Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for the challenge. When I synced Strava it only pulled the last 10 workouts. Am I going to have to manually load the earlier ones?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea, but there are 10 days in January so far. Maybe it just pulled this month's workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
I just signed up for the challenge. When I synced Strava it only pulled the last 10 workouts. Am I going to have to manually load the earlier ones?

Hey Kiwi! Welcome to the challenge. No, definitely don't do it manually!

So for the Strava sync logic, I just picked 14 days as a baseline. It's totally configurable, and I picked that number to get a feel for how badly we were going to be hammering the Strava API (it has rate limits). Since we've stayed well under the limits, I'll add an option to sync for a longer period of time (I'm thinking 30 days). Watch for it on the Strava sync page today.

-Eric

ps -- this is in place. I threw it in as 60 days but it can be changed. Let me know if you experience any difficulties.
Last edited by: EricTheBiking: Jan 10, 18 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loving this challenge! Currently on 27/28 and hoping to claw one back over the weekend! Feeling great and still able to chuck in some other workouts around it. Thanks for organising and the Strava sync works great :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far so good. A short flu threw me off a few days just after Christmas, but 26 runs in so far.
When I look in the leaderboard and click on somebody else I get to see their recent workouts. When I click those workouts I get an 'edit exercise' window and it seems I can edit a whole bunch of things. Activity, distance, start time etc. Is that really possible? Or would it throw an error message when I change something (a workout of somebody and else) and then close the 'edit exercise' window?
Last edited by: TriStart: Jan 16, 18 1:55
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
So far so good. A short flew threw me off a few days just after Christmas, but 26 runs in so far.
When I look in the leaderboard and click on somebody else I get to see their recent workouts. When I click those workouts I get an 'edit exercise' window and it seems I can edit a whole bunch of things. Activity, distance, start time etc. Is that really possible? Or would it throw an error message when I change something (a workout of somebody and else) and then close the 'edit exercise' window?

Hey TriStart, way to jump right on in!

So the box is the same as you would have for your own workout, but no, you can't save over somebody else's stuff.

It does need a bit of polish so that it shows everything correctly (read-only for somebody else's workout). I threw it in very hastily last year and it still needs work.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aha, I didn't want to 'test' it as I didn't want to mess with somebody else's work.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 31, 30 runs in. So far so good. Weather has been decent and so far we haven't had any very cold days (e.g. below -15°C). However, the coldest weeks usually occur in February or March here in Finland so I need to prepare mentally for the coming weeks. I have no access to a treadmill nor do I plan on acquiring one.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
Aha, I didn't want to 'test' it as I didn't want to mess with somebody else's work.

I forget the message but it's definitely protected on the back end and says something like "security violation". I think on the front end it just errors. :) But thank you for reminding me about it, I need a truly read-only form there.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [FlyingFinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingFinn wrote:
Day 31, 30 runs in. So far so good. Weather has been decent and so far we haven't had any very cold days (e.g. below -15°C). However, the coldest weeks usually occur in February or March here in Finland so I need to prepare mentally for the coming weeks. I have no access to a treadmill nor do I plan on acquiring one.

Congrats! 2 more days to 1/3 of the way. By now you guys should be starting to feel like you are getting in a groove in terms of routines. I hope no aches, pains or injuries. If you feel something coming on, better to wind it back now than to push through recover a bit and pick it up again in a bit. Still 69 days to go!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice for me.Day 31, 23 runs. The body feels fine, running is strong but
I am tired from work and training so I will hold back this week . Thanks for good
advice and a fun challenge.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
So far so good. A short flew threw me off a few days just after Christmas, but 26 runs in so far.

I had this same question. Went to see someone's workout and backed out super fast before I accidently did damage. Happy to hear I can't run amok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite regular swimming and cycling I am back to par in the 100 x 100 and now have 32 runs.

But i still would be happy with only 70 at the end
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost ended my daily streak yesterday. It was icy as hell out and I debated myself about running on the treadmill. Valour won out over discretion. Within three houses I had my first slip, didn't hit the ground, but seriously thought about turning back. One mile in, I slid far enough I think Dev would have disqualified my run as both feet were not simultaneously off the ground long enough. Through sheer stupid determination and tiny little baby steps I completed 4 miles. Kept it rubber side down, not a lot of fun however.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My run challenge is complete. instead of just mileage, mileage with effort!. wish someone from this challenge would have joined me:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nthetic%5D_P6538051/
Last edited by: synthetic: Jan 16, 18 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I choose the treadmill in those conditions. Not just for the falling, but I find that adjusting my gait too much causes weird little pains that take a long time to go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This challenge is inappropriate for a tri-based forum. We are not runners! We are SBR! Or, in my case, no swim, so RBR/duathlon. Still! 100 runs in 100 days - when am I supposed to bike? Huh? I have a huge stage race in early February. Maybe you've heard of it - the Tour of Sufferlandria? Duh! I won that race in 2016 and 2017 (in my own mind), so I have to make it an A race in 2018 to honor my past success. So this run stuff just *gets in the way*. Running, btw, also gets in the way of my *drinking*, another A race, so to speak. All of you running freaks ought to contaminate some running-only community where your deviant behavior might be tolerated, or, for heaven's sake - appreciated! Yes, yes, I got another run in today, but my efforts are *puny* and *declining* as I prepare for the ToS. There *must* be some compensation for those who continue to cycle during this period. And, yeah, sure, maybe compensation for those weirdos that also swim. I am creating my own spreadsheet in which every bike ride is worth *10* runs. I'm gonna win*! (*in my own mind). Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday had to take a "zero" in terms of this challenge but it was no zero overall. For the first time in my life took an oxygen uptake and threshold test at a testing clinic treadmill. Did 9 x 3 min loads with increasing speed. The last one was murder but now I have at least my thresholds set up. This morning did a usual 34 min recovery run. My legs are definitely feeling tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been some tough sledding due to weather and feeling the fatigue build as I didn't take any time off after a 6-hour race on the 6th (with a 3-hour trail race tomorrow..), but getting it done. Maintaining Fridays off but a few doubles here and there have a couple of runs banked in case I need a little extra recovery.

Looks so pretty but this was just after a thaw, then a snowy freeze up - plenty of lumpy ice under the snow, and tough on the ankles.

It also caused some flooding, which then froze up with some slab ice from the river mixed in. Wish I'd brought my traction devices for this one but managed to pick my way through anyway.

Bitter cold temperatures have frozen most of the waterfalls around, but Devil's Creek is fed from an underground spring that seems to have stayed liquid.

Some light left in the sky when finishing a run at 5:45pm gives me faith that spring may come eventually.

Happy trails all!

Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the nice pics. I really appreciate it. My shuffling around has been limited to some treadmill jogs and actually hammering pretty hard with snowshoes on the golf course. I am tracking just above 50% right now, which is actually really good. I am waiting for a surgery consult for a disc in my spine. The impingement on the nerve root, is causing leg spasms or so we thought, until my neurologist also found a cyst in my foot between the 3 and 4th metatarsel (where the spasms seem to start), that appears to be impinging the nerve ending causing problems while walking, jogging, biking, skiing....so we're going to try to get that thing yanked out of my foot to see if that allows for some normalization of things and then restoring more symmetry, which hopefully allows my disc area to sort itself out naturally....or eventually go in and cut that open too. In the mean time, depending on the day, I can actually run either pretty good when the nerve is not acting up, or "not at all" when things are more impinged.

I think that actually getting this news really encouraged me and suddenly I was running a bit faster on my woodway treadmill. Let's see. It almost gave me hope that once the cyst is yanked, I can do normal running again outside on trails like you are on!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
finally back to N-in-N (41-in-41) having dropped a day on December 22nd due to xmas preparations and weather. managed a double run this morning, split by a 4 mile walk with a friend.

as predicted, the running is generally boring because i know all the routes, but this gets broken up by occasional runs with another friend (diagnosed with Parkinsons, so slow, easy runs but good conversation), a few runs in Chicago while taking care of my daughter, and a Central Park loop a couple of weekends back on a visit to NYC.

generally feeling good. a bit sad that i can run "so fast" on the treadmill (6:30 min/mile doesn't feel like too much of a stretch), but outdoors when running without "competition", going below 8:00 min/mile is a struggle. note: i always run on a treadmill with the gradient set to 2.0). Central Park was fun because the other runners gave a bit of impetus to work harder. Generally went 7:45 or so on the way around the Park.

my wife is still notably ahead of me for 100/100, having (a) logged more hours (b) logged more miles (c) put a couple of runs in the bank to address early season race days still to come. that's ok - she's racing this year and i'm just trying to lose a bit of weight and be able to run if we find ourselves in a nice place.

switched shoes from merrell trail glove 3 to merrell trail glove 4 last week. love the upgrade. they fixed all my niggling issues with the 3, and didn't make anything worse. win!

41 down, 59 to go...
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a lot of posting for this challenge this year. I took a few days off last Fri and Sun around a trail half marathon in NJ on Sat. In past years I would have hopped right back into the challenge on Sun and at least run my 30 mins but I was pretty beat up Sun morning. This challenge helped me really ramp up my mileage in prep for the half but the very cold weather here in the northeast and tendency towards treadmill runs because of it left me not prepared for the hills and I suffered. I'm going to make an effort the rest of the challenge to get outside as much as possible. I picked up a new pair of Hoka's for the second half and I'm ready to go. Just finished an easy run in frigid temps from my hotel in Rhode Island.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've managed 43/43, just one niggling little calf strain but it was gone the next day. I'm not putting in a ton of miles, averaging 34 miles/week. If I have the need to rest I've skipped a ride or swim instead.

The biggest payoff, I've noticed so far is I'm within 1-2 pounds of my ideal race weight, without really trying to be.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third flu during this challenge. Took 3 days off (Wed-Fri) and assuming I get back to running today, I will be 5 runs behind 100/100. Extrapolating, maybe 90/100 could be more realistic with the current pace. I was thinking of running to and back from work which would give few double run days but let's see. I am happy to be running even this consistently.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
finally back to N-in-N (41-in-41) having dropped a day on December 22nd due to xmas preparations and weather. managed a double run this morning, split by a 4 mile walk with a friend.

as predicted, the running is generally boring because i know all the routes, but this gets broken up by occasional runs with another friend (diagnosed with Parkinsons, so slow, easy runs but good conversation), a few runs in Chicago while taking care of my daughter, and a Central Park loop a couple of weekends back on a visit to NYC.

generally feeling good. a bit sad that i can run "so fast" on the treadmill (6:30 min/mile doesn't feel like too much of a stretch), but outdoors when running without "competition", going below 8:00 min/mile is a struggle. note: i always run on a treadmill with the gradient set to 2.0). Central Park was fun because the other runners gave a bit of impetus to work harder. Generally went 7:45 or so on the way around the Park.

my wife is still notably ahead of me for 100/100, having (a) logged more hours (b) logged more miles (c) put a couple of runs in the bank to address early season race days still to come. that's ok - she's racing this year and i'm just trying to lose a bit of weight and be able to run if we find ourselves in a nice place.

switched shoes from merrell trail glove 3 to merrell trail glove 4 last week. love the upgrade. they fixed all my niggling issues with the 3, and didn't make anything worse. win!

41 down, 59 to go...

Thanks for the update. I am a bit baffled why 6:30 mile pace at 2 percent on the treadmill does not translate into at least 7 min pace outdoors even if the treadmill is calibrated? Maybe you are evolving into a "treadmill gait" runner who just uses hip flexors to throw the feet forward, but does not use posterior chain for a firm push off and extend behind you. I classify that as "front half" vs "rear half" runner. I have noted when I do extended periods of treadmill running, my calves for example get more sore after the first runs on firm pavement or track. Takes a few runs before i get back to things. Note that the treadmill is ALWAYS going at constant velocity. Running outdoors, you are NOT running at constant velocity....there is a small acceleration and deceleration inside each stride and the faster you go and effectively connect "bounds" the more the difference. That's really the diff between treadmill and outdoor running, even through lots of people claim it is the same as it is just frames of reference (in one you are moving over stationary ground in the other the ground is moving under stationary you). There are subtle differences in how those frames of reference move from one to the other, accounting for the delta.....bu 1:30 discrepency even with a highly uncalibrated treadmill appears to be too much to make sense to me.

I am shuffling around at around 50% hit rate. Next Friday, I got a surgeon who is going to try to drain the ganglion cyst in my left foot and then let's see how that affects the leg spasms I get. I am hoping if we can fix the foot part, the spine part will sort itself out in time. In the mean time, I am pretty well 100/100 pace on swimming for 60-120 minutes per day....so no shortage of overtraining.
Quote Reply

Prev Next