Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span
Quote | Reply
This study reinforces what everybody already knows, exercise gives you a longer life.
Amazingly, running extends life spans more than other forms of fitness.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/...rs-to-your-life.html

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2odave is gonna live to be 346 years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run 4 hours per day -> immortality!
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
h2odave is gonna live to be 346 years old.

Nah, would look like a prune

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was also an efficiency study which basically said that 60 minutes of exercise a day gives 90 minutes back in efficiency. Exercising saves time!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I run 300 hours per year for 30 years, or 9000 hours, that means I gain 63,000 hours or 7.19 years. OK that almost feels believeable that I "might" gain 7 years to my lifespan running 6 days per week for an hour for 30 years vs sitting around doing nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to believe that at the same intensity, swimming and cycling could not do the same
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I couldn't figure out.
I'll speculate that running impact somehow gives the body a hidden benefit that lower impact exercises cannot deliver.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
It's hard to believe that at the same intensity, swimming and cycling could not do the same

Swimming and cycling you don't have to balance on one leg while visually processing the world around you and reacting stride to stride. Big difference in terms of how this affects aging. Watch an old person walk up and down stairs to understand this better or cross a street in busy pedestrian traffic. Running actually translates to many day to day life activities. Cycling or swimming won't improve your coordination while balancing and they are non weight bearing....so they may help organs and soft tissue, but that's about it. At least swimming has some neurally complex work going on. There is not much to cycling technique, although processing the world coming at you at speed is helpful as you age...but since you're not doing it balancing on your feet, the only useful thing that the biking neural processing will mainly benefit is driving a car.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Blacky wrote:

Swimming and cycling you don't have to balance on one leg while visually processing the world around you and reacting stride to stride. Big difference in terms of how this affects aging. Watch an old person walk up and down stairs to understand this better or cross a street in busy pedestrian traffic. Running actually translates to many day to day life activities. Cycling or swimming won't improve your coordination while balancing and they are non weight bearing....so they may help organs and soft tissue, but that's about it. At least swimming has some neurally complex work going on. There is not much to cycling technique, although processing the world coming at you at speed is helpful as you age...but since you're not doing it balancing on your feet, the only useful thing that the biking neural processing will mainly benefit is driving a car.

Swimming is helpful in preventing falls in older people.

"Men in the study who swam were 33 percent less likely to fall compared with all men in the study. [/url]In contrast, the men who did other forms of exercise — including golfing, doing calisthenics, working out on treadmills or stationary bikes, or playing lawn bowling games (similar to Bocce ball) — were no less likely to fall, the researchers found. "Unlike [with] land-based sports, swimmers are required to create their own base of support and at the same time, to produce a coordinated movement of both upper and lower extremities," said study author Dafna Merom, an associate professor of physical activity and health at the University of Western Sydney in Australia.
The researchers also found that the swimmers did better on a test of "postural sway," compared with the average of all men in the study. In this test of standing balance, a person is asked to stand as still as possible for 30 seconds, and researchers measure how much his or her body moves, at the waist level, from the center position.
http://www.livescience.com/48336-swimming-best-exercise-older-adults.html
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
If I run 300 hours per year for 30 years, or 9000 hours, that means I gain 63,000 hours or 7.19 years. OK that almost feels believeable that I "might" gain 7 years to my lifespan running 6 days per week for an hour for 30 years vs sitting around doing nothing.

But the 7 extra years will be with replacement hips and knees.... :)
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Blacky wrote:

"Men in the study who swam were 33 percent less likely to fall compared with all men in the study. [/url]In contrast, the men who did other forms of exercise — including golfing, doing calisthenics, working out on treadmills or stationary bikes, or playing lawn bowling games (similar to Bocce ball) — were no less likely to fall, the researchers found. "Unlike [with] land-based sports, swimmers are required to create their own base of support and at the same time, to produce a coordinated movement of both upper and lower extremities," said study author Dafna Merom, an associate professor of physical activity and health at the University of Western Sydney in Australia.
The researchers also found that the swimmers did better on a test of "postural sway," compared with the average of all men in the study. In this test of standing balance, a person is asked to stand as still as possible for 30 seconds, and researchers measure how much his or her body moves, at the waist level, from the center position.

Thanks for that. I really never thought that swimming would translate into any useful neural connections for coordination and balance on dry land, but it seems like there is an even more heightened awareness creating balance in the water with no hard link to dry land
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just hope my poor eating and alcohol consumption can undo some of the good effects of running. Life is plenty long. I don't need to drag it out any further!
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love running but hate being alive at 400 years ooooollllldddd!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

You'll gain 7 years on your life, but burn through 5 knees in the process!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: 1 Hour of Running Adds 7 Hours to your Life Span [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erin C. wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Blacky wrote:

I read a summary of a similar study within the last year or two in the U.S. Masters Swimming magazine Swimmer. I was pleasantly surprised to read that swimming enhances balance on land. While I don't think they separated out flip turners from open turners, I strongly suspect that flip turners had even better balance than open turners. Yet another reason to flip those turns!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply