Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise"
Quote | Reply
http://www.cbsnews.com/...xercise-study-finds/

"We already know that a sedentary lifestyle isn't good for our health, but can we measure just how bad it really is for us? A new study offers an answer: two hours of sitting cancels out the benefits of 20 minutes of exercise for our cardiorespiratory fitness levels."

Who sponsored this study? These guys?
http://www.treaddesk.com
Last edited by: Swanson234: Jul 8, 14 15:29
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure they got the calories burned sitting, calories burned while trotting or walking on a treadmill, divided latter with the former, got a number 6 or so, and then turned it into that headline. Because 1 hour of sitting cancelling 10 minutes of exercise isn't sensationalist enough. Even the biggest couch potato knows 10 minutes isn't enough. 3 hour sitting cancelling 30 minutes of exercise is no good either. That seems like too much sitting so no wonder it's unhealthy.

See how that works?
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

"We already know that a sedentary lifestyle isn't good for our health, but can we measure just how bad it really is for us? A new study offers an answer: two hours of sitting cancels out the benefits of 20 minutes of exercise for our cardiorespiratory fitness levels."

"The data Berry and his team reviewed came from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), an ongoing series of health studies maintained by the Centers for Disease Control."

They didn't do their own study. They reviewed other studies, and extrapolated. And the 2 hours thing I think is made up, as Time reporting on the same study says an hour of exercise makes up for a day of sitting.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's actually very clever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A new thread every day cancels 2 weeks of exercise.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try exercising for 10 minutes every hour, 5 minutes even. I bet you get fitter.

edit: Mind you, define "exercise". Without having read the article, I am wondering if they think that anything other than sitting counts as exercise?
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Jul 8, 14 18:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this were true I'd be screwed because I travel on a plane or a rental car several times/week and each instance involves several hours of sitting. I refuse to believe this because I might just have to give up, drink a lot more, get a big gut and be done with the whole charade!
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:

At that rate, the OP is more detrained than a veal cutlet right about now.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:

Seems off to me. I sit on my fat ass at least 8 hours a day. I'm so bad at holding down the gravity defying couch that the dog has to help me. Over the last 15 years, I've dropped about 65 lbs. Other than the year my wife was sick, I've kept it off. For the last 4 years, I've averaged just under 1:40 on my bike every day. Went 57:33 in a 40k 3 weeks ago. Rode under my age of 58. While this may be n=1. I'm pretty sure there's nothing special about me.
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Swanson234 wrote:

Seems off to me. I sit on my fat ass at least 8 hours a day. I'm so bad at holding down the gravity defying couch that the dog has to help me. Over the last 15 years, I've dropped about 65 lbs. Other than the year my wife was sick, I've kept it off. For the last 4 years, I've averaged just under 1:40 on my bike every day. Went 57:33 in a 40k 3 weeks ago. Rode under my age of 58. While this may be n=1. I'm pretty sure there's nothing special about me.

Agreed. I sit in my office 8-10 hours a day as recovery from the 1-2 hours of daily training (and I am a hell of a lot slower than you on the bike). :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I ride my bike for two hours, I'm also sitting for two hours. How does that equation work?
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
When I ride my bike for two hours, I'm also sitting for two hours. How does that equation work?

I often wonder about this as well.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:

At that rate, the OP is more detrained than a veal cutlet right about now.

Wow don't rage against me. I didn't design the study, and the creation of this thread is not the reason your ass is growing 1mm a day at your soulless office job. Blame your boss and go on strike until they buy everybody tread desks, but do not blame me!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone's sensitive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I run two hours a day and then sit down for two hours at night having dinner watching telly and sit at work all day, I will gain no fitness and I would have been better of standing for two hours and doing no running.

Hmm for my next IM I think I will take all the running out and just make sure I don't sit down
Last edited by: Stevie G: Jul 8, 14 23:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is more and more research coming up regarding the dangers of sitting. It makes proper sense, astronauts coming back from space are severely atrophied even though they work out every day. In a way, couches and chairs are our anti-gravity chambers.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, one hell of a bike time!!!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do I need to get ride of my seat and only ride out of te saddle.... and otherwise stand all day. Standing all work most of the day has always allowed me to recover so well. I feel great after walking around a expo and packet pick-up for 3 hours. I race awesome that way.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:

If this is true, please change your screen name immediately since you are nothing like it. I believe Surfing Lamb is now available as is Finman.
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tejanatab wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:

I often wonder about this as well.
I assume the 2 hours sitting cancels 20 minutes of the 2 hours of exercise, so it's as if you had only exercised for 1:40.

It's pretty dumb, IMO. If your "exercise" consists of ambling on foot along at a snail's pace, then surely that isn't better than riding your bike with high intensity for the same period of time?

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does 20 minutes in the Triathlon Forum cancel two hours in the Lavender Room?

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just think about what 8 hours sleeping must do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I think is funny is they could have made this the heading: "20 minutes of exercise cancels two hours of sitting" and it would have gotten the opposite response.
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of changing it to OldFatandSlow. I keep it as a reminder. At 42, I weighed 242, was buying size 42 khaki's and my cholesterol was 242, too. Lots of 42s in there for those of you that read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe". Got back on the bike. Still eat way too damn much, can't run around the block and swim like a rock. But, I love riding my bike. btw 57:33 was only good for 7th out of 21 in the 55-64 age group at Church Creek. Just a marginal Cat 4. 178 today. AP at CC was 277, np was 278.
Quote Reply
Re: "Two hours of sitting cancels 20 minutes of exercise" [mshawgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"We already know that a sedentary lifestyle isn't good for our health, but can we measure just how bad it really is for us? A new study offers an answer: two hours of sitting cancels out the benefits of 20 minutes of exercise for our cardiorespiratory fitness levels.

The study, published online July 8 in Mayo Clinic Proceedings, found that prolonged sitting affected people's fitness levels regardless of whether they exercised or not.

"Previous studies have reported that sedentary behavior was associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular outcomes; however, the mechanisms through which this occurs are not completely understood," study author Dr. Jarett Berry, an assistant professor of internal medicine and clinical science at UT Southwestern, said in a statement. "Our data suggest that sedentary behavior may increase risk through an impact on lower fitness levels, and that avoiding sedentary behavior throughout the day may represent an important companion strategy to improve fitness and health, outside of regular exercise activity."

Play VIDEO
Is sitting the new smoking?
The researchers examined the cardiorespiratory fitness levels, average daily exercise and sedentary behavior in 2,233 people ages 12 to 49 without a history of heart disease, asthma or stroke.

Their findings come on top of previous research that has also shown the negative impact of sedentary behavior on health, including the risk of obesity, heart attack, cancer and even premature death.

But there is also some good news for all those who have to spend long hours sitting on a daily basis.

"We also found that when sitting for prolonged periods of time, any movement is good movement, and was also associated with better fitness," Dr. Jacquelyn Kulinski, a recent graduate from the UT Southwestern Cardiology Fellowship Training Program, said in a statement. "So if you are stuck at your desk for a while, shift positions frequently, get up and stretch in the middle of a thought, pace while on a phone call, or even fidget."

And there are other strategies that people can implement to reduce the impact of prolonged sitting on health. The researchers recommended taking short walks during lunch and throughout the day, using a pedometer to track daily steps, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, hosting walking meetings at work and replacing a standard desk chair with a fitness ball or a tread desk."

It says 20 minutes of CARDIORESPIRATORY fitness

It assumes 2 hours of straight sitting. No movement.

It doesn't say if it's 20 minutes of lifetime cardio fitness lost or your current day's/weeks workouts.

It doesn't say if it caps out at 20 minutes or not. What if you sit for 6 hours straight? One hour straight sitting? Is there a linear relationship?

What about laying down? Leaning? Napping?

Rich yuppie's everywhere will be buying tread desks now lol. Us poorer folk standing desks.
Last edited by: Swanson234: Jul 25, 14 11:31
Quote Reply