Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1X Mountain Bike question
Quote | Reply
I am strongly considering going 1x on my MTB. Goal would be to do it on the cheap. Currently running a triple, planning to go with a narrow-wide chainring and a larger cassette. Plan is to drop front mech, shifter, and cut chain down. For those in the know, do I have to run either a clutch-style rear mech or a chain catcher or can I skip both and just get the nw chainring and cassette?

Thanks

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Re: 1X Mountain Bike question [gluestick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gluestick wrote:
I am strongly considering going 1x on my MTB. Goal would be to do it on the cheap. Currently running a triple, planning to go with a narrow-wide chainring and a larger cassette. Plan is to drop front mech, shifter, and cut chain down. For those in the know, do I have to run either a clutch-style rear mech or a chain catcher or can I skip both and just get the nw chainring and cassette?

Thanks

You definitely don't *have to* run a clutch-style RD, but it helps with chain retention and reducing chain-slap. If you go with a wide-range cassette (e.g., 10-42) the clutch-style RD will help control the chain a bit. IMO a clutch-style RD is more important with the size of the cassette used (what you're asking of the RD in terms of chain wrap) than whether using 1x, 2x or 3x. Usually the fewer chainrings used the wider the gearing in the back, though.

The N-W chainring does a good job with chain retention, though problems can still arise, particularly with muddy conditions; most (all?) N-W ring manufacturers will tell you their chainrings don't work well for that.
Quote Reply
Re: 1X Mountain Bike question [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great feedback, thanks. I am thinking 11-42 cassette with mud a certainty. Any suggestions on an inexpensive Shimano option for the rear mech that would play nice with my sl m610 deore shifter?

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gluestick wrote:
Great feedback, thanks. I am thinking 11-42 cassette with mud a certainty. Any suggestions on an inexpensive Shimano option for the rear mech that would play nice with my sl m610 deore shifter?

you might want to look into other chain retention options up front. since you have a triple, you could run a bash ring (which might help avoid throwing the chain to the outside), and depending on your frame you may be able to fit something to prevent drops to the inside.

k-edge made a pretty cool catcher for cross conditions that basically fit over the top of the chain, but if memory serves it required a round seat tube.

anyway, you've got a 10s shifter; unless you're talking about some mix-and-match 10s 11-42 cassette, i assume you mean the shimano 11s 11-42. you will need to purchase any shimano 11s shifter (any level).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run 1 x on my CX bike with a narrow wide Sram ring and a Force CX1 rear mech.

Chain retention on REALLY muddy courses wasn't good!

I now run one of the K Edge CX braze on chain guides and have never had a problem since. It's a beautiful piece of kit - expensive but worth it. I'm sure there's all sorts of guides etc available for MTBs - might be worth using one. I don't personally own a MTB so my knowledge is a bit limited.

I love 1 x !!!!!!

LG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the OP wants to use his existing rear shifter, both Praxis and Sunrace make a 11-40 ten speed cassette compatible with shimano.
The Praxis is much lighter and more expensive, but the Sunrace matches its functionality at a much lower price.

IMO, I think the clutch derailluers work better than narrow/wide for 1x and chain drop prevention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aftermarket narrow-wide chainring up front, and then SRAM GX1 shifter and rear clutch derailleur and a Shimano xt 11-42 cassette.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
gluestick wrote:

you might want to look into other chain retention options up front. since you have a triple, you could run a bash ring (which might help avoid throwing the chain to the outside), and depending on your frame you may be able to fit something to prevent drops to the inside.

k-edge made a pretty cool catcher for cross conditions that basically fit over the top of the chain, but if memory serves it required a round seat tube.

anyway, you've got a 10s shifter; unless you're talking about some mix-and-match 10s 11-42 cassette, i assume you mean the shimano 11s 11-42. you will need to purchase any shimano 11s shifter (any level).

I am unsure if my hub is 11 speed compatible. I see that Suntour does a 10 speed 11-42. I am thinking 10 speed Shimano rear mech, 1x chainring, and cassette and be done with it.

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i run a shimano slx 10 speed rear derailleur and zee shifter on a 11-36 cassette with a raceface 30t nw chainring up front and have never had a drop. i like the 10 speed 36t cassette with a smaller ring up front over a 40 with a bigger ring up front because it gives small jumps between shifts. just my 2 cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gluestick wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
gluestick wrote:

I am unsure if my hub is 11 speed compatible. I see that Suntour does a 10 speed 11-42. I am thinking 10 speed Shimano rear mech, 1x chainring, and cassette and be done with it.

Shimano 11s MTB cassettes are dished so they work on 10s hubs without modification. This is possible because the large cogs have a large diameter as opposed to road cassettes.

The sram 11s cassettes require a new freehub due (which may or may not be possible depending on your wheel) due to the use of a 10T small cog.
Quote Reply
Re: 1X Mountain Bike question [ddimaline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see the wisdom in the smaller spread on the cassette. I already own an 11-36, so a 30 tooth chain ring may do the trick. I noticed most 30 tooth nw chain rings have threaded bolt holes. I am wondering why this is and how it affects compatibly. I am looking to bolt this onto my stock crank- an inexpensive FSA MegaExo currently set up as a triple. I know I need the single ring chain ring bolts but don't understand the threads on the bolt holes.

-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 30t race face nw and it does directly bolt to the crank. My belief is that the direct bolt is because of the lack of materials due to the size of the ring. I'm not sure about your specific crank but as long as the bcd (bolt circle diameter) match then you should be good to go. Worse case scenario email the company and ask them about comparability.
Quote Reply
Re: 1X Mountain Bike question [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Aftermarket narrow-wide chainring up front, and then SRAM GX1 shifter and rear clutch derailleur and a Shimano xt 11-42 cassette.

Best budget option right here. shimano's 11-42 will fit "normal" 10 speed mountain bike hubs.
Quote Reply