Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seem to be wasting Terpstra. He's one of the best at making a late attack stick, and yet most of the time when he makes it to the key move they tell him to sit on.

I believe that it was QS that first stopped contributing to the group of ~15 when they had numbers (3), which prompted the Keuleleire attacks/splits. It's too big a group to work well together, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if they contributed and then let Terpstra do his late attack at 15km while Stybar/Lampaert sit on.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
They seem to be wasting Terpstra. He's one of the best at making a late attack stick, and yet most of the time when he makes it to the key move they tell him to sit on.

I believe that it was QS that first stopped contributing to the group of ~15 when they had numbers (3), which prompted the Keuleleire attacks/splits. It's too big a group to work well together, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if they contributed and then let Terpstra do his late attack at 15km while Stybar/Lampaert sit on.

It's tough when you have former monument winners and world champs like Terpstra and Gilbert playing basically super doms and yet they have more savvy and sometimes better legs on the day than the new young guns the team rides for. Terpstra wasn't going to get that win in that group but he could still outlast people at Roubaix if the stars line up.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilbert demonstrated some incredible riding today at De Panne, if he keeps this form up he will be a serious threat at Flanders.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no kidding. almost too good. he's been 'peaking' for a month.

I love the Phil the Thrill style. great racing sense and no fear of failing. I hope the Ronde works out.

Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looks like he's having a blast, no pressure. Saw that at Dwars when he and Lampaert went one two.
So much fun to watch. Always mixing it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Patersberg would suit him. I recall quipping five years ago (yes, that's how long since he last did RvV) that the Oude Kwaremont/Patersberg combo would suit him in terms of his attacking dispositions. That never fully panned out, but perhaps may pan out this year?

Unlike Terpstra, Gilbert could sprint as well
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
The Patersberg would suit him. I recall quipping five years ago (yes, that's how long since he last did RvV) that the Oude Kwaremont/Patersberg combo would suit him in terms of his attacking dispositions. That never fully panned out, but perhaps may pan out this year?

Unlike Terpstra, Gilbert could sprint as well

He's looking like he could be in the final group Sunday but I still see him playing the shit starter (antagonist) for the other hitters. Would love to be wrong. And at 35 or whatever, how does he ride and tt again tomorrow and be ready to rock on Sunday. Maybe the plan was to lock it up today and just manage tomorrow. They have this all dialed and he's going great so what do I know.

I've been trying to find an attack from Phil Gil from about 3 years ago for the win that I thought was brilliant. Uphill, from about 2 k out,....forget the race but it was maybe LBL? Just smart. Any ideas?

Glad to see Kristoff get some today. Seems like a stand up, candid guy.

Watching these races through towns, neighborhoods, riding on the sidewalks, crowds on a Tuesday, Wednesday. Kristoff finishes today and there are a bunch of amateur riders just hanging around with the press. Thought they were other pros until I saw the leg warmers and guts. Pretty cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

I've been trying to find an attack from Phil Gil from about 3 years ago for the win that I thought was brilliant. Uphill, from about 2 k out,....forget the race but it was maybe LBL? Just smart. Any ideas?

Uphill from about 2K out describes about 75% of Gilbert wins, but maybe 2014 Amstel Gold?

Last edited by: trail: Mar 29, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Uphill from about 2K out describes about 75% of Gilbert wins, but maybe 2014 Amstel Gold?

well, that and also the previous iteration at 2012 Worlds. Both launched about 300 m onto the Cauberg. The attack wasn't smart, just brute force.

For a smart win, one of his breakaway wins at the 2015 Giro. Dropped on the climb, chased back and sling shot off the front group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Loop in 2006 and 2008. they were awesome. attack and attack again. attack, bridge, attack, drop, win.

oh, and his recent wins in the Giro. 2015 or 2016. bridge and blow thru, solo to win.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Mar 29, 17 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

That's it. Thanks.
The minutes prior to the attack was super interesting. I think someone went or few went and they brought him/them back and then PG countered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2012 Worlds, even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R79rkoXlmo0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit. I thought it was hilarious.
https://www.theguardian.com/...ding-bike-lanes-race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

man, I am really digging this Phil-Gil stuff. I love to see him back. and Kristoff hammered for a 3rd Overall. it would be great to see him back in form. his 15 spring season was great.

I am really looking forward to Sunday. the forecast is lovely spring weather. could be a shootout.

related question - what kind of beer are they drinking course side? I only know Chimay and Corsendonk.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...17/stage-3b/results/
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's Kwaremont bier, but it's. average.

Belgian equivalent of Budweiser would be Jupiler.

But why settle for junk when you can drink Duvel blonde ale? 8% abv, slight hint of hop, smooth, and will get you drunk in no time.

Ommegang, Its American cousin (and wholly owned subsidiary of Duvel), is equally acceptable.

Chimay is an excellent choice as well, but a bit heavy for mid mornings
Last edited by: echappist: Mar 30, 17 18:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great ride by QS and Kittel. Nutty circuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

But why settle for junk when you can drink Duvel blonde ale? 8% abv, slight hint of hop, smooth, and will get you drunk in no time.

Ommegang, Its American cousin (and wholly owned subsidiary of Duvel), is equally acceptable.

excellent. thank you. I plan to have a beer while watching with chums. Duvel it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
echappist wrote:

excellent. thank you. I plan to have a beer while watching with chums. Duvel it is.

"Duvel is the one beer to have when you're having more than one."

Out yourselves. Who remembers this beer commercial?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, time to put down your crap beers and get serious.

Flanders:

1. GvA
2. Sagan
3. Kristoff (get up the Paterberg!)

Wildcards

1. Durbridge
2. Colbrelli
Last edited by: trail: Mar 31, 17 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
OK, time to put down your crap beers and get serious.

Flanders:
1. GvA
2. Sagan
3. Kristoff (get up the Paterberg!)

Wildcards
1. Durbridge
2. Colbrelli

I think this is tough. the picks are GVA/Sagan or Sagan/GVA, all else are wildcards. and those cards are:

Phil Gil - is he for real?
Kristoff - one flash in Depanne ... is he for real?
Degenkolb and Stuyven and the entire Orica team
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Mar 31, 17 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going dark horse-ish:
Phil Gil nips GvA, then Sagan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Gil seems to be the one member of QS who has both the legs and the freedom to ignore the DS in his ear telling him to stop working (I'm assuming).
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2017 Spring Classics thread *Spoilers* [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GvA/Gilbert or vice versa; Sagan to be caught out by being out of position one too few many times and settles for third.

Durbridge and Naesen wild cards

Will make up my mind about 1st and 2nd some time soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
GvA/Gilbert or vice versa; Sagan to be caught out by being out of position one too few many times and settles for third.

Durbridge and Naesen wild cards

Will make up my mind about 1st and 2nd some time soon

Alright, let's get serious ;) I'm drinking a Unibroue La Fin Du Monde. Not really Belgian but a nice belgian style triple. Tastes like dessert to me.

I have to put my boy off the top step so as not to jinx him right? I did fairly well in the pool with that tactic last year. And he also ended up having a kickass season.

Here goes:

GvA - I respect him but for some reason can't make myself to like him.
Peto - hometown hero. Even though he can be quite a clown sometimes
Sep - seems like he's only got a few good races/season. This will be it once again.

WC's:
Naesen
Pippo Pozzato - why the hell not
Quote Reply

Prev Next