Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm out. Somehow, completely non-running related I pulled my right groin yesterday. In 47 years of being on this earth I've never felt as much pain. When it popped I dropped like a sack of potatoes. Now on to a steady diet of swimming. Not sure I can ride, haven't tried yet.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unfortunately dropped 3 runs in the last week. I stupidly allowed a double run 2 wednesdays ago to give me Thursday off, and that broke the spell that has kept me going (even when it means running at 22:30 at night). Hope to get back on track on the next couple of days.

Had my first run today in nearly 2 months that actually felt like a run. Managed to maintain 7:55 min/mile on a 10km course that mixes trails, grass, roads and a mixture of rolling hills with a couple of short steeper climbs. 3 minutes faster than the normal time for this during 100/100. Haven't had that feeling since being in Central Park NYC in January. The sunshine and mild temperatures today helped a lot.

Definitely enjoying the overall benefits of 100/100, but wondering what happens when its over. Trying to get in runs on top of work, cooking, house repairs (we're selling this spring/summer) is hard, and once the 100/100 motivation is over, I'm not sure I can keep doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very tough month.

By end Jan I was cruising, had done more runs than days and felt that it was in the bag.

Then got smashed by illness, which was 1 week of nothing at all, followed by 2 weeks of struggle to get the minimum run done on most days, with a few failures doing even that. This left the mojo down, sort of 'I'm beaten - why even bother' plus a few niggles.

Seem to be bouncing back though, getting the run a day in and yesterday was the first double run day, already followed up with a run today. UK is getting bad weather so it's the tedium of the treadmill, but feeling back on it.

Current score is -10 (10 more days then runs), debating whether to try and steer it home and settle for 90/100 or find the extra 10 double days and see if the full house is still possible....
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out for my first run in 2.5 weeks last night, but had to shut it down after half a kilometer. The ankle just isn't ready - apparently a Grade 2 sprain involving just about every ligament and tendon in there isn't something a fortnight can cure.

Will see if I can get a 30min run in again before the end of the challenge, but it's going to be at least a week before I try again and even that will probably only be to see if I can go for 5mins.

At least I'm training myself with some fast walking, which will help if I actually end up attempting a 100 miler in the fall..

Quote | Reply

Bummer

mck414 wrote:
I think I'm out. Somehow, completely non-running related I pulled my right groin yesterday. In 47 years of being on this earth I've never felt as much pain. When it popped I dropped like a sack of potatoes. Now on to a steady diet of swimming. Not sure I can ride, haven't tried yet.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

Worth trying running. This is what hockey goalies use for rehab for groins. Maybe even elliptical. I bet you will be back in a few days!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is Herbert doing. 21 days to go. On track for the full 100? Is this the first year, you will do all? I will try some jogging again today. Had a cortisone injection in my disc last week and now ready to give jogging on the Woodway another try.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, sorry to hear about the sprain. What about uphill walking on the treadmill. Might get the ankle range of motion closer to running without the pounding....and elliptical. Spin bike standing intervals were good after my zillion ankle sprains during my lifespan.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am currently 1 ahead and will run again today. I have taken a few days off including 2 this week, but I often run doubles. So I am on pace to go 100, but if my body does not feel up for it I will stop. My first race is SwimRun Lake James in early April and I have to be fully healthy and fast. My female partner is faster running and swimming :-)

devashish_paul wrote:
How is Herbert doing. 21 days to go. On track for the full 100? Is this the first year, you will do all? I will try some jogging again today. Had a cortisone injection in my disc last week and now ready to give jogging on the Woodway another try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Worth trying running. This is what hockey goalies use for rehab for groins. Maybe even elliptical. I bet you will be back in a few days!

I've tried. Can't even run down the hallway. Maybe another week off and we'll see what happens. Getting old sucks.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Thanks Dev, but I don't have access to a treadmill or elliptical - I've just been doing hard walks on my lunch that include a couple of decent size hills, swimming a fair bit (finally able to kick on my back last Tues), riding the trainer and doing quite a bit of rock climbing along with daily rehab exercises. Getting stronger; can balance on it for 2mins while moving the other leg to increase difficulty, but 1-leg squats show that my ROM isn't great and there's a lot of tightness in my flexor hallucis longus. Managed two whole 1-foot hops on the bad ankle on Saturday night but it was sore Sunday, so call that 2 hops forward and 1 hop back?

Hope the cortisone gets you back out there!

Quote | Reply
A fine 9 run in 7 day week and back in the game at -8.

17 days to go, 25 runs required - challenging, probably stupid but possible....
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummed to hear about all the injured folks. :-(

I am still one up and like on Wednesday will go two up. My goal was to get at least 70, and I am now well North of that.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The worst kind of injury, non-running related!. My groin pull may actually be a hernia. Got an ultrasound yesterday and my fingers arecrossed it's not positive for a hernia.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
The worst kind of injury, non-running related!. My groin pull may actually be a hernia. Got an ultrasound yesterday and my fingers arecrossed it's not positive for a hernia.

I guess, but if it is a hernia it's easily fixed with a simple day surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So today hit the 33 of 100 goal, next one was to do 50 out of 100, but that is long gone now. So somewhere in-between, a forced 2 1/2 weeks off was the killer. Feeling a tiny bit sick maybe/maybe not, so just jogging 9;50 pace runs for 5k. Good news is when I started this back when, that pace was hard and I would get sore!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So today hit the 33 of 100 goal, next one was to do 50 out of 100, but that is long gone now. So somewhere in-between, a forced 2 1/2 weeks off was the killer. Feeling a tiny bit sick maybe/maybe not, so just jogging 9;50 pace runs for 5k. Good news is when I started this back when, that pace was hard and I would get sore!!

Ooof, I hear ya. I'm one behind you after 4 1/2 weeks off running in December, and now finally the re-establishment of regular mileage. I think we have the mid 30's locked up! Glad that you are feeling better :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just two more weeks to go - and I am looking forward to being done! Yesterday was my first missed day - too sick and too sore to even think about running - but after a long sleep and a lot of kinesio tape, I am back on track and still have a few doubles in the bank. Congratulations to everyone who has made it this far!

John
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [john.koch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will double up today as well . Ran a 10k at 7:18 pace this morning and tonight it will be chill chill for 30 minutes. This weekend likely longer stuff in trails
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ran 2km today. Not perfect, but not too bad - it's progress. Much less feeling of weakness and instability in the ankle, but it fatigues very quickly. Don't really care that it won't count for the challenge - just happy I could run today, even if I can't tomorrow.

Will see how it feels over the next day or two and decide if I'll try again on Monday, or if it needs some more time.

Quote | Reply
Couple of days missed in the last week, one due to illness, the other resting up for half marathon today.
PB in the half marathon, 6 seconds under 1:30, still with the cold not properly cleared, so the 100 runs must be doing something!
Really enjoying the challenge, just need to double up a couple of times to get back on track!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [paulmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
19 more runs required in 12 days.

I think it's on, but expect a good slug of these runs to be exactly 30 mins on the treadmill....

Been a good challenge, enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree that it's been a good challenge. I'm on pace for the most runs I've had in the 4-5 times I've done this and although a struggled through two of the weeks with hamstring issues I think I'll make it through with limited injuries. I've mostly stopped with the double runs and switched over to a NYRR.org marathon training plan for my first marathon in May.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
18 runs needed in 11 days.

Need to run 7 doubles and 4 singles, or 8 doubles, couple of singles to have a rest day.

Get the feeling I'm going to end up needing 5/6 runs in the last 2 days....
Quote Reply
Re: 100 Runs 100 Days 2017-2018 Challenge Thread: Dec 15-Mar 23 [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
monty wrote:

Ooof, I hear ya. I'm one behind you after 4 1/2 weeks off running in December, and now finally the re-establishment of regular mileage. I think we have the mid 30's locked up! Glad that you are feeling better :)

-Eric

Hey, so I had a few weeks off my jogging and snowshoe running after a cortisone shot and we got a bit more snow, so I can head out again. I just checked the log and I am at 40 runs with 11 days of running left. I would have to go out 1x per day to hit the rock bottom 50% threshold. Did we decide if this is a wood medal, lead medal or depleted uranium????
Quote Reply

Prev Next