Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10sp vs 11sp Cranks in 1x setup
Quote | Reply
I'm building a 1x setup for a Tri bike. I'm looking at Sram cranksets and I'm curious if there is any difference between the 10sp and 11sp cranksets (aside from the chainrings)? Also is there any reason to consider the Rival or Force 1x over a 10 or 11sp Red or Force crankset for a 1x setup?
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp vs 11sp Cranks in 1x setup [mattinnc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattinnc wrote:
(aside from the chainrings)?
Usually, the chainrings are compatible between the two. The Rival and Force CX1 rings are advertised as 10 and 11 speed.

The new mountain bike 1X setups changed with 12 speed, but the chainring is backwards compatible there too.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp vs 11sp Cranks in 1x setup [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm more concerned if there is a difference between the cranksets, without the chainrings. In a 1x setup I'll use a x-sync chainring, so I'm trying to determine if the cranks are the same and I could use either 10 or 11 sp cranks. Or is there a compelling reason​ to use the 1x force or rival cranksets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They may set up the chai line a little different on the 1x cranks, but I just use the 1x chainring on whatever crank I want. Currently using a Vision aero crankset with the SRAM 1x ring. Chainring bolts seem to be the only minor problem because the bolts bottom out a right when they tighten the ring. I need to get some of the Problem Solver 6mm bolts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattinnc wrote:
Thanks. I'm more concerned if there is a difference between the cranksets, without the chainrings. In a 1x setup I'll use a x-sync chainring, so I'm trying to determine if the cranks are the same and I could use either 10 or 11 sp cranks. Or is there a compelling reason​ to use the 1x force or rival cranksets.

There's no difference between the 1x crank and 2x crank other than the label. Even the spiders are the same. The SRAM 1x (called X-Sync) ring is offset a few mm by cutting from a much thicker piece of metal than most other chainrings. Having more things "the same" allows them to cut down on SKU's and hopefully lower production costs. A Force 22 crank is the same as a Force 1 crank. The spider on a Force 22 is the same as the one on a Force 1.

The offset of the SRAM X-Sync ring allows it to play nice on the outer position of a 2x ring on other cranks as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp vs 11sp Cranks in 1x setup [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
There's no difference between the 1x crank and 2x crank other than the label. Even the spiders are the same. The SRAM 1x (called X-Sync) ring is offset a few mm by cutting from a much thicker piece of metal than most other chainrings. Having more things "the same" allows them to cut down on SKU's and hopefully lower production costs. A Force 22 crank is the same as a Force 1 crank. The spider on a Force 22 is the same as the one on a Force 1.

The offset of the SRAM X-Sync ring allows it to play nice on the outer position of a 2x ring on other cranks as well.

The cranks and chain rings are interchangeable between 10-11 speed. Agree with the above. For my 1x setup I'm using a Force22 crankset and have a 110 and a 130 spider... haven't made up my mind if I want to stay with 50t or jump to 52 or 54.

If you are jumping from 10 to 11... you'll need a new chain, cassette and shifter. I'm assuming you have an 11 speed wheel with a spacer installed for 10 speed. If the wheel isn't compatible add that to the list too. Crank and chain ring will be fine with both 10 or 11.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp vs 11sp Cranks in 1x setup [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thanks for your reply. It gives me more options for finding a crankset that fits the budget...and still works in the 1x setup.
Quote Reply