Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

** Wahoo Kickr HELP **
Quote | Reply
I am thinking about getting a Kickr but I have a specific question that I hope someone can help me with.....

I am training for the 70.3 Worlds in Austria in August and want to know if there is a way to simulate the Austria 70.3 course using the Kickr trainer....kind of like a computrainer can do. Any ideas which programs can, or are the best for this?? I've heard you can through "strava" and "trainer road" and "perfprostudio.com".......but I have not had any luck seeing 100% on their websites that this is an option.

Anyone know if you can simulate specific race courses on the Kickr.....not just random workouts???? Help, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [Fuquani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are many different ways of accomplishing what you want; you could do it through TrainerRoad and Strava Segments for sure...the others I am less sure of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also do it through Best Bike Fit. BBF will generate a "best power pacing plan based desired time or desired NP" which you can then load into TP and ride the course based on that pacing plan.
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think you mean Best Bike Split?

To the OP. Yes, you can definitely do what you're looking to do.
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note that TrainerRoad is a subscription service. Best Bike Split you can create one course for free which should suit your needs.
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea how to specifically do it through either TrainerRoad or Strava....do you have experience in how to exactly do it?
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a Best Bike Split app or something that you use for what you're talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
by "load into TP" do you mean "training peaks"?? Which app with the Kickr would you use to do this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He meant load in "TR" (trainerroad), create your power plan on Best Bike Split then download the resulting TCX file and import that into Trainerroad.
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha.

This stuff seems super confusing coming from a non-smart trainer user. It seems worth it but I guess there might be a learning curve?........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Best Bike Split and TR (not TP)……sorry getting old
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is actually pretty easy, literally a drag and drop from the Best Bike Split file into the TR workout creator. I think there is even a YouTube video on how to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [tjsharpjr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjsharpjr wrote:
It is actually pretty easy, literally a drag and drop from the Best Bike Split file into the TR workout creator. I think there is even a YouTube video on how to do it.

This -

I downloaded the IM Wisconsin erg file from best bike split based on my estimated time. Drag and drop into the TrainerRoad workout creator. It took a day to show up on the TR app on my iphone, but then you can just launch your workout and go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Kickr and love it.

I will add, however, that I suspect one of the reasons that doing this sort of stuff isn't more popular on the Kickr, is that riding courses that have constant (small) elevation changes, can be really annoying and impractical.

I had hoped to ride my favorite local climbs by importing my .gpx files into Perfpro, which is a cinch to do, but upon trying to ride the course in "slope mode" (resistance of the trainer changes to simulate the % slope of the hills), I found that even with maximum smoothing of the course in perfpro, the constantly changing resistance drove me nuts and made the course essentially unrideable. Instead of what I experienced outside, it was like sudden, continuous random changes to the load.

If I was really dead set on riding courses, what I'd do is use Golden Cheetah or Perfpro to average long segments of the climbs, like at least a minute in length (preferably longer) - with constant climbs of that length, it would do a great job simulating the climbs. (But you have to do the manual work to average out the hills by selecting them in Golden Cheetah.)

As is, importing even smoothed .gpx files on the kickr for me resulted in highly erratic power demands that fluctuated on nearly a second-to-second basis, making it impossible to get into any sort of groove.
Last edited by: lightheir: Mar 3, 15 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir, when you get a chance (or want to try it) upgrade to the latest BETA out at the PerfPRO downloads page. A lot went into improving the course smoothing and spike removal. I think you'll find the outdoor courses are a bit better to ride now.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,
Drew.
http://perfprostudio.com
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [jetall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, will give it a try. I really was hoping this would be a useful feature.
Quote Reply
Re: ** Wahoo Kickr HELP ** [jetall3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jetall3 wrote:
lightheir, when you get a chance (or want to try it) upgrade to the latest BETA out at the PerfPRO downloads page. A lot went into improving the course smoothing and spike removal. I think you'll find the outdoor courses are a bit better to ride now.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,
Drew.
http://perfprostudio.com

Hey - is there a way on the beta version to 'repeatedly' apply the Kalman filter? I think right now it toggles on-off. I think it might work even better for me though, if I could apply it repeatedly to really smooth out some of my custom courses so there are even less abrupt elevation changes. (I'm not sure it'll work, just an idea.)
Quote Reply