Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season
Quote | Reply
Well, for the first time ever I've ridden 1,000 miles in a season! Yesterday was abover 50 here in Michigan, and I was lacking only about 25 miles for my 1,000, so I took the afternoon off and made it out the door just in time for it to start pissing down on me. Once thoroughly soaked I did a couple of loops, during which time I found that, gee, it is really windy, I guess the weatherman is right. Made it back to the turnaround, and then had about 30 minutes of leg-burning, gear-grinding effort to get home at about 15mph. I actually came within about a gnat's eyelash of getting blown over twice.

Was it the best ride ever? Nope. Did I make my goal? Yep!

The best thing is that while trying to hit the 1,000 I've been both training and bike commuting. So, really, I've got about 1,400 miles this year; the 1,000 is a 'pure' 1,000 counting only time on my race bike.

Wahoo!!
Quote Reply
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [Ginsu Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm a little surprised that no one threw out a cheers or anything. No, I don't need your approval or validation, but what, is only doing an IM worthy of reply by people? It seems like every other day I read a race report or wild ride report and people line up to add congratulations. Guess I or 1,00 miles are simply not worthy of recognition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whooooo Hooo Dave You RAWWWWWKKKKK!!!!!!

~Matt

(((((((((Hug))))))))))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I keep track of my workouts in 4 week cycles but never really look back at total mileage, except when trying to figure out when to replace running shoes. When you say "season," what are you referring to? A calendar year or what? Congrats to you for the milestone, I have no idea whether or not I have reached it, let me go back and look.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No, I don't need your approval or validation..."

Then what's with the attitude at nobody offering it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Dave

You're probably not getting much response 'cuz that's actually pretty light mileage by the standards many on this forum.

I'm more roadie than triathlete. I just passed 11,000 miles for the year a couple of days ago. But I live in the sunny South.

Perspective.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave, to paraphrase a line that Scott Tinley wrote a few years ago, sometimes an accomplishment is diminished when shared. Many things are better left kept to ourselves. It's hard sometimes to be able to let others know the magnitude of what you have done or felt at any given moment, and to try to explain them darkens rather than illuminates them.

Not trying to piss on your parade, but you've been around here long enough to know what will and won't draw accolades.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice, Dave! But count it *all*. As a friend once told me, "miles is miles" :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good stuff Ginsu Dave! I'm guessing the same thing someone else said about 1,000 not being alot for many of the cycle studs on ST. I keep a training log on BeginnerTriathlete.com and it automatically adds up all your mileage for everything, and I started keeping mine in July and have done over 1,000 since then. Feels good huh? Congrats!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice job. congrats. way to hang tough.

I think no one responded because everyone switched to the metric system so your number is not divisible by ten and therefore not worthy of recognition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, congrats - but I agree with Psycholist. That is not a lot of miles for many around here. I never ride less than about 4,000 miles/year and I live where it snows too. But, keep it going :) Post back 2,000 next year!

Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replys. That's kind of what I thought--that my grand accomplishment for the year was someone else's November mileage total and that thus it didn't seem worthy of reply or recognition.

I guess I just thought that we all liked to help each celebrate whatever accomplishment was meaningful to one of us, not try to be arbiters of some grand standard 'you are hardcore and worthy of recognition' versus 'piss off peon with little mileage'.

Oh well. I'll go away until I can rack up 5,000 in a year--maybe that might be half good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to rain on your parade Dave but when I was in high school 1000 miles for the summer was an accomplishment. I think a rival school even had "1000 mile club" for those who put in the mileage over the summer. The only difference of course is that was for running, not biking. Just a little perspective.

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [qcassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know, its all relative. i guess that I just hoped that this was a place to celebrate whatever accomplishment insport was important to someone, not to get into pissing matches. Hardly anyone in my day to day life has any real appreciation for what it takes to do even 1,000 miles in a year (or any appreciation for why you would even want to try), so I thought this was the place to share my accomplishment with people that would appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, considering that 10 months ago, I had never run more than 3 miles, biked more than about 5, or swam over a mile, I applaud you!!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very true. Now you should take your new found confidence from achieving this goal and try to out-do it next year. Oh, and dont forget to have fun.

--------------------------

Team Timex 2014
@ajhodges
Quote Reply
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'm betting the majority of this was at >20mph!. (When is your 50 mile 50th ride?)...Ken
Quote Reply
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. And, yep, next year I'll include all miles and aim for 2,000 total across all bikes (commuter/singlespeed, race bike, borrowed bikes). Maybe I can hit 10,000 in a year by the time I'm 40. I think I feel a new goal coming on...

But, how the hell does on ride 10,000 in a year? Like, what does a week of riding look like?
Quote Reply
Last edited by: Martin C: Nov 29, 05 12:25
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [IMKEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And I'm betting the majority of this was at >20mph!. (When is your 50 mile 50th ride?)...Ken"

Crud. I didn't think I had any local lurkers reading my posts. I thought I was getting away with posting in relative annonymity. Does this mean everyone on the Sat. ride has seen my bike fit photo? CRUD!

After our Sat. ride, my wife and I went out and bought an inversion table on the advice of a good friend who's a massage therapist. I haven't been able to think about touching the bike for the last two days. That darned thing has nearly crippled me. But I think I'm an inch taller!

As for the 50 miler for my 50th, I'm thinking Saturday the 17th. I turn 50 the day before.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"But, how the hell does on ride 10,000 in a year? Like, what does a week of riding look like?"

This is a fairly average week during the season (300ish miles). Big weeks (for me) are 400 miles. It's much easier when you don't swim or run:)

Monday: Recovery (20 miles) or OFF
Tuesday: AM easy (30 miles), PM Crit (20 miles)
Wednesday: MTB single speed (20 miles)
Thursday: AM easy with climb intervals (60 miles)
Friday: Recovery (20 miles)
Saturday: Race (40-80 miles)
Sunday: LSD (100+ miles)
Last edited by: jhendric: Nov 29, 05 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [qcassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I call BS on this! 1000 running miles in 3 months (typical school summer) ~10 miles everyday?! Ain't buying it.

Congrats on the first 1k.

Maybe if you told the group you did it on a Cervelo, you would have gotten more of a response...better yet a titanflex!
Quote Reply
Re: 1,000 miles- First Time Ever in a Season [Tri Poseur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typical High School summer isn't even 3 months. Seems like an awful lot. I ran with a teammate who was a XC state champion and top-10 nationally and his mileage wasn't anywhere near this. I say BS too.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next