Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Training Race" is an oxymoron
Quote | Reply
Short rant.

I despise the term "training race".

You are either training or you are racing.

Calling something a "training race" is a built-in excuse for your performance, and develops a poor mindset: "I can go easy in a RACE".

If you enter a "B" race tired from a big training block, RACE IT, accept the result for what it is, and don't rationalize your performance.

Don't make excuses a bad habit that you bring to your "A" races.

As Wayne Dyer says... Excuses Begone!
Quote Reply
Re: "Training Race" is an oxymoron [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This is where you are wrong...If you go out with dan or i, you are either in a training race, or you are racing. ANd we have about a 100 course records to prove it, including age and sex graded... We think people that train are pussies. Every day i get in the pool with my group, it is a definate race for me, whether I get a heat ribbon or not...(-;

PS; the hardest part is trying to figure out how to taper for these everyday training races..
Last edited by: monty: Dec 17, 10 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: "Training Race" is an oxymoron [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...
Every "training" ride i go on with my buddy is a race.

Quote | Reply
If I ever make it to the ST "offices" for a "training" session, I'm bringing race wheels and tapering. :-)

An addition to my post... training is defined as "race practice".
So I guess technically every race is training for the next race.
It's the rationalization of going easy because it's a "training race" that gets me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the rationalization of going easy because it's a "training race" that gets me.
---------------------------
This I can agree with. IF I'm going to a race, I do not train through it. I entered the race for a reason, to race. And in order to race, I cannot have done a hard 4 hour workout the day before. I raced a lot, so i figured out how to do a great mini taper, so as not to lose fitness by doing big tapers every week. I dont really care if folks want to train through races, just do not tell me about it, or mail in your poor performance before the race has even happened. IF you show up and I'm there, you will get my best effort, and any excuses will come after the race, because I won't have a built in one before the race..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this a "training post" or is this all you got?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

This is where you are wrong...If you go out with dan or i, you are either in a training race, or you are racing. ANd we have about a 100 course records to prove it, including age and sex graded... We think people that train are pussies. Every day i get in the pool with my group, it is a definate race for me, whether I get a heat ribbon or not...(-;

PS; the hardest part is trying to figure out how to taper for these everyday training races..

if you live around delaware, i want to train with you. i am the same exact way!

I hate when I go to a race and someone says before the races even starts, "I am just hear for fun. I rode 120 miles yesterday and swam 45,00 yards this week. I am not expecting much today!" And then I jump in and say, "You are pu$$y so stop making excuses before the race even started. I got up this morning at 3:30 and came hear to race and all I can hear is your sorry sack of $hit complaining already. Shut the F up. If you are not going race hard, leave. I only want to beat people that I worked harder then. You OBVIOUSLY worked harder then me this week so shut up and win. I hate racing against some who doesn't care. SHUT UP AND RACE because you paid $200 dollars or even more to be hear on your $10,000. bike!"

I am done ranting. Blood pressure is back up!
Quote Reply
Re: "Training Race" is an oxymoron [Tri or Die] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just responding to your post just for fun. I responded to a post earlier today and have answered twelve posts this week so I'm not expecting much from this reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think this is really to you point, as I plan to go as hard as I can for every race I will race this year.

However, to me my only races are my "A" races. I will race 2-3 small races for every A race I do, but they are just training days. I'm still going as hard as I can and gunning for the podium if it's within reach. Still, the purpose of these races is not to win or even to do well. They're there to practice transitioning, rediscover my physical and mental limits, test out changes in my nutrition protocol during racing intensities, etc. Most importantly, they give me a good gauge of my fitness and help me figure out where the gaps are. If I have a workout to do the next day, it is NOT a race; it's training.

For it to be a true race and not a "training race," I need to have a considerable amount vested in the outcome of the race. I'm training for 2 Ironmans in 2011. What f*cking difference does it make if I'm marginally faster over the Sprint distance? "Training races," while still all-out affairs, are just workouts. My year does not live or die by results attained during "B" races.

2014: 40k TT focus

Race reports at http://tripikapp.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: "Training Race" is an oxymoron [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LOL...
Every "training" ride i go on with my buddy is a race.

Agreed - All out - All the time.
Quote Reply
Re: "Training Race" is an oxymoron [pat.allen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you got it.

The whole "A", "B" race terminology makes me cringe... it's so.... FRIEL....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm sorry but my world has shades of grey between the two and you must accept this before we can have beers together.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

yes, you are only allowed to actually SAY that, IF you win.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: "Training Race" is an oxymoron [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

yes, you are only allowed to actually SAY that, IF you win.

I'll allow that. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enter lots of races with zero intention of racing them....or just for fun. They can be very social....look at it this way, when a bunch of lululemon girls ask you to run a 10k with them, you don't turn them down.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team