Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pretty self explanatory. Looking at a new group set. Currently running a Ultegra 6700 triple and want a compact double (on my AR roadie) ... $200 more for Ultegra. I feel like the only reason I want Ultegra is because that's what I currently have. I hate the idea of downgrading, but am I even going to notice a difference between 5800 and 6800?

Sound off, thanks in advance.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Mar 13, 15 18:53
Quote Reply
Re: 105 6800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R u referring to Ultegra 6800 versus 105 5800? On any given day will you notice anything - probably not. I actually prefer 5800/5700 as I think it is more beefy which likely means it will last longer and be more reliable.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, typo in my original post! sorry or the confusion.

Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't feel a difference between 5800 and 6800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blindfolded, you wouldn't notice the difference.

But every time you walk past the bike, and every time you put your hands on the shifters, you'll remember that you put 105 on it, and secretly wish in your subconscious you'd have gotten Ultegra. So if that's worth $200 to you, I'd opt for the Ultegra.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Blindfolded, you wouldn't notice the difference.

But every time you walk past the bike, and every time you put your hands on the shifters, you'll remember that you put 105 on it, and secretly wish in your subconscious you'd have gotten Ultegra. So if that's worth $200 to you, I'd opt for the Ultegra.

Good advice!
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [SpeedNeeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to disagree but I do have 5800 on two bikes so I could be biased. I actually think the black color of 5800 looks better than the greyish hue of 6800 on certain frame color schemes. The parts all look identical to me. Unlike in the past, even the cranks now look like carbon copies of each other. Having ridden both I couldn't justify it myself. The extra bling and slight weight savings mean nothing to me if I can't feel a difference in shift quality. But I do agree that the $200 price difference is not big enough to lose sleep over if you just want Ultegra.
Last edited by: Dunbar: Mar 13, 15 23:08
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [Dunbar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get 5800 its going for crazy cheap prices online!

The difference really comes to weight, shifting will be very similar if not same.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am also curious.

assuming full groupo purchase:
is there be any difference in braking performance?
in comfort and positioning with the hoods/shifters?
in chainring or cassette choices?

Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [duvivr6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes down to personality, would you look at the 105 and think great I saved 200 and the money is in the bank or would you look at the 105 and think, I wished I had not downgraded and be disappointed.
From a performance point you will not go slower with 105 or faster with ultegra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you just want to get rid of the triple? If that's it, just change the crank and adjust the FD. If you want, you can change the RD from a long cage to a short cage and shorted the chain, but that's just for asthetics. Get the Ultegra crank, it's a better crank.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are slight differences in cassettes offered (like 5800 has no 11-25 which I think is a very good cassette).. I am like 40% sure you use an ultegra cassette in a 105 setup, but not 100% sure because I think 6800 has a reversible chain, whereas a 5800 has a directional chain. Curious if someone more bike smart knows about the compatibility of cassettes and chains.. could make a tiny tiny difference in choice.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
There are slight differences in cassettes offered (like 5800 has no 11-25 which I think is a very good cassette).. I am like 40% sure you use an ultegra cassette in a 105 setup, but not 100% sure because I think 6800 has a reversible chain, whereas a 5800 has a directional chain. Curious if someone more bike smart knows about the compatibility of cassettes and chains.. could make a tiny tiny difference in choice.

Cassettes are interchangeable. My wife has ultegra 6800 derailleur with 5800 cassette. No problems at all.

As for the OP I'd personally spring for the 5800. If money was no object then the 6800. But even then not sure I would. That's $200 you could spend on entry fees or a nice dinner with your wife or whatever.

But at he end of the day both are going to be next to bombproof and work just fine. You're overthinking it. Just pull the trigger on one. There isn't a wrong decision.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the advice. I got the answer I was looking for. I do have a newborn baby and that 200 bucks can definitely be spent elsewhere.

Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a difference between all of the groups and it's not just weight and price. If 105 is just a heavier version of Ultegra, and Ultegra is just a heavier version of Dura Ace, then by logic 105 should have the same performance of Dura Ace? Of course not. The question is - are the differences worth the additional price to you? If your riding / racing needs are such that the answer is no or you don't even notice any differences than yeah get the cheaper one.

In my experience the Ultegra FD can shift under load a little bit quicker and more reliably than the 105 FD. I use my FD a ton - I typically use my little ring all the way up until the 4th or 3rd smallest cog and then quickly shift both the FD and RD under load to get going (usually around 19-20 mph at this point).

My CX bike came with an Ultegra group but the mfg. cheaped out and put a 105 FD on it. These are 10-speed 5700 / 6700 level components just FYI. I was running 6700 groups on my other bikes and I could definitely tell a difference in FD performance between the two groups. YMMV but for me I definitely prefer the Ultegra FD.

When I converted my bikes over to 11 speed I just went with Ultegra 6800 on all of them. But I use 5800 cassettes on my training wheels and direct mount trainer freewheel (Lemond Revolution). The look and finish of the 6800 cassette is definitely nicer than the 105 but I haven't noticed any effect on shifting performance. Again this is my personal experience based on how I ride. YMMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronechang wrote:
There is a difference between all of the groups and it's not just weight and price. If 105 is just a heavier version of Ultegra, and Ultegra is just a heavier version of Dura Ace, then by logic 105 should have the same performance of Dura Ace? Of course not. The question is - are the differences worth the additional price to you? If your riding / racing needs are such that the answer is no or you don't even notice any differences than yeah get the cheaper one.

I've not ridden 9000 but I would guess there's little to no difference in shift quality between it and 68000 (and thus 5800.) I also couldn't feel a difference between 5700 and 6700 back-to-back when I owned 5700 and rode a loaner bike with 6700 for 3 weeks. Braking was slightly better on 6700 but I wasn't sure if it was the calipers, pads or cables. What you're getting is weight savings and better build quality. I had a 1.5 year old 5700 shifter start to die on me but fortunately Shimano warranty covered it. I doubt you would have that problem with Dura Ace.

OP, if a compact crank works for you here's a screaming deal on 5800 group for $332.

http://www.merlincycles.com/...-cassette-80109.html
Last edited by: Dunbar: Mar 14, 15 12:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DA 9000 front shifting performance is pretty universally regarded as the best in the business. 6800 is up there but 9000 is head and shoulders above everything else. ST had an article about a year ago that touched on this http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ng_for_Tri_4108.html.

Overally I've found that 6800 shifters and mechs are the sweet spot (price / performance) for me. I will admit that 9000 performs better (if marginally) and if it cost 20% more then I would seriously consider it but at almost twice the price I can't justify the purchase (or more accurately - the replacement cost due to crashing in races).
Last edited by: aaronechang: Mar 14, 15 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: 105 5800 vs. Ultegra 6800 [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronechang wrote:
then by logic 105 should have the same performance of Dura Ace?

That is pretty close to the reality of it though really, yeah.

If 105 has a bushing pulley in the rear derailleur then you lose half a watt.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunbar wrote:
aaronechang wrote:

I've not ridden 9000 but I would guess there's little to no difference in shift quality between it and 68000 (and thus 5800.) I also couldn't feel a difference between 5700 and 6700 back-to-back when I owned 5700 and rode a loaner bike with 6700 for 3 weeks. Braking was slightly better on 6700 but I wasn't sure if it was the calipers, pads or cables. What you're getting is weight savings and better build quality. I had a 1.5 year old 5700 shifter start to die on me but fortunately Shimano warranty covered it. I doubt you would have that problem with Dura Ace.

OP, if a compact crank works for you here's a screaming deal on 5800 group for $332.

http://www.merlincycles.com/...-cassette-80109.html

WOW! thanks for the link. I went with the 6800 group because the 5800 didn't have 170mm crank length.

For $583, I got a full Ultegra 6800 groupset and a free set of Conti GP 4000sii clinchers. That's one hell of a deal considering I got to select the crank gearing and length, not to mention cassette I wanted. I look forward to upgrading the bike. Now I have a spare group for a winter beater build I have been wanting to do for a while now.

Quote Reply