Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL
Quote | Reply
I did a very enjoyable event last weekend in Sebring, FL. It was a 12 hour bike race. About 70 fools showed up for the exhaustion fest. Conditions were very good, except for the wind which was typically tough in that part of the state.

Another dozen or so did the 24 hour RAAM qualifier. Some of those guys were absolutlely amazing. They would periodically lap me on the 11 mile loop going too fast for me to even suck wheel. I thought I could suck wheel with the best of them, but apparently not.

This event is still small, but it seems to get bigger every year. You might want to add this to your calendar for next year. http://www.bikesebring.org/
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun. I think this was asked before but I can't remember the answer - is this on the old Sebring sports car track by any chance. Back in the 60's the 12 Hours of Sebring was a sports car race - Ford GT40's, Cobras, Ferraris, Porsches, Jaguars, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the website http://www.bikesebring.org/races.html

"Event starts at the historic 12 Hours of Sebring Race Track."

My guess is that it is the same track.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we started by doing three laps around the track. The RAAM guys did the last 12 hours on the track.

Judging by the noise, there is plenty of racing on the track. Racing is a big season there that ends around March 21. After that, the town folds up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, Art! That's a heck of an accomplishment and a terrific launch to your IM LP training.

Keep at it!
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was pretty happy to grind out 206 miles in that wind. I used the tri bike the whole way with the disc. If I were to do it next year, I might start with the road bike for the first 100 mile loop. I was spit out the back of a fantastic group of about 8 riders around the 65 mile point. Maybe I could have held onto them with my road bike. Than again, maybe not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Art,

I see you on this board all the time and am bummed that I didn't meet up with you at Sebring. Agree that it was a fun day, though the wind was a little much. I was toying with the idea of doing 24 until my knees started to hurt and the beer in my cooler started looking good. You doing Bike Across FL on 4/18?
Stevie (silver TitanFlex)
PS, I used to race vintage cars and have many hours on the Sebring track. Kinda different at 18-20 instead of 130-150...
Last edited by: Ironstevie: Mar 4, 04 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [Ironstevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did meet up with you. I noticed the Titanflex and asked you about it before the race. Seems like everyone who has that bike likes it.

I won't be doing the Cross Florida ride this year. That ride has such terrible roads to ride on. I don't feel safe and so I don't enjoy it.

Knew I forgot something. No beer in my cooler.

I haven't found results anywhere. How about you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to both you guys - sounds like you had a good time.

Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks. I forgot to mention the best part of the race. We didn't even have to run a marathon afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was before the race, I don't remember anything other than "it's frickin freezing here Mr. Biggelsworth..."

I emailed you the results spreadsheet I got from Mark Andrews but got some strange "you are a spammer" response from your system. Let me know an alternative way and I'll send them over.

Later
Last edited by: Ironstevie: Mar 5, 04 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: 12 hour bike race at Sebring, FL [Ironstevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the results. It seemed like there were some very strong riders there, but only one rider was able to get anywhere near the 425 qualifier standard. He squeaked in with 431 miles in 24 hours. I couldn't keep up with most of those guys on a bet, yet they couldn't make the cut.

I guess I am not RAAM bound anytime soon. No surprise there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
425? Damn...that's around 17 mph. I thought RAAM averages ~14 mph.

Quote Reply