Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ugh, rotten luck for Oss
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Lotto move had a brief shot.This has been a lot of hard racing. Lots of guys look gassed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't get to see any of today's race but I see that Wisniowski had another high finish. I don't know him. is he a contender?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
ugh, rotten luck for Oss

that flat killed two races at the same time :/

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he's placed high before; def a dark horse
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to CN, Gaviria crashed over a bidon before the Bosberg, and couldn't reconnect after the bike change. Then abandoned today from pain. Apparently mostly fine. But an inauspicious start his new role as classics leader in terms of durability and strongman skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...can we talk about Valverde at Abu Dhabi on this thread?

http://www.velonews.com/...abu-dhabi-win_458030

Looks like he is pretty strong already after that crash in the TdF. I don't know which one of the classics he will do later this Classics season, but will be interesting....OK answered my question:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-in-comeback-season/

He will be there for Ardennes week.
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Looks like he is pretty strong already after that crash in the TdF. I don't know which one of the classics he will do later this Classics season, but will be interesting....OK answered my question:

of course we can, but man, i can't stand Piti...
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Points have been tabulated for the weekend. Thanks again for participating. Results may be found here

Same link is provided in the first post

dsmallwood wrote:

KBK
STUYVEN, VAN AVERMAET, OSS
TERPSTRA, TRENTIN

(edit)
a nice write up here. Loop is one of my favorites. its a great replay when suffering on the trainer.
https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...d18-the-pez-preview/

damn, if it weren't for that flat, you'd have picked two of the podium positions.
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 25, 18 16:38
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did pick the podium, isn’t that worth 7?

KBK picks:
Gaviria, Groenewegen, Nizzolo
Colbrelli, Demare
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 25, 18 17:32
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I did pick the podium, isn’t that worth 8?

KBK picks:
Gaviria, Groenewegen, Nizzolo
Colbrelli, Demare

the podium bonus is in effect only when your podium picks makes it. So in your case, Goenewegen is the only one, and he earned you two points. Colbrelli and Demare are your outsider picks; each of these scores 1 point max (regardless of placing).

Had you picked Groenewegen for the win, you'd have received 4 point for that pick alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, gotcha. I don’t follow direction very well...
Quote Reply
Re: ***Spoiler Alert*** 2018 Spring Classics Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Valverde showing very good early season form, he’ll definately be a fave for Fleche Wallone
I feel bad for Tom Dumoulin, his Giant bike with Shimano electronic grouppo crapped out again.
Groenewegan looks unstoppable, he made the final sprint look easy.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Ah, gotcha. I don’t follow direction very well...

Nice pick though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for keeping score! I think the velogames league starts with MSR? Wind seemed to be a deciding factor this weekend . we also got a taste of racing without superstars like cancellara, boonen, or Sagan dictating a race. I don't think we should read too much into this week, lots of time for the big players to peak.

GVA did look like he was really suffering, might be right off a training block though. Strada will be very interesting with kiwato, stybar, and Sagan all racing well.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going to be fun watching Wout. He looked very comfy last weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was easily matching all the accelerations and attacks. He could easily make the transition like stybar. I would love to see MVDP race, he is like wout but more explosive and naturally aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Thanks for keeping score! I think the velogames league starts with MSR? Wind seemed to be a deciding factor this weekend . we also got a taste of racing without superstars like cancellara, boonen, or Sagan dictating a race. I don't think we should read too much into this week, lots of time for the big players to peak.

GVA did look like he was really suffering, might be right off a training block though. Strada will be very interesting with kiwato, stybar, and Sagan all racing well.

you are most welcome. Glad to see everyone participating.

Strade should prove to be a good test for things. Surprised that Alaphillipe isn't competing. Dude took the Maglia Rosa a few years back on a dirt hill section.

Ron_Burgundy wrote:
He was easily matching all the accelerations and attacks. He could easily make the transition like stybar. I would love to see MVDP race, he is like wout but more explosive and naturally aggressive.

correction: I confused his grandfather with Jean Stablinski. MvDP's grandfather is none other than Poulidor, famed eternal second (to Anquetil) who did win one TDF. MvDP's dad is no slouch either, having won a RvV. Bet the kid is blessed with genetics and racing guile
Last edited by: echappist: Feb 26, 18 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
I think we need to wait and see. Stybar and Lars Boom made successful transitions from cross to the road but others like Nys or De Clerq were less successful. Though I should say, whenever they showed Van Aert in the Omloop, he looked very, very smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
I think we need to wait and see. Stybar and Lars Boom made successful transitions from cross to the road but others like Nys or De Clerq were less successful. Though I should say, whenever they showed Van Aert in the Omloop, he looked very, very smooth.

Agree, Wout has to learn how to win. That will be his struggle. Cancellara was a world class TT rider who could solo away. Sagan can always wait for a sprint or drop bombs on every climb. Boonen was a sprinter at heart with a phenomenal engine. Kiwato might be the closest to an all arounder who is a successful classics rider.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Spring Classics Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

I agree, wait and see but he really looked fresh, spinning like mad, and not struggling to be there it seemed. He might really save some legs on a course like Strade, spinning up the gravel.
Last edited by: McNulty: Feb 26, 18 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going with Travis McCabe tomorrow at Le Samyn. Go UHC!
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s hope, Travis is an A-1 dude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quickstep with the 1-2, great racing today. I have a sense Gilbert was not overly happy taking second to Terpstra today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
word. its great to see Niki and Phil on their game.
I hoped Terpstra would show for KBK. I guess I peaked to early.

I am eager to see how Phil rolls through 2018; he could contend in Strade, he's defending the Ronde .... but he says he wants MSR and PR.
it must be awesome to be awesome.
Quote Reply

Prev Next