Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st long distance race: Finisher gift
Quote | Reply
Dear triathletes,

since I have no idea about triathlon (yet), I need your help: This summer, my husband (37) will participate in his first long distance triathlon (Roth/Germany). Of course we will accompany him along with his club and I would like to prepare/buy a gift for him as a "finisher gift". Now, apart from the normal stuff (t-shirt, towel and all you can buy with the race name on it), what would you appreciate as a memory of your first long distance race? I was thinking of getting some of the professional photos but that will not be ready for him at the finish line... Any ideas would help!

Thank you very much in advance :)
Kind regards from Switzerland,
Julia
Quote Reply
Re: 1st long distance race: Finisher gift [Julia85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something unique to the town or area is nice.

In Germany, a beer waiting at the finish line wpuld be greatly appreciated!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post is pretty sweet, it's great that you've taken the time to come here and ask.

I'm assuming that you're talking about Challenge Roth?
I've seen some people have their medal etc framed with a certificate (I think?) that shows their time and has their name and race number on it, and hung on the wall in their home. I've always thought of that as a good way to remember the day, it would also be a good conversation starter when you have visitors.

Also, +1 on the beer suggestion above
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supporting him through the training and the race is a pretty good gift but I'd see what catches my eye around town and then go buy it while you have 6ish hours to burn while he is on the bike :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello and thank you so much for your fast replies :)

Yes, it will be the Datev Challenge Roth in July. I really like all of your ideas and will def prepare/buy what is needed (not sure if I'm allowed into the finish area with a beer?).

Thanks again and best of luck for all of your races 2015!
Julia :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Ironman Regensburg a couple years ago and there was a poster that was maybe 11"x17" (?) that announced the race. They had stacks of them at check in and at random parts of the course, in addition to being hung on about every street light within 100 miles of the course. I thought it was really cool that it was all in German (I'm from the US), so I grabbed one and took it home with me. A few months later my dad framed it as a birthday present. So that was really cool.

It's along the same lines as the the finishers medal, bib, and time all framed up in a nice little package. You can get those everywhere; a quick google search had http://www.endurancenation.us/...rs/finishlineframes/ as the first result. The race flyer was a little different spin on it and I like that more than if I had my bib/medal framed.

But in general, whatever you get him, get him something specific to that race or to Roth itself. In my opinion, I also wouldn't worry too much about it being finish line ready. You already get your medal (and to be done with the race) at the finish line and the average finisher is in no mood for anything other than eating and/or vomiting, and then passing out, so, again this is just my opinion, I would save the present giving until a later time.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just supporting your husband during training and being there is probably the best gift you can possibly offer.

If your intention is to give him something AT the finish line, the best gift you can give at that point is a kiss, a hug, make it clear that you're proud of him, and then offer to carry some of his stuff. :-) Seriously, for many people, lugging race gear and a bike back to a hotel room after a long distance race can be a unique version of misery.

Later, massages and whatever food he craves will be most welcome.

Framed photos, metals and souvenirs from Roth are all great ideas, but I wouldn't worry about whether you're able to provide them immediately. The post-race buzz will last a while and handing your husband a gift the following morning or even the following week will still be awesome.

The best thing you can give him AT the finish line is you.
Last edited by: Iron Buckeye: Feb 1, 15 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: 1st long distance race: Finisher gift [duffy-san] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffy-san wrote:
But in general, whatever you get him, get him something specific to that race or to Roth itself. In my opinion, I also wouldn't worry too much about it being finish line ready. You already get your medal (and to be done with the race) at the finish line and the average finisher is in no mood for anything other than eating and/or vomiting, and then passing out, so, again this is just my opinion, I would save the present giving until a later time.

Right. ^ This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're as supportive as you appear, he should be the one asking what he should buy you for helping him get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super nice of you I want to do this. Honestly, when I did my first full distance race I bought stuff for the people who had supported/put up with me for the months leading up to it. The hours being gone, the understanding when I left the house before 5am or had to run or ride super late. All the meals my girlfriend had ready when I got home. The support from her and my family helped get me through it. Doing that for your husband will be appreciated more than you can know.

That being said, he will likely have a special connection to the area where his first full distance race is, especially a race as awesome as Roth. I know Cozumel is a special place to me for this reason. I would get him something unique to the area where the race is. Germany is an awesome country and you'll definitely be able to find something memorable from there.

Quote | Reply
I love this post. Having your family support your training is huge. It is a huge commitment and takes up a lot of time away from family. Also, to have your loved ones there at the race means everything. How would it feel to drive hours to a race and be there alone?

Iron Buckeye wrote:
Just supporting your husband during training and being there is probably the best gift you can possible offer.

If your intention is to give him something AT the finish line, the best gift you can give at that point is a kiss, a hug, make it clear that you're proud of him, and then offer to carry some of his stuff. :-) Seriously, for many people, lugging race gear and a bike back to a hotel room after a long distance race can be a unique version of misery.

Later, massages and whatever food he craves will be most welcome.

Framed photos, metals and souvenirs from Roth are all great ideas, but I wouldn't worry about whether you're able to provide them immediately. The post-race buzz will last a while and handing your husband a gift the following morning or even the following week will still be awesome.

The best thing you can give him AT the finish line is you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for all your ideas and great posts!

You're right, it can be hard sometimes but supporting and caring is the least I can do (not that I can do much, but I hope that accompanying training runs by bike / trips to the local pool and trying to keep his time free for training session does help a bit. Really enjoy watching him progress and the excitement leading up to races) :)

Also, waiting for a few hours/days sounds like a good idea. I didn't think of how exhausted finishers must be... thanks for reminding me! Will have a look around Roth for something unique and prepare to take on the drivers part & food/drink supply on the way back ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot's of good suggestions already. What i did for my wife's first big triathlon was an engraved cowbell. Sounds goofy I know. But i bought a hefty duty cowbell (not one of the cheap clinkers). I then had it engraved with her name, the special event and date, and then a slogan. I had done beforehand and brought it to the event. I clanged it as part of the cheerleader role that we play as supporters during the race and at the end of the race, I had it there for her. She liked the whole idea that it was part of the event sort of.

Anyway, that's my idea to you question. Whatever you decide, just being there through the training and supporting him that day is a super gift from any family member.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st long distance race: Finisher gift [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooohh - I like that!!! I've never done a long race, but just having someone greet you at the finish line is great.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st long distance race: Finisher gift [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
If you're as supportive as you appear, he should be the one asking what he should buy you for helping him get there.

^^^^ THIS!

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just you being there will be memorable enough. Try and get out on the course as much as you can to cheer him on and maybe a good spot near the end will help him tremendously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's a guy. You're a lady and pretty hot (at least this is your husband envisions it). Guys like hot ladies, especially when they like them back. You're the gift.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply