Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah so basically to watch spring classics + tour new subscribers have to pay $20 + whatever the new fee July 1st. Which I bet is the kicker on the price, but I bet it's still pretty good.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
And this: gummy bears ftw?

http://cyclocosm.tumblr.com/post/157736992262/today-in-peter-sagan-does-weird-crapan-entire

perhaps for the sponsors? that was a full of win moment

not actually sure if it's gummy bears

------------------------------------------

Also, I think Stuyvens will place prominently in a race this year. He was close at E3 last year, after all.
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 26, 17 16:37
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
and there's this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtwlVEmLwFs

That made me laugh. It's like Spinal Tap meets UCI.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up for this thing last year and it still works. I believe I did it in July for the tour and I paid 29 or so. That's all I paid. I downloaded their app on Roku and my phone and used it on both successfully for the Tour and later Vuelta.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes what they are doing is essentially putting the $30 package on sale for rest of spring classics + june. Then July 1st you have to pay $30 for July '17-June '18. Decent package. I buy the ITU package for $20 and that's only 10 races. Just the spring schedule gets you like 20 days of racing. The kicker is the other guy who just bought it will have to renew if you he wants to watch Tour.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
rubik wrote:
And this: gummy bears ftw?

http://cyclocosm.tumblr.com/post/157736992262/today-in-peter-sagan-does-weird-crapan-entire

perhaps for the sponsors? that was a full of win moment

not actually sure if it's gummy bears

------------------------------------------

Also, I think Stuyvens will place prominently in a race this year. He was close at E3 last year, after all.

Haha. I've noticed him chewing mounds of whatever in post race interviews before. Never knew what it was but it's always within minutes of finishing. This did look like a bag of standard Haribo gummy bears. The interview below that video on the Tumblr page is gold too. "Is this where you lost the race?" "No"...Silence. Hahaha. Love it.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great start to the classics!

Wish Velogames was ready for the start.

Ordered a amazon firestick and hoping to figure out Kodi to watch some cycling
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Indeed it was a good start to the REAL bike racing season! :)

Sagan appears to be on-form. He admitted in the post-race interview at Omloop that, these are "training races", and he's not to worked up about results - but a 2nd and a win in the first two significant races of the European season, shows he's in far better form than he's letting on.

One thing that may become an issue as they progress through the Spring season - team support for Sagan. In both Omloop and KBK, I don't seem to recall there being any other Bora riders with him late in the race! The other teams with favourites - SKY, Quick-Step, BMC, Trek, and a few others had multiple riders up front deep into both races.

Interesting that with 4 riders BMC could not close that 30 - 40 second gap down from the leaders in the finale at KBK - but they had a number in the group, SKY (Stannard I think) etc . ., who would NOT contribute.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 27, 17 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

"In both Omloop and KBK, I don't seem to recall there being any other Bora riders with him late in the race! "

He's used to it. :)

Truly, Stuyven was taking such strong pulls for the Sagan group, you could see Sagan relax. And then, well, that was that.

I think Sagan adds 1 or 2 kph if he shaves and cuts his hair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Interesting that with 4 riders BMC could not close that 30 - 40 second gap down from the leaders in the finale at KBK - but they had a number in the group, SKY (Stannard I think) etc . ., who would NOT contribute.

They couldnt close the gap because the motos were way too close and it really bothers me. If you watch the footage at the point where the 5man break forms, Sagan is in front for the whole time drafting from a moto. Later on, they always have 2motos in front whereas the chasers have only a side-moto. This annoys me......
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's used to it. :)

Indeed - he did not get a bunch of team support from Tinkoff when he was there either!

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brooke,

Yes, you are correct. I paid $20 for basically a couple of pre-Tour races. I've asked them for a refund.

Not a customer friendly move by NBC Sports. Advertise a special then tell the customer it is valid until the biggest race starts...

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Indeed it was a good start to the REAL bike racing season! :)

Sagan appears to be on-form. He admitted in the post-race interview at Omloop that, these are "training races", and he's not to worked up about results - but a 2nd and a win in the first two significant races of the European season, shows he's in far better form than he's letting on.

One thing that may become an issue as they progress through the Spring season - team support for Sagan. In both Omloop and KBK, I don't seem to recall there being any other Bora riders with him late in the race! The other teams with favourites - SKY, Quick-Step, BMC, Trek, and a few others had multiple riders up front deep into both races.

Good summary. The only thing I would add is that it was cool to see the "sprinters semi-classic" being contested by a small group. Not much fun watching a race were 60 guys get to the final Km together. If that happens the race race wasn't hard enough. Milan-San Remo is the only race were the final 60K is interesting enough to watch what is usually a field sprint.

Also nice to see new faces in the front group. Benoot, Stuyven, Jules.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Jules? Who's that?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stuyven is going to win some big races, he caused the key split in OHN. I watched OHN again as I only saw the last 20k, wow Sagan literally pulled for 50k. As contador says style is more important than winning. It's like 2011 roubaix, I remember that race for Cancellara riding through the entire field, making the cobbles look like he was riding on glass.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [bentus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bentus wrote:
Fleck wrote:

They couldnt close the gap because the motos were way too close and it really bothers me. If you watch the footage at the point where the 5man break forms, Sagan is in front for the whole time drafting from a moto. Later on, they always have 2motos in front whereas the chasers have only a side-moto. This annoys me......

Yes let's take a sport that is struggling and now make the video quality worse because people don't like the potential draft effect. Make the break and you don't have that problem.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [bentus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bentus wrote:
Fleck wrote:

The Moto's played a part. But a bigger issue was that the chasers only had 3.5 BMC guys pulling and 15odd passengers. The leaders were working very well together and you could argue that pretty much all of them were simply stronger than the 3 poor BMC chaps who did the lion's share of the chase (with GvA only doing quick turns in hopes of saving some.juice for the presumed catch).
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [themuse1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themuse1 wrote:
Hi Brooke,

Yes, you are correct. I paid $20 for basically a couple of pre-Tour races. I've asked them for a refund.

Not a customer friendly move by NBC Sports. Advertise a special then tell the customer it is valid until the biggest race starts...

Agreed. Will also be asking for a refund.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Benv wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Jules? Who's that?

this guy?

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Stuyven is going to win some big races, he caused the key split in OHN. I watched OHN again as I only saw the last 20k, wow Sagan literally pulled for 50k. As contador says style is more important than winning. It's like 2011 roubaix, I remember that race for Cancellara riding through the entire field, making the cobbles look like he was riding on glass.

ugh, you meant really/almost/etc, but certainly not literally.

SailorSam wrote:

The Moto's played a part. But a bigger issue was that the chasers only had 3.5 BMC guys pulling and 15odd passengers. The leaders were working very well together and you could argue that pretty much all of them were simply stronger than the 3 poor BMC chaps who did the lion's share of the chase (with GvA only doing quick turns in hopes of saving some.juice for the presumed catch).

this. BMC's mistake was not having GvA sitting on Sagan's wheel. One's gotta anticipate the moves as opposed to pulling in the hope that the gap could be closed. GvA should have stuck to Sagan the way he stuck to Fuglsang's wheel at the Olympic Road Race.
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 27, 17 19:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i didnt see Saturday's result or anything, but what is the interview w Sagan and another rider, and Sagan goes "why didnt you attack". What was situation there?

-thx for these threads. don't always get to watch the classics but love the commentary on it from you guys!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
i didnt see Saturday's result or anything, but what is the interview w Sagan and another rider, and Sagan goes "why didnt you attack". What was situation there?

-thx for these threads. don't always get to watch the classics but love the commentary on it from you guys!

Vanmarcke was being interviewed by Sporza. Sagan shows up to the studio, jokes around by lowering the chair, and asks Vanmarcke why the latter didn't attack (presumably so that GvA wouldn't have had as easy a ride to the line). Vanmarcke replied (with a straight face) that they agreed to duke it out in a sprint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Sep was really waiting for the final sprint then he knew he would be second or third... dude hasn't win a classic sprint like never LOL

Strade Bianche
Stybar
KWIATKOWSKI
Sagan

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
If Sep was really waiting for the final sprint then he knew he would be second or third... dude hasn't win a classic sprint like never LOL

Strade Bianche
Stybar
KWIATKOWSKI
Sagan

Except of course, that time he beat Boonen and Flecha in a 3 man sprint... at the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss82UA9j1RA
Last edited by: Benv: Feb 28, 17 7:39
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss82UA9j1RA

Wow! Thanks for that share.

It's a good day when you can out-sprint an on-form Tom Boonen when he was at his best!

I forgot that VanMarcke had a stop at Garmin-Cervelo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to split hairs bc beating Boonen is beating Boonen and I'm a Sep fan and happy that he's now with Cannondale. But this reminded me of some comments TB made in this article. I'm reminded at how completely, utterly dialed in these guys are as to peaking and when to be really "on form". The first weekend is a big put hay in the barn time for the guys with later objectives.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/...es-with-discs-315661
Quote Reply

Prev Next