Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man
Quote | Reply
Here are the full results and some photos from the 1986 and 1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man triathlon in Vermont. I have a lot more results from early 1980s triathlons in New England if there is any interest:
http://recoveryourstride.blogspot.com/...ntain-steel-man.html

http://recoveryourstride.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [TDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome...thanks for sharing

any chance you have the lake sunapee results from like 96 or 97? (shot in the dark here..)
Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [butch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
butch wrote:
any chance you have the lake sunapee results from like 96 or 97? (shot in the dark here..)

I may have them somewhere. I will have to do some checking.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much....1986 Green Mountain Steelman was my first half IM....I had no clue what I was doing (I was 20). In my memory it was a sub 5, but usually your stories get better with age, but now I see that it was a 4:54 off a 33 min swim 2:43 bike and 1:33 run. We had no clue about nutrition, this was pre aerobars on an insanely tough course (there is nothing flat near Brattleboro)....and it was a no wetsuit swim (that swim must have been short, as I have no clue that I could even swim that fast back then). Now I have a new target for Oceanside in 4 weeks....beat those splits from 86.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I remember being passed on the first major climb by this guy who was the size of a twig....he just shot up like a cannon. Turns out it was Kenny Souza. I just looked at the splits and I was out of the water 4 min before him. I also remember the day being crazy hot and read your attached article and glad that my memory is accurate.

Bike course profile:

Run course profile

Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like you beat me by a little more than a minute and 3 places. Nice race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a small world...nice to see that we're still around at this stuff. I'm still shaking my head when I saw the results. That was harder than any day I have done at St. Croix or Wildflower, with shitty gear, nothing aero, no energy drinks (I had water and granola bars) and really crappy training (although earlier in May of that year I had ridden from Nice to Genoa to Milan to Venice to Cortina d'Ampezzo to Innsbruck to Garmisch to Zurich, to Basel to Freibourg on a 2.5 week bike tour...then rented a car and drove to Amsterdam with a buddy and we partied out brains out like 20 year olds would do in Amsterdam "back in the day".....moral of the story is that it pays to be young and have knees and achilles tendons that don't have 27 more years of mileage on them! I probably needed whatever training I did for that half IM to cleanse the 4 days of partying in Amsterdam out of my body...

There are a few pictures at my parent's place from this race that my dad took. Let me see if I can find them and scan them in. Great memories, thanks for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TDF wrote:
It looks like you beat me by a little more than a minute and 3 places. Nice race!

I was just out spectating the 70.3 at Tremblant with 5000 athletes on the mountain this weekend split between the 5150 and 70.3 and realized it is 30 years since i did my first half IM in Vermont at age 20. Pretty cool. Thanks for posting this thread...the older we get the studlier the old stories are, but I am glad you posted proof of it!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of my best friends was the RD. I'll send this along-what a hoot!
Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frenchfried wrote:
one of my best friends was the RD. I'll send this along-what a hoot!

Can you send your RD friend my thanks too. I actually got a rolldown slot for Kona that race but never took it as I was shelled after the race. My dad was saying they called my name out and if I wanted to go to Hawaii and I was sitting there with my head between my legs with a bud light and a pile of ice still recovering a few hours later at awards thinking, "this insane....how the heck do they do double the distance"....then again 20 year olds have ood top line engines but tend to fade over these long races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TDF wrote:
Here are the full results and some photos from the 1986 and 1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man triathlon in Vermont. I have a lot more results from early 1980s triathlons in New England if there is any interest:
http://recoveryourstride.blogspot.com/...ntain-steel-man.html

In case you check your ST account, I just matched (actually beat), my time from 1986 (35 years ago). 4:54.11 this weekend vs 4:54.20 in 1986. OK, it was a flat course in cool weather, with wetsuit swim and aero bike gear this year. In1986, was crazy not, endless hills in Vermont (I think if the race director found any flat land he rerouted the course and cut a climb into side of mountain, no aero gear, no wetsuit swim.

But to hit the same time 35 years later over the same distances even with better equipment and easier course was a win especially after a pandemic and all the stress in life that came with that

• 33 + 2:43 + 1:33 in 1986
  • 31 + 2:29 + 1:48 in 2021

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just ridden 143 miles on the west side of Vermont yesterday, I would love to see anything like this make a comeback. I’m only 32 and did my first triathlon at 19, but I already feel like an old man saying things like “back in my day courses were hilly and hard, none of this highway nonsense!” I also grew up an hour west of Brattleboro, so this is really fun to read about.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timbikerun wrote:
Having just ridden 143 miles on the west side of Vermont yesterday, I would love to see anything like this make a comeback. I’m only 32 and did my first triathlon at 19, but I already feel like an old man saying things like “back in my day courses were hilly and hard, none of this highway nonsense!” I also grew up an hour west of Brattleboro, so this is really fun to read about.

what are the larger triathlons that happen in VT, if there are any? Seems like it would be a good place to have some races.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job on beating that time from 1986. That is quite an impressive feat!

Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing large, unfortunately. The only VT triathlons I know of are the Vermont Sun series at Lake Dunmore, close to Middlebury.

At one point AG nationals was in Burlington. Would be cool to see that return but USAT seems married to Milwaukee.

I’d like to see half or even a full distance race that includes some of the epic climbs. The green mountains are the best. Tough to say if there’s sufficient infrastructure for a 2000+ person event though, outside of Burlington maybe.

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Re: 1986-1987 Green Mountain Steel-Man [Timbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timbikerun wrote:
Nothing large, unfortunately. The only VT triathlons I know of are the Vermont Sun series at Lake Dunmore, close to Middlebury.

At one point AG nationals was in Burlington. Would be cool to see that return but USAT seems married to Milwaukee.

I’d like to see half or even a full distance race that includes some of the epic climbs. The green mountains are the best. Tough to say if there’s sufficient infrastructure for a 2000+ person event though, outside of Burlington maybe.

I think there is almost no market for extremely difficult full distance if you need 2000 for the economics. Whistler, Tahoe did and let's see what happens to the return of the St. George full.

I think there is a market for 500-800 person difficult half IM that is a locally run event but even Savageman sadly wrapped up.

My estimate was the bike course in 1986 was in excess of 1400m vertical and more than 400m vertical on the run. It was crazy tough. My 1:33 half marathon was something I just winged on my fitness from bike touring in Europe that spring. I biked for three weeks around 2500km loaded down with camping gear and touring equipment and was in formidable shape for a 20 year old but not in any tri specific shape.

2 weeks later at the end of August I ran 7:08 on the 1.5 mile run on my military fitness test in military issued running shoes on a road loop. To out this in perspective that was 4:43 mile pace and not on a track. So my 4:54 on that half Ironman was not at all proportional to my engine and my fitness. If I knew what I know now about triathlon and pacing I suspect I could have done a mid 4:3x. My idea of pacing each hill was attacking every hill like I was Bernard Hinault trying to drop Lemond on a stage finish....rinse and repeat. Truly clueless of what I was doing.

Kenny Souza won this race on 4:16. That shows you how hard the course was.

Of course like anything that happened 35 years ago it gets more legendary the more you think about it, but that part of Vermont only has flats on the swim course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TDF wrote:
Great job on beating that time from 1986. That is quite an impressive feat!

Well as I said if I had to do Green mountain again on that course on that day with the equipment I had with not much more than Water and figs I am not sure how heroic today's time would be lol
Quote Reply