Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10sp to 11sp upgrade
Quote | Reply
Hey All - Looking for some advice as my current ride is 10sp with Bontrager SSR wheelset. Long story short, bike currently has 105 components, but a friend purchased a new bike and went eTAP so he's giving me his 105 components (5800 front & rear derailleur as well as Dura Ace BSR1 11 speed shifters).

At this point I'm going to pick up a Lasco rear cassette and an 11 speed chain, but do I need to replace the existing crank? (Its a 105 10 speed crankset) Is there any benefit of upgrading the crank as I can find 11 speed 105 cranks pretty reasonably priced.

Any other gotchas or parts that will be needed? The existing shifter cables are only 2 months old, so I don't foresee any issues there.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [nyjetfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The major issue to check is whether your wheel set is 11-speed compatible. if your rear hub won't take an 11-speed cassette then suddenly it might not seem so cost effective. Same goes for any other wheels you might wish to use with that bike e.g. winter wheels or turbo trainer wheels.

Having said that the 5800 series 105 is a great all-round upgrade over the previous 10-speed series.

You don't need to upgrade the cranks but everyone likes a matching groupset :)
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
The major issue to check is whether your wheel set is 11-speed compatible. if your rear hub won't take an 11-speed cassette then suddenly it might not seem so cost effective. Same goes for any other wheels you might wish to use with that bike e.g. winter wheels or turbo trainer wheels.

Having said that the 5800 series 105 is a great all-round upgrade over the previous 10-speed series.

You don't need to upgrade the cranks but everyone likes a matching groupset :)

Well I was going to work around that by getting a Lasco 11 speed cassette which is machined down (1.8mm) so then the 11 speed cassette will fit on the 10 speed hub. This will let me get an easy path to 11 speed as I'd just have to get the cassette and then a crank if so desired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh right, I didn't realise that's what the Lasco cassette was; I've heard of people machining down cassettes themselves but didn't realise people actually sold them like that.

One other thing to note is that 11-speed chain master links are generally stated to be non-reusable by the manufacturers. I've reused my KMC one a few times, but in my experience they do get loose noticeably quicker than the old 10-speed ones. Might be worth investing in a few spares if you regularly take your chain off to clean it.

Other than that, go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:

One other thing to note is that 11-speed chain master links are generally stated to be non-reusable by the manufacturers. I've reused my KMC one a few times, but in my experience they do get loose noticeably quicker than the old 10-speed ones. Might be worth investing in a few spares if you regularly take your chain off to clean it.

Thanks for the tip on the master link. Will keep that in mind as this will be a weekend project this fall/winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd plan potentially needing to get new cables and shift housing. There is no guarantee that the existing ones will be the correct length. If they are too long then that is easy and trim them to size. But they can't magically grow if they are too short. Assuming they both were included since the previous owner wen eTap.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
I'd plan potentially needing to get new cables and shift housing. There is no guarantee that the existing ones will be the correct length. If they are too long then that is easy and trim them to size. But they can't magically grow if they are too short. Assuming they both were included since the previous owner wen eTap.

Just got the components and it included shift cables and housing as it wasn't installed due to going etap at day 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you're good probably. You made it sound like the cables were used.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
Then you're good probably. You made it sound like the cables were used.

The cables on bike now are about 2 months old and I wasn't expecting cAbles with the components but it was a pleasant surprise as it will help if they are needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok that now makes more sense. You meant your current shifters (10sp ones) and cables on there are 2 months old.

I personally would use new cables/housing if swapping to different shifter and derailleurs. If swapping derailleurs then I may reuse the same cable if it's not worn or old and the same housing also depending on situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nyjetfan wrote:
Well I was going to work around that by getting a Lasco 11 speed cassette which is machined down (1.8mm) so then the 11 speed cassette will fit on the 10 speed hub. This will let me get an easy path to 11 speed as I'd just have to get the cassette and then a crank if so desired.
I have 2x Lasco 11spd cassettes. It's an inexpensive upgrade path and they work fine. All my wheels are >20yrs old so the ability to put modern cassettes on old freehubs has been important. Next year I'll be buying a 3rd Lasco cassette for hilly races.

I didn't see any discussion of chains. I think that opinions differ on the need to run an 11spd chain. Near as I can tell it doesn't matter.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen the reference to the Lasko cassettes quite a bit, but haven't been able to find an online link. Can you please post one? Or is this a phone call only sort of option?
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email or phone call. I think it's a machine shop, so not really a retail outfit.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Email or phone call. I think it's a machine shop, so not really a retail outfit.

I figured they were probably a machine shop. I just haven't been able to find a link. Maybe it is the Lasko vs. Lasco I was using. Found some info on pricing and contact on DarkSpeedWorks site: http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I read on WW that the new Shimano cassettes were designed to wrap around the end of 10s hubs already?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
I thought I read on WW that the new Shimano cassettes were designed to wrap around the end of 10s hubs already?

I think that is only the 11-34 11 speed cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: 10sp to 11sp upgrade [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

I figured they were probably a machine shop. I just haven't been able to find a link. Maybe it is the Lasko vs. Lasco I was using. Found some info on pricing and contact on DarkSpeedWorks site: http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Yes, darkspeed's site is where I got the lead on Lasco.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply