Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically on schedule this far into it, but because I really need biking more than running, I also signed up for the 31 hours in 31 days challenge. Looking at my log, about 18 hours is the most I've done before of cycling in a month. And will be interesting to see if I can do 47 hours of total training in January - that would be close to 10 hours more than I've ever managed before. I might have done 38 hours about a decade ago when I was only running.

One good thing is that riding on the windtrainer for the first time the past couple weeks, I'm finding I can more easily avoid going too hard. Just set a book on the end of my aerobars and I'm good with a nice 70-75% HR. Of course, I live In Florida, so I don't really NEED the wind-trainer, but it is handy when I have childcare duty or it is dark out - riding in the dark here would pretty literally be suicide.

Once you arrive at the race, deposit your excuses in the same location as last night's pasta.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ran 8 this afternoon and it was real cold and windy and snowing. I wiped out real hard on some snow covered ice...thought I broke my ipod, but its still ticking.
You're crushing this challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just hope it translates to better overall times and not me ending in divorce.

Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 3 hours yesterday and completely ran out of steam after a very busy day today so this is my first rest day.

Anyone else having problems getting into the training log? It keeps asking me to sign in again, then kicks me back to the forums. Very frustrating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this discussion interesting .. since I'm new to all this, I don't know what to think. But it seems like people here are more concerned with other people's behaviour (how they log their milage, how much mileage they do, whether it should count, etc.) than they are with their own. I maybe misunderstood the purpose of this challenge, to receive motivation through personal comparison with a target (100/100) and to be motivated by seeing others achieving that.

My perspective is: if I see someone running what looks to me like an irrelevant/incompatible programme (way more than me, way shorter than me, way faster than me, whatever) then I ignore them. When I see someone running something similar and relevant to me, and whose performance motivates me, I pay attention - and use their activity to help motivate me.

So I'm sad to see JoeO drop out of the challenge - as someone who is focussing primarily on running myself, it was a pleasure to see someone whose performance I was aspiring to emulate and sad to see them vanish from the rankings. Sure I can go find his results elsewhere, but it's a shame that he has to drop out because some find his presence in the rankings uncomfortable. I for one, would like to see him back.

My own situation, is that I just started running a couple of years ago. Over that time I've been running my commute (because it's the best time I have available with a young family) ... I started out running one day a week, and now I'm up to 4 days a week fairly consistently. I've been focussing on frequency rather than mileage as in the past I had knee trouble and didnt want to push the miles too early. I've recently started adding a little lunchtime swimming, a couple of times a week. And slowly, now I'm starting to increase the miles ... by a combination of slightly lengthening my route, adding a once a week morning long run, and adding a once a week intervals run. I don't want to be pressured into switching from my "comfortable"/"safe" injury free 5.5/6k 30 min-ish twice daily run into a higher risk single 60 min run of twice that distance. Nor do I want to go back to commuting by car so that I can find the extra time to do that.

Now perhaps I'm also an example of what others in this challenge don't want to see: a high frequency 30 min primarily runner, running relatively slowly compared to the many seasoned tri-athletes here. At 47 years old, I know I'm never going to be a great tri-athlete. Maybe I'll do my first mini/promo-triathlon later this year and it will be my last ... who knows. But I found this challenge motivating and being in the presence of so many obviously strong runners (who are probably even stronger swimmers and cyclists) also quite inspiring. I'm no idiot, I know my limits and I won't risk my health and fitness just to chase a spreadsheet. So I'm willing to be accountable top myself for my own behaviour in a challenge like this.

If others find my participation demotivating or unhelpful in this challenge, I'll gladly leave it - but I won't do that for just one other person (to that person I'd say "please just ignore me in the challenge") but if many of you (who were here before me, and who are true triathletes) would prefer not to see me here, then I'll leave. If not, I vote (ask) that we invite JoeO to come back, so that at least one other person (me) can benefit from the purpose of inviting him to participate in the first place.

(mad)Steve(fuzu)

PS It's not as cold here in Geneva as some of you are suffering ... just an inch of snow this morning, and -6 celcius yesterday. I rarely have to run in snow .. but since I run commute, I run in whatever the weather: driving rain, snow, ice, sun, wind ... otherwise I don't get to the office. And those conditions sometimes affect my speed. I don't care ... I'm doing it for me, and I'm glad that I have the health and luck to be able to do it. I don't begrudge anyone one else their good health, weather, speed or fortune either.
Last edited by: madfuzu: Jan 4, 10 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks for the heads up.....was not reading all the posts....Joe, why drop out. Stay in it. You're providing motivation to lots of folks!
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

And I enjoy/learn from your comments.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was not for Joe and Mike I probably would not be where I am now in the challenge. New shoes came just in time plan on doing a 30 minute run today in them and tommorow to "break in". Tuesday to next tuesday is going to be a "rest week" for me maybe only 5 or 6 runs. Nothing to far over 30 minutes. Just hope I can hold back intensitey of runs. I bought two pr. is it better to rotate them or run till one pr is done then start the other pr.? That is the way I have been doing it. I heard to rotate them but way I see it mileage is mileage.

Quote | Reply
I bought two pr. is it better to rotate them or run till one pr is done then start the other pr.?

I have experimented with this and find that rotating gets longer life from both. Why? Supposedly rotating allows the shoe to dry out between runs which makes them last longer. I don't know if this is true, but my experience is that I get 310-320 miles doing one pair at a time and 330-350 rotating them. I use New Balance 99x with an orthotic and feel it in that muscle outside my shins the DAY they go bad.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Tri N OC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
I felt them go bad about 2 weeks ago. I was looking at new shoes first week of 1oo/100 but was to cheap to spend 110.00 for shoes at x-mas tie. Ended getting the 2140's for 79.00 each plus had 50. gift certificate. The shoes finally came..... well I ordered them a week ago. Not a minute to soon got 2 blisters :(My payback 4 being cheap:) on my feet during yesterdays long run. I use the superfeet orth's but shhh.... don't tell dev that. I will try rotating these. Do you do day for day every other day or week for week. I do not wear them for beating around I use the old used up ones for that.

Quote | Reply
I rotate by the day. Probably should do it by the run, but I am too lazy to move the orthotics. (Have I set a new low in laziness?)
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [madfuzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are doing this challenge correctly, IMO. I won't be talked into doing more than my schedule says just so I can "compete". Stick with this. There are those of us who aren't in this for big mileage numbers!

Maybe we just need to be more vocal about it so others doing the same thing don't get drowned out.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doing it for fun...........FUN.........how's that Jen?
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are doing this challenge correctly, IMO. I won't be talked into doing more than my schedule says just so I can "compete". Stick with this. There are those of us who aren't in this for big mileage numbers!

Maybe we just need to be more vocal about it so others doing the same thing don't get drowned out.

+1

I use the challenge as a motivation to get a 30 minute run in on those days when i just want to
sit on my butt.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doing it for fun...........FUN.........how's that Jen?

What's this fun you speak of?

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Jen. Do this challenge within your means (current base and existing plan for the winter).

Use it for motivation when you're having a tough time sticking to your program. Don't use it to go way beyond your existing program by layering on extra workouts just to keep up with anonymous online posters. They won't be there to pull you out of your misery when you are injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have layed down a huge base from a few months before last years 100/100. I did mainly 30-35 minute runs that whole time and that helped me immensley shaving over 30 minutes (Think/know my time would have been even better if I did not crash and walk around NYC shopping 10 hrs a day for two days before the race :) from my NYC tri time. I worked it up over the last year slowly. I would be doing this anyway even if there was not a challenge. Seems I am a bit addicted to the running now. Can that be so.....nah that is not possable. If you do go back in my run log over the last year you will see some 50- 58 mile run weeks in there. This is the first time I have strung together 3-70 mile weeks.before this I have logged two 50some mile weeks. This is the first time I have ever strung together that kind mileage. I do not know where I am going with this training I mainly do sprint, oly and a half or so. Like Jime said doing it for fun. I enjoy the run time just to get out and run for runnings sake. But I also agree with Dev do not go beyond your current fitness and get caught up in chasing the spreadsheet. I actually made a flimsy half ass plan just before the warm up to the 100/100 to get my endurance up and to get me faster using the 100/100.

Quote | Reply
Dev,
I agree with you and Jen that there is too much spreadsheet chasing. Last year, I did 900+k in the challenge and did just under 3100k for the year. The base was a bit higher than the weekly average but not significantly. I was weekly averaging about 65k for most of the year with a few points over the 80k during the last phase of the challenge. I am am looking for roughly the same runs with 950+k as a goal. I also keep my tri training going during the challenge and push the volume in the water during the challenge and ride 4-5 per week. Now I have over 40 years under my belt with a past of high mileage in my youth. but to see people running 70+ miles per week and the yearly mileage averaging less than half that per week at best is a recipe for disaster. The challenge is a great tool if done correctly but if not it can be a danger or a trip to the doctor. I run 5x per week 6 x times during 3-5 week build periods. During the challenge I will run 6 times per week with 7 or 8 during a week or two overload. We are seeing people with a program of 3 or 4 runs per week now running ten times per week. I ran that kind of frequency when I ran 90+ week. If you look at the experienced runner here the challenge puts them slightly over the weekly average for the year.
I had a nice talk at Clearwater with Craig Alexander about his run training and found out that he had a mileage base for the year and overloaded about 25-35% during a 3-4 week build period for Kona. This is is from the best in our sport.
As a coach , i think a lot of athletes on the site are looking for the magic bullet and do not realize that the object is to go from 4 runs per week in year one to 5 times in year 2 and so on so forth each year. It is how you progress from season to season. If you look at successful athletes in any sport the really good ones build on their success and keep injuries to a minimum. Injury forces you backward not forward so do appropriate increases year to year. When I was younger I went from one level to the next in sequence and managed to get down to pretty fast 10k times open and in triathlons but it was accomplished with patience and consistency. Also when doing mileage you must keep an eye on your shoes because they do not last long with high mileage. Probably only 350-400 miles before the midsole breaks down.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh. People agree with me. Looks like I'm getting smarter!

I do hope everyone is having fun with this. I built up a huge running base for this, running pretty much every day for the last year, so injury isn't likely unless I get stupid. Everyone needs to follow their body's messages.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen,
I have been involved in running as a compeititor and coach for over 40 years and went many years without missing a day running. The way you prepared for challenge is a natural progression into your training program and goals. I just hope everyone use the challenge for what it is and not mindless 30 minute runs at slow paces. The challenge is not the competition but rather a tool for the athlete to reach their goals in competition.
Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Scot.

I think for everyone the safest thing is to take your mileage for the entire year of 2009. Divide by 52. This is your baseline target weekly mileage during this challenge.

If you are a 2600K 2009 runner (very few of you here on this challenge), that works out to a starting point of 50K. The challenge lasts for 14 weeks or so. Don't suddenly believe that you can go from a 50 k per week runner for an entire year to a 80 kpw runner for 14 weeks (over a quarter of a year).

People "THINK" they are 50 mile per week runners, because they take a couple of peak weeks and think that is what they did all year, when in reality, for a lot of these folks they are really 20 mile per week runners (averaging through the year). Then suddenly it's back to 50 miles per week and by the 4th or 5th week things are going the wrong way. As Scot says, getting injured will take you backwards.

Be honest with the assessment of what your base really is. I'd go further and take the aggregate of the last 3 years and divide that by 156....to get your weekly target mileage sustainable minimum....from there you can then assess how much you can safely push.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,
The other thing that I am seeing is people starting this chalenge in a mad rush. Now I am not talking about poeple who are accomplished runners with a high mileage base but the object of this challenge is to build that you are strongest at the end of the 100 days. I was way ahead with my running program (mileageand speed) as the challenge was about to start and took 10 days off to bring my pace to base building and the tempo stuff back to the appropriate level for January. I look for a peak in the spring and another peak in the fall so age group pr's are not for December and January without risking injury for the peak.
"Flying in January,Frying in October" That was said by Mark Allen and I think of that when I am going too hard at the wrong times. If you run 50 times per 100 days the rest of the year maybe 70 runs should be the goal and not double the amount of runs at this time. Like it has been mentioned on this thread before the object is to improve for the season. I also think that one needs to put the mileage in at the proper paces or the normal training paces for their current level of fitness.
I hope everyone is enjoying the challenge but keep it in perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People "THINK" they are 50 mile per week runners, because they take a couple of peak weeks and think that is what they did all year, when in reality, for a lot of these folks they are really 20 mile per week runners (averaging through the year). Then suddenly it's back to 50 miles per week and by the 4th or 5th week things are going the wrong way. As Scot says, getting injured will take you backwards.

I like this, because I think in a base period I'm a 25-30 mpw runner. By the end of this I'll probably be a 30-40 mpw runner.

This all comes back to "common sense". Train what your body is capable of handling, not what you wish it was capable of.
Last year I stuck to a high diet of 30 minute runs for the first several weeks, because that is what I felt my body was
capable of. This year I have a number of 30 minute runs, but I also have 50 minute runs in there. My distance is
up, but ONLY because my base is more solid.

You forget this at your own peril.

IMO. YMMV. JenHS is smart. ;)

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the challenge should have two purposes: 1) to increase your running totals (there by improving your running) and 2) the whole point of the challenge is exactly that to "Challenge" yourself. Having said that it has to work into where you are in your training. Last year my "challenge" was to run as much as possible because it was a run focus time for me (with a spring marathon).
This year, I am using the cahllenge in the exact opposite way, I don't want to see my name in the top half of the standings, because I am focusing on my biking/swimming this off-season. So when I see myself in 95 place, I know that I am right on track;-) (further reinforced by sorting the challenge by Aerobic points, I leap from 95th to 18th still a ways off the top aerobic points guys but I am ok with that)

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: 100/100 Runs Challenge (Started Dec 15th, not too late to join) [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was a trail run at Toro County Park in Monterey County. Today was a run through Carmel. Gee, California is ridiculously handsome.

My stint as professional vacationer ends today when I fly back to Florida.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next