Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10spd to 11spd advice
Quote | Reply
need everyones help. i currently have a tri bike that is being upgraded under warranty to the new style frame. i have been thinking about purchasing a new tri bike to get one with 11 speed my current one is 10 speed. since the frame is being upgraded because of warranty issues i asked if i could just get a credit and purchase a new model and they offered me $200 on a 2 yr old bike. so this is not going to happen but i have talked with the lbs and they are working me up a price on an 11 speed upgrade. currently i have ultegra 6700 i think could be 6800 don't remember. here is the big problem with this upgrade i will have to upgrade the wheels because my current wheels are not 11 speed compatible and the original wheels that came on the bike are not 11 speed compatible. so i don't know what the upgrade to the drivetrain is going to cost yet but i do know that wheels are going to be anywhere from $1600 to $2200. is this upgrade really worth it or should i have them just put my old components back on? a new bike is around $4000 but comes with stock aluminum wheels so add wheels back in and I'm at $6000 so it is definitely cheaper to do the upgrade. the question is. is it worth the expense? i could sell my carbon wheels and get some money back but not much. any advice appreciated.

ps: i do have a newer road bike that is 11 speed and have been wanting to upgrade its wheels so i would be able to use one set of wheels for both bikes for now.
Quote Reply
Re: 10spd to 11spd advice [jmdboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of wheels? Can you not covert them to 11spd? It cost me about $240 to do my Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: 10spd to 11spd advice [kanman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are 2012 american classics and would probably need to be redished. i really haven't looked into that but have talked to lbs about it and they where not sure if that could even be done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides making your wallet lighter, what exactly do you think you will get out of this move to 11 speed? Both my road and tri bike are still 10 speed. My CX bike, just because I got it last year, is 11 speed. I doesn't make any difference to me to the point where I would spend hundreds of extra dollars and render the current 10 speed wheelsets I have useless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is supposed to let you run 11 speed on a 10 speed hub: http://www.trisports.com/...-speed-cassette.html

Could be one option if you're set on upgrading.
Quote Reply
Re: 10spd to 11spd advice [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats what i am really wondering if its worth the move other than being able to switch wheels easily between road and tri bike. i live in florida so most of my riding is on flat terrain. i am signed up for some races up north where i know i will be doing some climbing this year, but i did a tri in one of the hilliest parts of florida this past year and 10 speed worked fine. as for gear selection when i am riding my road bike vs tri bike i don't notice much. I'm not someone who says i should be using this gear to get up this hill or whatever if i need a another gear in the past i have been able to change and climb or stand up. i guess the big issue is not having multiple sets of wheels for each bike. i would like to have shallower wheels that i can train on and able to use on the road bike, but be able to go to the deeper dish wheels when racing.
Quote Reply
Re: 10spd to 11spd advice [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also this option from Token.

We use a CNC machine to cut the 11:10 Cassette from a single block of steel then press in a carbon carrier. This makes the cassette light, durable and because we manufacture it with precise tolerances, it shifts smoothly every time. What really makes this cassette unique is that it is an eleven-speed cassette that can fit on 9-11 speed cassette bodies. That means you can run your new 11-speed drivetrain without needing to replace your wheelset or cassette body. It will also fit 11 speed cassette bodies with the use of a shim.

11-23 158g
11-25 170g
11-28 185g

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to a shimano 11-speed drivetrain, and want to use your old (10-speed) wheels, this is a very easy and essentially free solution. Works great:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so it seems everyone doesn't seem the upgrade is worth it and if i want new wheels for my road bike just change the cog to the adaptor so i can run those on the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All 11 speed are cross compatible. I use a Wheel manufacturing Shimano to Campy 11 conversion hub. Works fine on everything and I can still use my 20+ year old Specialized Tri-spoke, which was made back when 8-speed was the best you could get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why not just save some money on wheels and get a set of flos. 30s are around $500 and the 60/60, 60/90 or 90/90 combos are less than 1k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an answer to whether you should make the change to 11 speed, but from some online info it appears that most American Classic wheelsets can be upgraded to a new 11 speed compatible freehub w/o redishing the wheel.

It appears you need to have a rear wheel with the 17mm axle. They have an identification doc here: http://www.amclassic.com/...ng_rear_road_hub.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coming late to this thread, but thought I'd chime in...I converted to Ultegra 6800 11 speed from Ultegra 6700 10 speed on my tri bike a year ago because I got a new road bike with 11 speed and wanted to interchange wheels between the bikes. Anyway, a year on, here are my observations:

1) Difference in function/performance on the tri bike with 11 speed 6800 vs. 10 speed 6700 is indistinguishable
2) I have used the method mentioned by DarkSpeedWorks to use an 11 speed cassette on my Zipp disc with 10 speed freehub; it's flawless. One thing I'll add is that you can drop the smallest cog on either an 11-23 or 12-25 cassette instead of one of the interior cogs, maintaining a nice tight block (I almost never use the biggest cog, anyway). I bought an extra 11 speed cog spacer for $3 to use behind the cassette.
3) Able to still use an 11 speed training wheel with full 11 speed cassette on the tri bike with no issues whatsoever, although having set the inside limit screw on the RD to prevent use of the largest cog (i.e. to accommodate using 10 cogs on race wheel).

My conclusion...glad I went to 11 speed to keep my bikes' drivetrains in sync, but knowing what I know, I wouldn't recommend converting to 11 speed on our tri bike if you don't need to. I can't tell any difference whatsoever in performance between 6700 and 6800 on my tri bike (on the road bike I do like the 6800 levers better and the FD is outstanding). If you do go 11 speed, though, I don't think there is anything gained by buying new wheels or swapping out freehubs just to accommodate a full 11 speed cassette, at least for triathlon purposes. DSW's solution works so perfectly, it's like that was how it's designed to be used. Using 12-25 and 11-23 11 speed cassettes, I have come up with a 10 cog setup for each race I've done and never felt like I was missing a gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so i don't know what the upgrade to the drivetrain is going to cost yet but i do know that wheels are going to be anywhere from $1600 to $2200. is this upgrade really worth it or should i have them just put my old components back on?

11spd will make you around 0.00% faster than 10spd. Plus the chains and cassettes typically cost more, shifting is more finicky, etc.

I prefer to spend money on things that at least have the potential to improve speed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on page 2 of slowtwitch. forum search works terrible so I wouldn't expect you to be able to find it. I'm thinking about doing this so I can upgrade to SRAM E-Tap and still use my current wheel set. there is a pic further down in the thread that helped me understand. looks super easy.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: 10spd to 11spd advice [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also this option from Token.

11spd cassettes that fit on 8-10spd hubs will never be a universal solution, since some 8-10 spd hubs and wheels do not have enough clearance for the cassette. You need to find 2.85 mm of extra space somewhere (either near the spokes or at the dropout) and use micro spacers to align it.

Quote Reply