Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike
Quote | Reply
I have a 10 year old Cervelo P3 (even has the team CSC logo on it - remember them?). It's pretty stock with Campy 10sp gruppo and tubular zipp 808's. Is there any reason I should move up to one of these super bikes (such as those in the aero testing earlier this week on this ST forum) or are there upgrades which will make the trusty old P3 more comparable (+/- 5% faster given similar wattage)?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say it mostly depends on how important is it for you to be to be a little faster and your financial situation. There are plenty of upgrade you can do to the P3, I'm not sure about the total watt savings from these things though (aero bars, fork, brake are a few items that can be improved).
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Optimize your position on the P3 first - it's still a very good bike after all these years.

Some upgrades:

- Tri Rog Omega brakes
- fast skin suit
- fast helmet
- rear disc
- fast tires
- wind tunnel time
- fast aero bar
- SRAM ETap
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have a "classic" P3. Have had a decked out P5-6 in the past. Don't feel like I'm giving up much, if anything, to that bike. Just depends on the equipment you attach to your P3 and your fit on the P3.

I bet the classic P3 gives up, over the course of 40k and all else being equal, maybe 40-50 seconds over the P5-6. Is that worth $4000-5000+? You be the judge.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 10 year old Scott Plasma CR1. Front end could definitely be cleaned up. Compared to a Speed Concept 7.5 or similar, any thoughts on how much of a difference I could see? Running 2007 pre-Firecrest dimpled 404 front, 808 rear (often with disc cover).

Too many variables, not enough information, I know.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you - will consider the upgrades. However, I am very curious how the Premier Tactical fairs in the testing. It'll be easy to drop 5500 in upgrades especially if wheels are involved.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I am very curious how the Premier Tactical fairs in the testing. It'll be easy to drop 5500 in upgrades especially if wheels are involved.
This post may be the fast path to the answer you seek: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6283827#p6283827

The bike is an incredible value.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [seaunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seaunter wrote:
I have a 10 year old Scott Plasma CR1. Front end could definitely be cleaned up. Compared to a Speed Concept 7.5 or similar, any thoughts on how much of a difference I could see? Running 2007 pre-Firecrest dimpled 404 front, 808 rear (often with disc cover).

hmm

Quote:
Too many variables, not enough information, I know.

yup
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Thank you - will consider the upgrades. However, I am very curious how the Premier Tactical fairs in the testing. It'll be easy to drop 5500 in upgrades especially if wheels are involved.

But not particularly difficult to keep the total cost of the same upgrades (less electronic shifting, which will have no aero benefit) to ... dunno ... about 600 or 700?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife races on a 2003 Cervelo P2K that she's had from new. Sure, she'd be faster on a newer bike but she still can win or podium in AG in her local short course races (which is all she does now) so why bother.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate your wife's prowess and am confident she'd kick my butt, however on long courses, the increased speed seems to mean a great deal more than on short courses.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Bike means very little, position trumps. Considering winner from 10miler was on a very old frame 2004 Trek frame.


https://www.google.ca/...89583%3Fsource%3Ddam




Pathlete wrote:
I have a 10 year old Cervelo P3 (even has the team CSC logo on it - remember them?). It's pretty stock with Campy 10sp gruppo and tubular zipp 808's. Is there any reason I should move up to one of these super bikes (such as those in the aero testing earlier this week on this ST forum) or are there upgrades which will make the trusty old P3 more comparable (+/- 5% faster given similar wattage)?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you could get them closer than that with really smart specs. Fast bars, rerouting the cables and faster brakes than stock dura-ace would narrow the gap significantly. Just post a picture of your bike. :)


James Haycraft wrote:
I also have a "classic" P3. Have had a decked out P5-6 in the past. Don't feel like I'm giving up much, if anything, to that bike. Just depends on the equipment you attach to your P3 and your fit on the P3.

I bet the classic P3 gives up, over the course of 40k and all else being equal, maybe 40-50 seconds over the P5-6. Is that worth $4000-5000+? You be the judge.



Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
AeroCamp March 8-10 A2 Wind Tunnel
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remeber Chrissie in Kona on a P2. How many could beat her time now on a more expensive bike?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [eatmydirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eatmydirt wrote:
Remeber Chrissie in Kona on a P2. How many could beat her time now on a more expensive bike?

I remember her at (was it) Lake Placid on a Cervelo Soloist road bike where she won. Same with Simon Lessing.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
I appreciate your wife's prowess and am confident she'd kick my butt, however on long courses, the increased speed seems to mean a great deal more than on short courses.

True. but you have to think what the value is to you. If you're just off the podium then it makes sense. I was always MOP so a newer bike wouldn't move me to FOP. I'd still be MOP but with less money in my bank account.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2007 P3C isn't a 'Super' bike? Damn.

If you can dial in fit, no reason to look for a new IMO. As mentioned, you can find upgrades that will make the setup better. I still run the 2007 P3C. Still 10-speed mech but upgraded pretty much all else. All-in to include frame was <$3000.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One difference between an old P3 and the newer ones is the width of the frame at the bottom bracket. The old ones had the slimmer frame with the bearings on the outside of the frame. The newer ones have the bearings incorporated inside the frame, hence the frame is wider but also stiffer. The trend of many bike manufacturers now is to have the wider frame at the BB as exemplified by BB30, BBright, BB386 EVO etc.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monsrider wrote:
One difference between an old P3 and the newer ones is the width of the frame at the bottom bracket. The old ones had the slimmer frame with the bearings on the outside of the frame. The newer ones have the bearings incorporated inside the frame, hence the frame is wider but also stiffer. The trend of many bike manufacturers now is to have the wider frame at the BB as exemplified by BB30, BBright, BB386 EVO etc.


A difference I can't discern doing 1500 watt sprints on a road bike, much less while doing a time trial.
Last edited by: rubik: Apr 22, 17 3:02
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
monsrider wrote:
One difference between an old P3 and the newer ones is the width of the frame at the bottom bracket. The old ones had the slimmer frame with the bearings on the outside of the frame. The newer ones have the bearings incorporated inside the frame, hence the frame is wider but also stiffer. The trend of many bike manufacturers now is to have the wider frame at the BB as exemplified by BB30, BBright, BB386 EVO etc.


A difference I can't discern doing 1500 watt sprints on a road bike, much less while doing a time trial.

And one of the reasons I bought an "old" P3C was it had a normal bottom bracket which doesn't creak, need spacers or adaptors and is perfectly stiff enough for 99% of all bike riders.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
I bet you could get them closer than that with really smart specs. Fast bars, rerouting the cables and faster brakes than stock dura-ace would narrow the gap significantly. Just post a picture of your bike. :)

How does this square up? Hed Jet 9 front, Renn 555 disc on back. Shod with Corsas naturally. The bars cost me 100 bucks on ebay. Top tube drilled and cables fully hidden from the wind. I bet I'm giving up very little to the latest crop.



Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old p3 is a great bike. If you need long and low geometry, proper bottom bracket, brakes that work and are easy to wrench.
Stick a top level aerobar tririg brakes and the difference will be within the error bars.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super clean. That's the way it should be done.


knighty76 wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
I bet you could get them closer than that with really smart specs. Fast bars, rerouting the cables and faster brakes than stock dura-ace would narrow the gap significantly. Just post a picture of your bike. :)


How does this square up? Hed Jet 9 front, Renn 555 disc on back. Shod with Corsas naturally. The bars cost me 100 bucks on ebay. Top tube drilled and cables fully hidden from the wind. I bet I'm giving up very little to the latest crop.





Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
AeroCamp March 8-10 A2 Wind Tunnel
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would consider a new bike since its 10 years old, but I would probably just go with a new p3 if you like the looks. Then get a new set of flo wheels and be done.

Remember that golf and bikes are similar. They all advertise huge increases but there is VERY LITTLE difference in the end. It seems like you can afford it, since you are asking, but just a new bike might get your juices flowing.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 year old P3 or 'Super' Aero bike [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
I bet you could get them closer than that with really smart specs. Fast bars, rerouting the cables and faster brakes than stock dura-ace would narrow the gap significantly. Just post a picture of your bike. :)

How does this square up? Hed Jet 9 front, Renn 555 disc on back. Shod with Corsas naturally. The bars cost me 100 bucks on ebay. Top tube drilled and cables fully hidden from the wind. I bet I'm giving up very little to the latest crop.



Wish my 2008 P3C looked so clean.
Quote Reply

Prev Next