Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Quickstep with the 1-2, great racing today. I have a sense Gilbert was not overly happy taking second to Terpstra today.

Great, setting up another season of Quickstep self-sabotage!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Quickstep with the 1-2, great racing today. I have a sense Gilbert was not overly happy taking second to Terpstra today.

Gaudin! “ a massive steam engine of a man”

Gilbert could’ve taken a pull or two before dumping him. It was like 2 lions tag teaming a water buffalo.
Last edited by: McNulty: Feb 27, 18 14:22
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Gilbert could’ve taken a pull or two before dumping him. It was like 2 lions tag teaming a water buffalo.

It was interesting, terpstra clearly offered his wheel when attacking but Gilbert sat on and waited forcing Gaudin to counter. At the same point Gilbert is seen shaking his head looking annoyed, who knows what was going on?

I think Strada is the Sagan vs Kiwato show. Possibly Stybar as well, he clearly sat up today saving energy. I would think Valverde would do well at strada, no clue why he is not racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was thinking the same about Strade. It will be more open with Kwiato and Sagan, not to mention GvA and Stybar. Bet Van Aert will be up there too.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Was thinking the same about Strade. It will be more open with Kwiato and Sagan, not to mention GvA and Stybar. Bet Van Aert will be up there too.

I’m not going with Sagan quite yet. Early season, new baby, etc. I’m betting he’s not ready now. And generally, I think they’ve got him programmed for Flanders.
All that said, he can podium off the couch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [the last three] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this could be the best Strade yet. an embarrassment of riches:

Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, Stybar, Oss, GVA, Sagan, no Fabian ... plus Sep and Phinney and Stuyven thrown in for fun.

Can Tom D ride this race? I am surprised to see him on the roster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I’m not going with Sagan quite yet. Early season, new baby, etc. I’m betting he’s not ready now. And generally, I think they’ve got him programmed for Flanders.
All that said, he can podium off the couch.

That is a safe bet, Sagan said his two primary objectives are MSR and Roubaix, well that is what his trainer said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's a good point. Nice that at such a young age you've achieved so much that winning a race like Strade is a shoulder shrug.

That said, tough to be against him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yeah, that's a good point. Nice that at such a young age you've achieved so much that winning a race like Strade is a shoulder shrug.

That said, tough to be against him.

I don't think it's a shrug at Strade as much as an intentional choice based on winning zero Monuments last year.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m really looking forward to watching van Aert. That cadence is cool to watch relative to the others and theoretically at least, he should have some punch left at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
this could be the best Strade yet. an embarrassment of riches:

Kwiatkowski, Gilbert, Stybar, Oss, GVA, Sagan, no Fabian ... plus Sep and Phinney and Stuyven thrown in for fun.

Can Tom D ride this race? I am surprised to see him on the roster.

Dumoulin finished fifth last year. As long as his derailleur doesn't go kaput, he should be okay
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, no love for Nibali???

I think the finish is too steep for Sagan to win right now but as demonstrated at GP Quebec last year, he can get off the couch and make his mark. Kwiatkowski is looking really good, while Gilbert and GvA not so great last week. My picks:
Kwiatkowski, Stybar, Sagan
GvA, Dumoulin
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 1, 18 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't realize that Nibbles was starting. and speaking of Nibbles and Sagan, anyone recall that one stage of Tirreno where Sagan blasted past Nibbles on a really steep finish? Not sure if Sagan is still capable (I would think he is), but i don't think it's overly steep.

Dark horse pick is Brambilla. Dude bossed the 2016 Giro stage on the white roads. Van Aert is another dark horse pick for superior bike handling in mud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was an awesome stage. I think Purito was there too, and they basically all gave up when cresting summit and Sagan was still there. Prob the easiest sprint he's ever won.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think Wellens is riding SB.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, don't see him on any start lists. Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some obvious, some not.

Kwiatkowski, Stybar, and Oss
Gilbert and Phinney. yea, Phinney.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bold Phinney pick. But I can’t cuz he’s a Boulder dude and bad weather harshes his mellow.
I gotta go with the mudders.

Van Av, Stybar, van Aert.
Sep, Moscon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
he’s a Boulder dude and bad weather harshes his mellow.

LMAO
that was good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost everything harshes his mellow, especially if it doesn't involve denim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Bold Phinney pick. But I can’t cuz he’s a Boulder dude and bad weather harshes his mellow.
I gotta go with the mudders.

Van Av, Stybar, van Aert.
Sep, Moscon

Kwiatkowski, GvA, Gilbert
van Aert, Dumoulin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sep, Stybar, Gilbert
Greg VA, Kwiatowski
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Sep, Stybar, Gilbert
Greg VA, Kwiatowski

Sep! Would love to see it happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

It was interesting, terpstra clearly offered his wheel when attacking but Gilbert sat on and waited forcing Gaudin to counter. At the same point Gilbert is seen shaking his head looking annoyed, who knows what was going on?

I think Strada is the Sagan vs Kiwato show. Possibly Stybar as well, he clearly sat up today saving energy. I would think Valverde would do well at strada, no clue why he is not racing.

Valverde will be racing. Late addition
Quote Reply

Prev Next