Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1/2 Marathon Time in a 1/2 Ironman
Quote | Reply
I just ran a 1:30 1/2 marathon. This was the day after a 47 mile easy bike ride. There was no taper before the race. Any ideas what pace I should shoot for in the 1/2 Iron, run portion? I was thinking 1:45.

Thx. for the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Marathon Time in a 1/2 Ironman [TriHanrahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ran 1:30 with no taper, I would say 1:35 max. I run between 1:25 and 1:28 in Half Ironmans last year. I did not run a half marathon last year, but my opening half marathon at Boston last year was 1:25. I can't imagine that I could run any less than 1:20 for a half marathon on fresh legs. The key to a fast half marathon is your cycling fitness. I would recommend preceeding any 90 min training runs with 30 min on the traininer or rollers to get used to running 90 min fast off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect it depends on the course. I have not actually done a 1/2 IM yet - Wildflower will be my first - but I am budgeting an extra 20 minutes in to my race goals.

My 1/2 marathon time is 1:30, but this is on a roughly flat course. From what I hear, the run course at Wildflower is filled with hills - I am adding 10 minutes for this. I am also adding 10 minutes to compensate for the bike time. I will probably adjust these goals once I run the course this weekend - depending on how hard it really is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually am around 6-10 minutes slower in a half ironman run than I would be if I were just racing a half marathon. Obviously, the course and conditions (ie. extreme heat or humidity) and level of fitness can have an impact on this.
Quote Reply
Re: 1/2 Marathon Time in a 1/2 Ironman [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the bike first then run training. I already do a fair chunk of it. The course is Keauhou. Pretty flat except for the pit. The heat is the problem. I think I'll set my goal for 1:40.

Thx.
Quote Reply