Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10 years to competitive Ironman?
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm new to Slowtwitch so if this is the wrong place to post or anything please let me know!
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me come up with a basic long term training template, with a view to being competitive at 70.3 and ironman distance in 10 years.
I'm currently 20 years old, having been a competitive triathlete and swimmer up to the age of 16, and since maintaining a reasonable level of fitness playing various sports. I understand that the most important thing for now is to build my aerobic base, and am fully prepared to spend the next few years effectively "training to train for ironman."

I know this is an ambitious goal, but I think I have time on my side, and am not starting from scratch, just building upon a base that was established when I was younger.

I would be enormously grateful if anyone could give me some advice such as:
Year 1 do this, year 2 do that etc.

The ultimate dream is to qualify for Kona at the age of 30 - while perhaps unlikely it is a good source of motivation!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me, or even just input as to whether you think it is possible or not, I really appreciate it!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [beansontoast94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find what you enjoy about triathlon and make sure you're doing that.

I would just start training and building up gradually. Start working on your weaker sport. Get some different races in year 1 and see what you enjoy. If you have a local race series, jump in those and have some fun.

I don't think anyone can give much of a formula for how to build up to a kona spot. Just gradually increase your training year after year. Set some goals for each season and think about the milestones along the way. Probably 3-4yrs out you'll want to jump in an ironman and start being more specific about that race distance.

With a 10yr goal, you are obviously getting into this as part of your lifestyle. That will be the key to making it possible. Find out how to fit the training into your life, and the end goal will be remarkable attainable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing for running...Look up the BarryP training plan on this forum.
Last edited by: Triagain2(FTDA): Mar 3, 15 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 20 year old athlete wanting a long term developpement to reach high pertormance......

it s very simple, move to ITU short course racing, learn to be a fop swimmer, bike skills and fitness and learn to run very fast over the 5-10km distance. Race lots, gain lots of experience and work with a very good developpement coach that will adapt the training year after year.

this is your best plan to reach a high level at the ironman distance. 10 year of dedication would get mostly any age grouper athlete into a professional level ironman athletes if they are willing to put the time in.....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This.

You have to keep in mind that th IM is a long race and it takes a toll on the body. Those that most often succeed take years training their bodies to endure the distance. Your muscles, ligaments, systems,etc need time to adapt. To do this properly it often takes years of development. So the advice is simple....don't rush things. Master the basics, perfect the shorter distances, address your limitations, the progress as an athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice! Triathlon was a big part of my life until I was 16 when going to boarding school made training difficult. I actually won a lot of junior regional races but obviously am a bit out of it now. Theres a local sprint I could enter and see how I get on.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [Triagain2(FTDA)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. So focus on becoming good at shorter distance and gradually move up rather than focusing too much on improvement over longer courses right away?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Would you say it's not worth thinking too much about the longer distance until I've done well at short distance then? Or compete at short distance but with an emphasis on endurance in my training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beansontoast94 wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Triathlon was a big part of my life until I was 16 when going to boarding school made training difficult. I actually won a lot of junior regional races but obviously am a bit out of it now. Theres a local sprint I could enter and see how I get on.

Are you looking to qualify as a pro or age grouper? With a competitive swim background and some success as a junior, making it as a pro seems possible if you wanted to dedicate yourself to it.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Mar 3, 15 6:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about being competitive as a pro or AGer? If you want to be a competitive AGer you may be able to be competitive in the 18-24AG in a year or two if you already have basic S/B/R skills. The 18-24AG is usually pretty thin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
10 year of dedication would get mostly any age grouper athlete into a professional level ironman athletes if they are willing to put the time in.....

Am I understanding this correctly? You are suggesting that any triathlete that puts in the time has the ability to turn pro in long course? No God given talent required?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree, not just because he's my coach, with jonnyo. I am 29, started tris at 25 but if I started earlier I would hope I would have started with short course. Although the Ironman is a HUGE draw to triathlon being able to race every few weeks and race FAST is a lot of fun. My first IM was in 2012, then in 2013 I raced a lot more and went to 70.3/Oly (I know 70.3 isn't short course), then back to IM last year and this year focus more on 70.3 and to race more.

But I would give at least a few years to short course and race your butt off then gradually build up to racing 70.3. Ironman will be there in your late 20's. But I think the most important thing for you is to make sure you enjoy it. You can race short course for 6 years but if you do not like it then you will not make it that far. Talk to a coach and see what type of plan they would lay out, try that for a year, reevaluate how you feel then keep going.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is any chance of competing as a pro then that's what I want to do, although im not sure how realistic that is
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoy the training, and enjoyed racing even more. I'm going abroad on a placement next year which makes finding a long term coach complicated but while I'm there I'll join a club until I'm back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like you have your answer then! I would think any good coach that you would like to work with long term would be able to work with you with you being abroad. Or they could give you an outline of what they'd like you to get done each week, month, etc. That way you have a guide then you can plug and play at your judgement.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would finding a coach to work with 1 on 1 benefit me more than a club do you think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beansontoast94 wrote:
Would finding a coach to work with 1 on 1 benefit me more than a club do you think?

You can do a lot without a coach, assuming you like to make your own plans and read up on things. If you're gone for a year, I would just start training and get back into it. Find a club or group where you are, swimming/cycling/running/triathlon doesn't really matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personal choice. Club training with fasties is super motivating. Like Johnny said get fast before you go far. For swimming get back into a squad and get it going. I am guessing you are in the UK?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - I'll swim with a club and aim to get back into it over the next 4 months or so before I go then maybe see how joining a club goes when I'm there. Thanks a lot for all the advice, I really appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes for sure, my coach in on west coast i am on east coast. Email and phone calls get the job done. A coach, power meter, and 1 yr of consistent training (with a coach) has made me a lot faster. At your age and with a background already you will get fast quick.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm in the UK but I'll be in Spain from September to December then Switzerland for 6 months after that. I'm going to rejoin a swimming club like you say and then hopefully arrive in Barcelona fit enough to join a club.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, might be what I need then - sounds like it's really working for you. Haha I hope so, I'll need to be going a lot faster than I am now to come close to a win in anything!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beansontoast94 wrote:

If you really want to go pro and have a 10 year horizon, you should really find a coach that is bought into that. When you were training up until 16 you probably didn't have much idea why you were doing what you were doing. Trying to learn what works and what doesn't might take you a couple years and even then it is a challenge to keep it fresh and keep addressing your limiters/managing injury risk/etc. If you also have a good coach you can also just focus on training and recovery. At the pointy end of the field, one athlete with a good coach can do their workout and recovery and then nap with a peaceful mind knowing what's coming tomorrow. The other athlete without a coach has to refocus their mind and review data, plan sessions, etc and then go to bed trying to switch off from asking: am I training effectively, what sessions are there left this week, what sessions will I put in the calendar for future weeks, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 years to competitive Ironman? [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. When I was training when I was little I just enjoyed it and didn't really consider what I might do in the future. I actually was invited to some potential spotting things and was offered a place on a program. At the time didn't really understand what it was about so didn't go through with it. Hopefully a good coach combined with my willingness to make up for missing out on that can drive me!
Quote Reply

Prev Next