Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Undergarments"
Quote | Reply
I was just wondering if anyone wears some kind of "under garments" under their shorts or trisuit.
I'm a guy, I usually wear the under Armour super light underwear, but, those are starting to come apart.
What are you wearing ?
Quote Reply
Re: "Undergarments" [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Negative. Bad things happen with undergarments under bike shorts. I do, however, have some spandex shorts with a Gore-Tex patch on the front to protect the boys from the cold, but I only wear those running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, commando is the order of the day.

The closest I'll do is a pair of tri shorts under tights or running shorts on the really cold days. Helps keep the wedding tackle warmer.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: "Undergarments" [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I do don't "commando" well. Not gonna get into the TMI.
I need to have that extra layer.
I never get chafing or saddle sores and going to the porto doesn't seem to be a problem.
My problem is under Armour changed the consistancy and quality of their underwear. They no longer work.
I found ascis makes a great winter running underwear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:
I never get chafing or saddle sores and going to the porto doesn't seem to be a problem.
My problem is under Armour changed the consistancy and quality of their underwear. They no longer work.

For winter running, I do wear underwear (any other time of the year or activity, I don't).

I use Saxx underwear. Good quality and there is a little pocket to keep the little bits aligned and separate from the rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:

Asics makes the only truly seamless underwear around and it's great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's cold enough to wear running tights, then I wear tri shorts under them as "underwear". Other wise I am in running shorts. If riding I am in Trishorts only.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing needed but DeSoto tri shorts! I even wear them as underwear in the winter, when hiking, etc. Emilio has me hooked!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:
I was just wondering if anyone wears some kind of "under garments" under their shorts or trisuit.
I'm a guy, I usually wear the under Armour super light underwear, but, those are starting to come apart.
What are you wearing ?

Nein, nyet, no.... nothing underneath tri shorts, running shorts, jammers, bibs, etc. The chafing would be unbelievable. When I first started I refused to go commando and after dealing with all kinds of chafing I realized my issue and started doing things the right way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:

Not sure if they still make them, but Brooks used to carry an 'underbrief' that had a wind panel front. Might want to check them out.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the Bike it bike or tri shorts commando

For running only its nike compression shorts under running shorts or tights. I always cut the liners out of running shorts. I found that for me the liners caused chafing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
freeball
it's the only way

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louamerica wrote:
What are you wearing ?

which tri shorts are you wearing? if you don't have a quality tri short, it could probably be causing your issues. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mesh thong. The only way to go.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can try ruez. ruezunderwear.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few pair of the older under armor compression briefs and I have to wear one of them under my tri shorts. Maybe its just what I tried in the beginning and can't break the habit, but I like the way it feels and have no issues with chafing. This includes all of my races sprints up to multiple IMs...no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: "Undergarments" [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Louamerica wrote:
What are you wearing ?

which tri shorts are you wearing? if you don't have a quality tri short, it could probably be causing your issues. good luck!

I use 2XU, zoot, champion system, champion system full suit, even castelli and pearl Izumi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a compression short, with chamois cream between me and it, and on the seams, plus more chamois cream on the chamois on longer rides. I used to use Under Armour, but now I prefer the Skins tight. In a longer race -- 70.3+ -- I'll sometimes drop the bike shorts for a run short, which would get me a DQ if not for the compression short.

I don't find that tri shorts or bike shorts provide enough support to go commando. Without giving too much detail, that could be because I'm a middle-aged guy in a hot climate.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: "Undergarments" [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
Mesh thong. The only way to go.

ftw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Shorts with a thin chamois, nothing else on. Put them on in the AM, then wetsuit over top (or not, depending upon water temps). Go through the swim. They dry quick on the bike although I have seen folks slather on butt cream in T1, I don't seem to need it at this point. Then through T2 and leave them on till the end.

I have a favorite pair of Tri shorts that I use in the above fashion for my races only. For normal runs I'll use running shorts with the insert but they have to fit snug and for all my rides I use normal riding shorts (bibs), with no undergarments.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Commando is the majority i believe, its just so much more comfortable
Can't imagine wearing another layer with all that sweating we go through esp in long bike rides
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea why you'd be less comfortable going Commando, unless you just have crappy Tri and/or bike shorts?
They are designed expressly to be worn that way.
And are by probably 99% of all users.

Less stuff moving around and/or bunching up down there is always better than more.

If you've got chafing issues, then Body Glide or DZ Nuts or Assos, etc is your friend.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike shorts/bibs and tri shorts/suits are designed to be worn against your skin.

For any control or modesty issues, various brands have cuts that provide more support and/or are lined for opacity.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: "Undergarments" [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My new Kiwami Tri Suit came with a pair of totally seamless "boy shorts" made out of some thin slightly stretchy material. I don't think I'd ever need them and I'm not sure what their designed purpose is anyway; modesty while changing or worn as underwear? I'm quite comfy going commando in the tri suit so that's that.

I do look smashing in them, such a pity I won't get an opportunity to wear them...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply