Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

10 days to 70.3
Quote | Reply
I have 10 days until CdA 70.3 and wondering how hard/easy to make the last workouts. Last week was a big volume week and this week has been a lighter (+/-50% of last week). I feel I need to ride and run some hills this weekend in order to prep for the course. Good idea or bad idea?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 10 days to 70.3 [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many hours have you been averaging for the past 10 weeks? How much intensity?
Quote Reply
Re: 10 days to 70.3 [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12-16 hours of training and maybe 75% high intensity (zones 3/4/5). Nonpoeer meter so can only go on perceived exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently did eagleman. I think our training volumes are similar but my 13-16 hrs are only biking and running.

I was doing 13 hr weeks for all of May. I did a big 16 hr week 3 weeks out. 2 weeks out I dropped to about 13 hrs (no real change in intensity just lower mileage rides and also I was babying an achilles soreness so my run volume/intensity dropped). Week of: Saturday I had a 10 mile running race (not all out but pretty close), Sunday was a 50 mile ride but no run, Monday 4 mile run (easy), Tuesday 4 mile run (easy), Wednesday 30 ride/4 Run (easy), Thursday 4 mile run (easy), Friday 4 mile run (easy), Saturday 20-30 minute spin on a stationary.

Off of this I had my best race so far. Definitely felt good through the entire race and had my best run yet.

Edit to add: This is not my A race so I did want to *somewhat* train through this race. If it was my A race I would have probably given myself an extra day off probably either Thursday or Friday.
Last edited by: FuzzyRunner: Jun 15, 17 12:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At ~14 hour weekly average you likely have enough fitness that you don't have to back off too much. I think you only need to start thinking about a taper after the weekend (so beginning Monday). Then drop volume but maintain some intensity. Doing a week's worth of hill work, the week before the race, won't help you at all now. Don't introduce anything you haven't already been doing. The hay is in the barn.
Quote Reply
Re: 10 days to 70.3 [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you put in the volume even in the last week. I'm 51 and may not have that in me although I have a 4:50 goal (I'm a slow runner).
Feel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely kept up the training through the race but consciously kept the effort very low (besides the race obviously).

I am 30 so yea I might be able to recover better from day to day.
Quote Reply