Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Tri at the Trump" was cancelled because of lack of participation.
Quote | Reply
The "Tri at the Trump" sprint in Charlotte, NC was cancelled Saturday. The organizer said sign-ups were down this year due to concerns over the name. Now the web site "triatthetrump.com" redirects to "triforgoodlkn.com" and doesn't say much more than "Returning Fall of 2018". It's not a big deal, but it is interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: "Tri at the Trump" was cancelled because of lack of participation. [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This event was going to be an conference race for the mid-atlantic collegiate conference. One thing about college students, they sign up *late* (and usually hope for a discount code). I don't know how many had actually signed up at the time of cancellation.

I had heard this was going to be sorta unique in that the finish was going to end on the 18th green or there about.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: "Tri at the Trump" was cancelled because of lack of participation. [xpda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh oh...DJRed is going to be mad!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "Tri at the Trump" sprint in Charlotte, NC was cancelled Saturday. The organizer said sign-ups were down this year due to concerns over the name. Now the web site "triatthetrump.com" redirects to "triforgoodlkn.com" and doesn't say much more than "Returning Fall of 2018". It's not a big deal, but it is interesting.

This is more Lavendar Room fair, and Trump voters/supporters will of course NOT see it this way at all, but Trump's name/brand, has become extraordinarily polarized, with NO middle of the road. Put Trump's name on something and many people with think it great, but for many others, it's a negative.

Yes he won the election (fairly, we hope), and the democratic process needs to be respected, but as noted above, Trump's name for many both inside and outside the US, has become a real negative, and has had a dramatic impact on things at the micro and macro levels. I've had a number of friends who have deferred, and passed on trips to the US "Because of Trump" (micro anecdotal information), I've also heard that foreign inbound travel to the U.S. is down significantly this year (macro detailed info), "Because of Trump".

Trump supporters/voters, will wave the above off and say it's all rubbish or Fake News.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: "Tri at the Trump" was cancelled because of lack of participation. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm local and didn't do the event last year but did the year before. It was very well organized and quality race. There's a lot of good racing in this area but I'd def list that at or near the top of events I've done. I was planning on doing it again this year until it was cancelled.

I'm not 100% on this but from reading online materials, it seemed that it was never a Trump-sponsored event but since it started/ended at the Trump Golf Course, it was part of the event name. I've seen a lot of postings come through on Facebook but can't really tell what drove the cancellation but it looks like they will regroup and try to be back in 2018. Unless there was any funny business going on, it looked like a main focus of the event was to collect and donate money to kids cancer research and care. Regardless of what I think about the political stuff, I'm all for the donation aspect of events and hate to see that go away this year.
Quote Reply
Re: "Tri at the Trump" was cancelled because of lack of participation. [miketri7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The organizer apparently told the Washington Post that they cancelled because the Trump name caused a low number of sign-ups.

"On Saturday, the latest cancellation: A triathlon for charity at Trump’s Charlotte golf course, called 'Tri at the Trump,' was abruptly scrapped. Sign-ups were down this year, the organizer said, due to concerns over the name." Whether or not it's a majority, if a sizeable percentage of the racers is alienated because of the name, the turnout will drop significantly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...7ee4035c9_story.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Make Triathlon Great Again"

I'm a local, and I can tell you that the "Trump" name likely didn't have anything to do with low participation numbers. The whole stinkin' neighborhood is called "Trump" after he bought the golf course a few years ago. So, "Tri at the Trump" is a pretty fitting name for the event.

It's a race super late in the season, there are lots of other competing events (especially Ironman 70.3), and local triathlon has been on the decline for nearly 10 years. This race, though arguably marred by its namesake, is actually a great event. I'm glad they chose to rename it and keep it around for 2018.
Quote Reply