Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice
Quote | Reply
I run around 120 miles per month every month and have for years. The only injury I have had was a sprained ankle. With that, I just got an expensive brace and laced it up tight and continued running with no problem.

Yesterday, I somehow rubbed a blister on the outside of my toe. I have never done anything like this. It is super tiny; just a tiny little red spot, but it burns like a mofo when I plant.

How do I fix it/wrap it/treat it/deaden it to where I can go run later? Band-aid and neosporin? Or would the neosporin cause the band-aid to rub on it?

Im also going to do a spin class later, so hopefully it doesnt hurt to bad for that.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most medical professionals will say to never pop a blister but the quickest and best relief I have ever found for blisters is to pop them as early as possible. I have gone the don't pop route and find it takes a 1 day problem and turns it into a week or more long problem.

I use to get blisters popped at the podiatrist but am now just popping on my own. It increases your risk of infection but have found with proper precaution that can be avoided.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's small, don't pop it unless it persists for more than a few days. Put a dab of vaseline on it and man up already!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a tiny blister is your largest problem, I suggest that your account be suspended for whining about that. Sheesh man, talk about minute 1st world problems!

OK OK...don't pop it. Take a few days off running if you have to....you're a 120 mile per week runner, it won't hurt to dial it back a few days....hit the pool or you can probably ride with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decided not to pop it. I went with a band and with duct tape over it. Seems to be doing fine.

Almost had an excuse to spend more time in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
you're a 120 mile per week runner

per month

OP, I've spent the last few years on the "pop as soon as possible" train and it has minimized any downtime; always able to run the next day, and I've had some horrific blisters. Pop, peel, neosporin, wrap, sleep, run. Anything I've left to run its course has been a cycle of misery; up to a week of festering blisterhood.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a healthy dose of this.

But seriously - what all the other guys said. Pop it. If your immune system is OK, and you don't go dredging through your local sewage treatment plant, you should be perfectly fine. Poke a cleanish needle in it and push the fluid out. If you do this before bed it should be dried out the next morning and you should be ready to run again. The skin will peel off in a week or so and it'll be like nothing ever happened.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A blister is not a debilitating injury:
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

No kidding, It's not really even an injury. More like a nuisance,

HTFU ;-)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:

I thought this thread was a troll attempt when I first read it.

In the field when things like this happened "doc" had 3 canned solutions:
- Take some Motrin
- Change your socks
- Suck it up, buttercup.

That last choice was usually the best.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it sounds unbearable... amputate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also try using Desitin or other 'baby butt creams' - they are intended to take excess moisture away, therefore you don't need to pop the blister and disturb the skin. Cover in cream - cover with bandaid or other and sleep it off.

Quote | Reply
What is odd is, I wear the same socks every time I run.Ran the same route in the same shoes with the same stride. Yet this the 1st blister I have ever had.

At least with a sprain, strain or pulled muscle you can brace things to where you can continue. This thing just sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I run around 120 miles per month every month and have for years. The only injury I have had was a sprained ankle. With that, I just got an expensive brace and laced it up tight and continued running with no problem.

Yesterday, I somehow rubbed a blister on the outside of my toe. I have never done anything like this. It is super tiny; just a tiny little red spot, but it burns like a mofo when I plant.

How do I fix it/wrap it/treat it/deaden it to where I can go run later? Band-aid and neosporin? Or would the neosporin cause the band-aid to rub on it?

Im also going to do a spin class later, so hopefully it doesnt hurt to bad for that.

Thanks.

Spenco 2nd Skin AquaHeal Hydrogel Bandages

This product has been out for +30 years in various forms. Outstanding product as it feels like the skin has been replaced and friction is down to zero.

It's like a thickened form of jello with a thin plastic backing.

Put it on after showering and it will probably last 12-24 hours. Beside blisters it's great for burns.

Don't know why this product isn't more widely known other than there are other products with 2nd skin in the name and maybe a lack of marketing.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Debilitating Injury... Blister on Toe: Need Advice [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I'd recommend too. When I don't pop blisters, they tend to expand and become much larger and more painful. Pop, remove the blister, triple antibiotic (or neosporin), small bandage. Open wounds universally heal more rapidly when kept moist. This is critical.
I remember when I was young and never had injuries. That was about a lifetime ago.

renorider wrote:
OP, I've spent the last few years on the "pop as soon as possible" train and it has minimized any downtime; always able to run the next day, and I've had some horrific blisters. Pop, peel, neosporin, wrap, sleep, run. Anything I've left to run its course has been a cycle of misery; up to a week of festering blisterhood.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply