Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stybar on GVA
hard hit here

too far for anyone not in the GVA group
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Apr 9, 17 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are letting Stybar tagging on?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [drmiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been working fine for me, nice high def quality too. sorry to hear it

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Website came up since that post, but Roku is still down. Got a bunch of replies on Twitter that it's not just me... glad it's working for others here!
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there we are, Stybar gets his comeuppance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
full on bow to GVA, he was the best of the best of the best on the day.

Stybar recognized the move perfectly, almost boxed him in, which was his best shot, but still couldn't stop him.
great ride Stybar, better ride GVA

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all this after having a mechanical and crashing. detractors can't quip about him sitting on for more than his share as that title just got handed to "take no turn" Stybar
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GvA is otherworldly this spring.

I'd rather be Donald Trump than Stybar right now.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 9, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last weekends I have easily find a high quality stream on Youtube.
Today it was a French stream, but then the race was live on Norwegian radio over Internet so I got a perfect morning.

Great race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to dive Stybar into a barrier because he is sitting on is some cat 4 shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautifully done by BMC. GVA needs to break off a corner of the cobble and give it to Oss.

I'm happy for GVA to start getting results. Seems that for years he was almost there but had bad luck or something. But I was impressed that the guy would never quit.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indeed; Oss did a phenomenal job, probably gave GvA a good 10 km to rest and sit back while the former was in the lead. Every ounce of energy counts in Roubaix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drmiles wrote:
Is NBC Sports Gold working for anybody? It's been down all morning for me. Very frustrating to pay for this.

Nope, never worked for me either. Was able to get the French Sport feed live on YouTube and it worked great to see the last 20km. Agree, it was super disappointing the Gold App failed

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
indeed; Oss did a phenomenal job, probably gave GvA a good 10 km to rest and sit back while the former was in the lead. Every ounce of energy counts in Roubaix.

Oss went into lead break, with Stuyven, with 76 km to go. He was caught by the chase group including GVA with 24 km to go. So for 50 km GVA could sit in the chasing group. Then he worked hard at front to extend/keep the margin for the leading group until he was toast. [Edit: Oss and Stuyven caught at around 40 kmtg, but then he soon goes off again.]

Stuyven too had an incredible ride. Maybe Trek should have had him sit up and waited for Deg when he was dropped from podium group. However, Deg missed out when he let GVA, Stybar and the chase get away. Also there was plenty of power in the big chase and Stuyven wasn't going to change the dynamic.

I'm going to give a tie to Stuyven and Oss for strongest men in the race.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Apr 9, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
echappist wrote:

Oss went into lead break, with Stuyven, with 76 km to go. He was caught by the chase group including GVA with 24 km to go. So for 50 km GVA could sit in the chasing group. Then he worked hard at front to extend/keep the margin for the leading group until he was toast.

Stuyven too had an incredible ride. Maybe Trek should have had him sit up and waited for Deg when he was dropped from podium group. However, Deg missed out when he let GVA, Stybar and the chase get away. Also there was plenty of power in the big chase and Stuyven wasn't going to change the dynamic.

I'm going to give a tie to Stuyven and Oss for strongest men in the race.

SAGAN was much stronger, both moves he made would have won but had flats each time.GVA has been insanely lucky this year with no mechanicals and always in good position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
GvA is otherworldly this spring.

I'd rather be Donald Trump than Stybar right now.

LOL, classic.

I'm sympathetic to Stybar. from ~30K on he knew his best shot was a GVA mechanical. and when that plan fell thru he hoped for the chasing group to wreck GVA on the track. and when that didn't quite work, he had to rely on the finish line being 20 yards short of where it is sposed to be. and when THAT didn't work .......

shoot, the only reason not to sit on would be if you thought you could surreptitiously throw a water bottle in front of Greg. GVA was the man of the match, the man of the spring. huzza

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
SAGAN was much stronger, both moves he made would have won but had flats each time.GVA has been insanely lucky this year with no mechanicals and always in good position.

You may be correct.

But I'm still giving the strongest rider award to Oss and Stuyven because they worked the most during the whole race. Others maybe could have worked more, but none did. Oss of course did his work for GVA.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oss was a monster today, probably kep Sagan from rejoining. I am just waiting for the GVA positive A sample now ;)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great podium for Cannondale. Thought Langevelt should have jumped earlier. If he had that might have changed the order. Good for GvA. He's been a stud all spring.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a side note Sagan needs to get off of Specialized tubulars and get some FMB's with sealent.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Great podium for Cannondale. Thought Langevelt should have jumped earlier. If he had that might have changed the order. Good for GvA. He's been a stud all spring.

Yeah, good to see Cannondale back in the game. Yeah, I think Langeveld missed one good chance to jump. It was just after Stybar's dig. GvA and Stybar sat up a little and were eyeballing each other and Langevelt got like 3 bike lengths for free. I wanted him to just push any cards he had left into a jump there. Maybe the other two play games into making the other chase, and maybe Langeveld gets a dangerous gap. Unlikely to work, and he was probably too cooked. But that was his only play for better than 3rd. van Baarle also rode very well. Hopefully Cannondale builds into good Grand Tour form.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Oss was unbelievable. Rode most of the day out front. Got caught. Made the critical split. Then was able to drill that ~10K and cement the break for GvA even with Katusha, Trek, and Bora in full panic mode just behind. Absolute monster. His beer will be on GvA's tab for the rest of the season.

Edit: Though for this race I think riding out front in a small group at an even pace is maybe easier - or at least a wash - vs. riding in the field. We saw that last year with Hayman. You don't have to fight for position going into each sector. And you don't have to do every sector at breakneck speed.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 9, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Wild card: farrar

Well your wildcard (OTL) beat my wildcard and one of my podium picks (Durbridge and Kristoff DNF). Only my Stybar pick bailed me out of complete ineptitude.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
echappist wrote:

Oss was unbelievable. Rode most of the day out front. Got caught. Made the critical split. Then was able to drill that ~10K and cement the break for GvA even with Katusha, Trek, and Bora in full panic mode just behind. Absolute monster. His beer will be on GvA's tab for the rest of the season.

Edit: Though for this race I think riding out front in a small group at an even pace is maybe easier - or at least a wash - vs. riding in the field. We saw that last year with Hayman. You don't have to fight for position going into each sector. And you don't have to do every sector at breakneck speed.

i'm referring to the 15 km during which Oss was away, solo ( ~40km to ~25km). GvA did need to jump away from the front group to bridge up to Stybar et co, but once he did that, he could sit on the back of that group. Ditto the few kms before Stybar et co attacked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was really marked out massively by Degenkolb. To me, he rode the most cowardly race of his life. It's a pity but I resigned myself to it."

Wow. Not sure I'd call it cowardly but I was thinking the same thing. Roubaix insists you put in your time on the front. Degenkolb was being too cute. Or, he just couldn't. He sure wasn't deferring to Stuyvens.
Quote Reply

Prev Next