my question. Have a 6 hour drive with 70-80 mph freeway speeds. The rack is behind a F-150 with a bed cover, with a 2 bike setup from 1up. I have 90mm wheels on front and back with a disc cover on back. Any reason to sweat the air bothering the wheels? If so I can throw my training wheels on there for the trip. Just want some opinions from the experts. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 1up rack and disc wheel and 90 front any worries? [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anybody??
Quote Reply
Re: 1up rack and disc wheel and 90 front any worries? [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it with 60 and it's okay. Now I just put my bike in the back (Subaru Outback).

Quote | Reply
have done it many times with the thule rack that is similar. should be fine. if you are that concerned, throw a couple velcro ties around the bottom of the wheels to the rack.
Quote Reply
Re: 1up rack and disc wheel and 90 front any worries? [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not so much worried about it going anywhere. More to the effect of the wind hitting that disc cover and possibly warping it or some effect messing up the true of the wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anybody else have an opinion on this? I know many on here sometimes have an opinion on stuff............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 1up rack. No problem with long drives and deep race wheels, including a solid disc.

However, I would not be comfortable with a disc cover of the wheelbuilder.com variety. The plastic bolts and/or tape may not be sufficient to hold that sucker on. I'd replace just the disc cover wheel with a training wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: 1up rack and disc wheel and 90 front any worries? [bmcguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently drove a friend home with dual Flo 90s with my 1up rack.

The bike was perfect in the rack and didn't seem to catch any more wind than it does with my shallower rims. (I really like the 1up because the rack does not touch the bike or the wheel... just the tire.)

I read some generic advice about not transporting your bike with a disk wheel for the reasons mentioned by others (why put the lateral wind stress on the wheel if you have other options?) Unfortunately, i can't find a link

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not transport with you training wheels with the race wheels in the cab?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: 1up rack and disc wheel and 90 front any worries? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah probably just going to do that. A bit of a hassle lugging around wheels but easy enough........
Quote Reply