Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Ummmm, sorry sir"
Quote | Reply
So, second time this year I've had my bike lost by an airline. I flew out of san diego last night into orlando early this morning. Airtran managed to lose my bike. And I didn't even have a connecting flight. Apparently they said they didn't have room for my bike on the plane. So, its supposed to be here this afternoon. I am not holding my breathe.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [couchweight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude,I feel for you. The past 3 days,I've been driving my girlfriend back and fourth to Kennedy airport,because the airline has screwed up big time(dont want to get into it). I'm sick and tired of these airlines being so irresponsible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to let you know - I've had my bike lost twice (and the cardboard box cut open, and left that way with no tape to close it again) - and both times I had it back by the following afternoon. This was flying United to London once, and I can't remember the other airline / luggage carrier, but it was also to London. It actually saved me tying the box to the roof rack, although it did mean I ended up waiting around for ages whilst wondering why it wasn't appearing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap! Have you ever tried shipping UPS or something similar?

"thoughts become things, choose the good ones"
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [james406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not too worried about the box being damaged. Its a hard plastic safaris case. I had planned on riding with some old friends here in Florida today that I haven't seen for a while. That and I get nervous that the bike and wheels are around $6k to replace when the airlines insure it for no where near that much. United lost it earlier this year coming back from Mexico. They told me that it had been checked in late, even though it was rechecked after I went threw customs. It ended up showing up about 5 days later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, thats my biggest fear this year travelling to races this year. I'm starting to think it may be best to ship the bike to a LBS at the race, but still...
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [Steve2z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I get really nervous. Coming back from Mexico, I had a my slice six13 with a set of 999 tubulars and all my gear. Took 5 days to show up. This time I have a LOOK 486 and a set of 404's in the case. Needless to say, I am a bit on edge right now.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [Steve2z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have since vaguely changed my tactics. I fly quite frequently with my bike - around 25 flights last year probably, to the US, Australia and Italy from the UK. After the incident where the (carboard) box was opened and left that way (it was a long bike box, and they cut it open down the side, not along the top), I got a fresh bike box, and cut it down in size to be as small as possbile. I reinforced all the holes to carry it by, and I applied a vast amount of bright red tape along all the edges I didn't want them to open it by, and didn't actually tape the top closed. Instead, I used three luggage straps to secure it. Results so far - 2 flights, opened by security both times, no problems.

For further info, every single flight I've been on to / from the US has involved it being FSA checked, so it is very likely to be opened.
Last edited by: james406: Dec 24, 07 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I had planned on riding with some old friends here in Florida today that I haven't seen for a while.
Is there any other kind? Hope your bike shows up quickly. In the meantime, you could lobby for higher standards and higher pay for airline workers...(that would be me).
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. Your right on that one. To be honest, I don't understand how airlines stay in business. The numbers just don't make sense to me. Even if everyone is under paid, things still don't add up to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most airlines have these orange "priority" tags that they put on bags of folks that fly a lot. The tag ensures that bags aren't bumped off a plane. Maybe next time, you could ask them to put a "priority" tag on your bike case.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Most airlines have these orange "priority" tags that they put on bags of folks that fly a lot. The tag ensures that bags aren't bumped off a plane. Maybe next time, you could ask them to put a "priority" tag on your bike case.
If only that worked.

Flying from ORD to SEA for Grand Columbian this year on United they did just that. Direct flight. I have FF status, plus I burned some miles to upgrade. Got the little orange sticker on the luggage tag. Standing around SeaTac waiting when I hear "Passenger Parker, please see a baggage representative" on the intercom. Turns out United decided my bike box didn't need to take the same flight as me, so they bumped it to a later flight.

What pissed me off even more was when I came back later in the day to pick it up and it's just sitting there, unsecured, nobody watching it. And as I walked over to it and lugged it out, nobody ever once asked to see my claim ticket. Yay for security and "special handling". :(

Fortunately, as services like Tribiketransport and Bikesherpa pick up business and add races, I'm having to fly with my bike less and less.

--
I ride Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [james406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just to let you know - I've had my bike lost twice (and the cardboard box cut open, and left that way with no tape to close it again) - and both times I had it back by the following afternoon. This was flying United to London once, and I can't remember the other airline / luggage carrier, but it was also to London. It actually saved me tying the box to the roof rack, although it did mean I ended up waiting around for ages whilst wondering why it wasn't appearing.
now you are making me nervous... I am flying to london tomorrow christmas day, hopefully everything arrive safe!

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange that it missed going out. I have stuff lost with my body flying into SNA and my luggage going to SAN. Who the fug decided to give those two airports simple transpositions to distinguish the airport code? At least they aren't a continent apart!
Quote Reply
Re: "Ummmm, sorry sir" [efahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Strange that it missed going out. I have stuff lost with my body flying into SNA and my luggage going to SAN. Who the fug decided to give those two airports simple transpositions to distinguish the airport code? At least they aren't a continent apart!
OT, but once we had a travel agent book a whole group of people on a flight to Portland, Maine instead of Portland, Oregon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eee. I like to use Fedex to ship it, ground. (more because I'm...frugal...) sure it takes a few days, but they are so much more reliable.

Jocelyn

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've flown about 14 times last year with my bike and twice out of the 14 it came out of the luggage area and not the over sized area.

The worst bit was the second time it happened someone kindly took it off for me but I was still waiting at the over sized for it and my other half hadn't seen it come out. I was convinced it was lost. Then my friend spotted it.

Touch wood I've never got it broken and I use a soft bag.
Quote Reply