Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

*Long* movie recommendations for trainer
Quote | Reply
I know movie and TV recommendations have been covered here quite a bit, but I don't remember seeing recommendations specifically for long movies.

I've got my final pre-A-race long trainer ride coming up this weekend (between 4 and 5 hours, depending on family time) and I'm having trouble deciding what to watch.

I watched Godfather Pt.1 on a previous long ride, but found it hard to concentrate enough to really enjoy it. Action movies, on the other hand, can make the time fly by for me.

I guess what I'm looking for are long (i.e. around 3 hours ideally) flicks with a decent amount of action. Any recommendations would be gratefully accepted!

By the way, I know only mad dogs and Englishmen do stupid-long indoor rides. Helpfully (or not) I match at least one of those requirements, so I'm not looking for a debate on long indoor rides!!

Cheers!

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: *Long* movie recommendations for trainer [BungleJapan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a few fancuts of the hobbit trilogy floating around, where all three movies are combined into one, and made to match the book more closely. And you can always look for extend versions of lord of the Rings and similar. But the easiest thing might be to do two movies back to back?
Quote Reply
Re: *Long* movie recommendations for trainer [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea - thanks! I'm happy to do two (or three) back to back, but I'd prefer the first to be around 3 hours to give me a interim target and have a toilet break at the same time!

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A long and good movie is Once upon a time in America. IMO a better gangster movie than the godfather 1 and 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually just pop in one of the German versions of some Ironman, like Frankfurt - they've got surprisingly many of them going on for 6, 7 or even over 9 hours. All done in the best German traditions - no ads, no drama, not much talking - just suffering and plenty of Frodo. Occasional random shots of landscapes with not much action are usually remedied by footage of people enjoying beer. Works for me every time.

May not work for non-Germans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The director's cut of Gladiator is a bit under three hours.

Maybe watch the three Christopher Nolan Batman movies in a row?

Agreed on the Lord of the Rings movies.

Director's cut of Watchmen is three hours.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No action but I've been enjoying rock and roll documentaries. Tom petty is nearly 4 hours, eagles and Chicago are over three. Regarding your mad dog and English men reference, you can get a few hours out of joe cocker. Duff mckragen was interesting as well.

It's distracting more than action and if you put your head down to focus on the workout you can still hear and don't miss much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heat 2h 52m runtime. Michael Mann at his very best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Braveheart is always a good one.

Does it have to be a movie? Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, Vikings and Bosch are two good series I've watched on the trainer/treadmill recently.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any Kevin Costner movie. Most are way longer than they need to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulp Fiction and Saving Private Ryan are both good flicks and long.
Quote Reply
Re: *Long* movie recommendations for trainer [kgro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kgro wrote:
I usually just pop in one of the German versions of some Ironman, like Frankfurt - they've got surprisingly many of them going on for 6, 7 or even over 9 hours. All done in the best German traditions - no ads, no drama, not much talking - just suffering and plenty of Frodo. Occasional random shots of landscapes with not much action are usually remedied by footage of people enjoying beer. Works for me every time.

May not work for non-Germans

Or put on Das Boot. The Director's Cut is a solid 3.5 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: *Long* movie recommendations for trainer [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
minimalist wrote:
There are a few fancuts of the hobbit trilogy floating around, where all three movies are combined into one, and made to match the book more closely. And you can always look for extend versions of lord of the Rings and similar. But the easiest thing might be to do two movies back to back?

I watch the regular ones... they're 3+ hours by themselves. That fancut sounds interesting....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been able to get into movies while riding. Don't know why. I think it's just too much of a decision to make before a ride and I do train indoors frequently. Instead I just watch netflix. I have a long list of shows I want to watch and trainer time is virtually the only time I watch TV so it makes my "what do I watch" decision pretty simple. Currently I'm watching criminal minds, previously watched bones, supernatural, NCIS, merlin, marvel agents of shield, blacklist, white collar, etc, etc, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not specifically movies, but there are many great TV shows that Netflix autoplays from one episode to the next. That's what I do.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: *Long* movie recommendations for trainer [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too! I love watching TV on netflix, but I don't really get the chance to watch movies other than when I'm on the trainer. Or rather, I may get the chance, but it would be one of my wife's choosing!

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Netflix? How about a new series? I found Stranger Things interesting. Jessica Jones ain't bad either. Neither need "much" concentration and will keep you going for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Enemy Of The State" was recently added to Netflix...Will Smith & Gene Hackman have some serious talent; should be enough to hold interest for the 2hr 12min listed runtime...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gettysburg = 4.5hrs
Blade Runner = >2 (many different versions out there)
Pirates of the Caribbean = Most are 2h30min - 2hr45m
Watchmen = 2h42m

Not much action wise but:
Shawshank Redemption = 2.5h
Green Mile = 3h

As other people said:
Braveheart
Lord of the Rings movies

Older movies:
The Ten Commandments (1956)= >3.5h
Ben-Hur (1959)= 3.5h
The Great Escape (1963) = 3h

Did not check which are available on Netflix
Last edited by: tyme: May 19, 17 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black Hawk Down is about 2:40. Try putting in a threshold effort whenever the soldiers are under fire :)
Quote Reply
Re: *Long* movie recommendations for trainer [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
A long and good movie is Once upon a time in America. IMO a better gangster movie than the godfather 1 and 2.

Awesome movie...I always forget about it when talking about gangster movies.
Quote Reply