Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands....
Quote | Reply
this might be a Lavender rant, but why must the "Betty Design" race brand promote their stuff using slogans like "Do Epic Shit" and or use "Bad Ass" 100 ways in giant letters across a t-shirt??? Yes we all know triathletes are a special kind of crazy, but do we have to wear this stuff for our own smugness and at the expense of younger ones? I've twice been at races and had to somehow explain away why a lady is wearing swear words across her chest...... Or am I the only stick in the mud that teaches kids they shouldn't be saying these things until your teacher lets you say it???
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a local company (in Montreal) that started a nice line for women. It seems to be catching on here

https://bravatriathlon.ca/pages/lookbook
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
this might be a Lavender rant, but why must the "Betty Design" race brand promote their stuff using slogans like "Do Epic Shit" and or use "Bad Ass" 100 ways in giant letters across a t-shirt??? Yes we all know triathletes are a special kind of crazy, but do we have to wear this stuff for our own smugness and at the expense of younger ones? I've twice been at races and had to somehow explain away why a lady is wearing swear words across her chest...... Or am I the only stick in the mud that teaches kids they shouldn't be saying these things until your teacher lets you say it???

I don't get why they have restricted their kit to women only. They easily have the best looking tri-suits out there with some cool designs, strange business model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No we don't have to wear this stuff and no you are not the only stick in the mud. You might feel like a voice crying in the wilderness but I say keep it up.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on! Thanks for the tip.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. I know the chick who runs the Dixie Devil brand - she also is in love with pasting "Do Epic Shit" all over her designs. No idea why - she is actually a pretty standard issue suburban mom.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I teach my kids that swear words exist, but they aren't allowed to use them. I don't feel I need to "hide" them from them. I want them to recognize them when they see/hear them. But they are restricted to use them. On that front, I don't care if people wear this stuff. I'D WEAR IT, and not think twice about the children that see/read it. Their parents do the parenting. If explaining a bad word has to be done a few times, maybe your kid is slow. How hard is it to say "it's a bad word"? Or if your kid is old enough to read, you shouldn't have to explain it.

Are swear words really that scary??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we really hurting "younger ones"?
Won't someone think of the children?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I curse like a sailor on the good days but I won't wear it across my body. And I'm not even thinking of the kids (my kiddo is 20 yo). I just think it is kind of trashy. But, to each his (her) own. You can live in a bubble or deal with the world around you. Honestly, I prefer the bubble but it is super boring in there.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine it is their way of feeling cool and edgy. If you have to wear it or say it, you are not doing "Epic Shit" or being a "Bad Ass" and you are not cool or edgy.

Hey check me out, this is going to be Bad Ass....I am going to ride my bike for a really long time! Epic.
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I curse like a sailor on the good days but I won't wear it across my body. And I'm not even thinking of the kids (my kiddo is 20 yo). I just think it is kind of trashy. But, to each his (her) own. You can live in a bubble or deal with the world around you. Honestly, I prefer the bubble but it is super boring in there.

I think you just hit the nail on the head - I do think there are some really nice, colorful ladies' try kits out there that can cure the boredom factor, but don't include trashy/offensive language.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:

No, you are definitely not alone in not wishing to promote vulgarity and trashy exhibitions. If a female showed up at Life Time Athletic for a spin class in that attire, she would be told that her choices are to turn the jersey inside out or leave.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
certain brands target this niche of customers who want to live "epic" lives and consider themselves "bada**." pair that w/social media to give them affirmation, you got a successful formula similar to harley-davidson except that the audience is much younger now w/many becoming brand ambassadors marketing these products on their own dime. everyone is free to choose to fall in line with this crowd or not.
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [navybean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
navybean wrote:
certain brands target this niche of customers who want to live "epic" lives and consider themselves "bada**." pair that w/social media to give them affirmation, you got a successful formula similar to harley-davidson except that the audience is much younger now w/many becoming brand ambassadors marketing these products on their own dime. everyone is free to choose to fall in line with this crowd or not.

Funny you mention Harley, I almost did in my post. A few years ago I was waiting to check out at a convenient store. There was a lady in front of me (husband outside on Harley). She was decked out in bandanas and Harley gear. She was interrogating the clerk on what kind of cigarettes she should be buy, because she has never smoked. This lady was in her late 30's/early 40's. The guy was looking at her like she was crazy. She kept asking questions like "does that one taste ok?" "Are those less harmful than these?" I don't know why I let it get under my skin, but it has bugged me to this day. I guess she was just wanting to complete her Harley costume with some smokes. Bad Ass, Epic Shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Betty Designs=Wattie Ink=Ed Hardy=Harley Davidson=Wannabe Poser Styles
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Ha. I know the chick who runs the Dixie Devil brand - she also is in love with pasting "Do Epic Shit" all over her designs. No idea why - she is actually a pretty standard issue suburban mom.
I think Meredith's designs are pretty cool - it's more feminine yet badass without looking like Nascar or a like a box of crayons (Smash). I hope she does well. BTW she qualified for 70.3 World Championship a few weeks ago so not too shabby...
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [mwanner1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner1 wrote:
Betty Designs=Wattie Ink=Ed Hardy=Harley Davidson=Wannabe Poser Styles

^this..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some of the people who buy/wear this stuff do it as a self-incentive (gotta live up to my slogan). Which means they're not all that solid to start with.

Which tends to undercut everyone else, even any actual hardasses, that wear them.
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention that she's run a 2:59 marathon and is totally hot.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A former college swim teammate wears Betty kit, and has posted often about it on FB, with hashtags for Twitter. She was even in the team photo shoots and training camp, which were posted about, as well. Lots of talk about a tight-knot group of women, lots of support, team atmosphere, etc.

I guess I'm neutral about this kind of thing. On one hand, this line of kit and the mottoes may inspire people, and bring them together for support and friendship. It's a positive that they are taking up triathlon, paying the money for entry fees (which helps support the races, and in turn, more opportunities for healthy living, etc), and getting into a team setting with a sense of belonging that some may have never had before. Many women have strong reservations about doing this kind of thing, whether bc of (self-perceived) body issues, or a lack of opportunity before, and so this kind of thing can be quite helpful. If they get a sense of style from wearing the kit, good for them also.

OTOH, this kind of thing is completely antithetical to who I am and why I do things. Firstly, I'm a fierce individualist, and really almost cannot stand people cheering me on, in a race or in a training group ("You're almost done!"). I'd have a tough time with that kind of cheering on and that kind of team atmosphere (perhaps why I wasn't a team captain). Also, I'm very intrinsically motivated, and don't need any kind of public display to motivate me, so I think it's tacky when I see others doing it. I definitely don't try to draw attention to myself, so I wear plain kit and ride an understated bike (aluminum Cervelo, worthy of my 5:50+ bike splits). I'm a cheapskate. I internally judge those who wear tutus and running skirts, thinking there is no way they respect or take this seriously enough, NTM how they draw attention to themselves. I don't have an IM tattoo ("Oh! Do you do ironmans??" "Yes, I do!"). I still wear the same ratty 2008 IM Loo finisher hat when I run, even though I have two more recent ones. I honestly am not sure where my finisher medals are, and I don't talk about those. I know who I am, what I have done, and I don't need everyone to know, and I think it's tacky to be so demonstrative.

So, these two currents cancel each other out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Betty Designs stuff - it's kind of cool to see badass women's only products and if a slogan like "Do Epic Shit" is what it takes to get you out the door and to do the distance, then clearly, they're on to something. In the tedium of the long runs in 70.3s and 140.6's I enjoy seeing clever/funny/inspirational stuff on folks' kits. My favorite of late was the really hilarious kit of a (I think) Houston based tri team called Hot Mess Tri Club...hard to describe, but essentially looked like a collision of polka dots, hot pink/hot blue stuff, and leopard skin. Given that I was turning into a hot mess that day, seeing a bunch of those kits put a smile on my face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem with clothing having curse words on it. It's your job to teach your children right from wrong.

But I definitely don't get the do epic shit and badassery clothing line. Count me as one that says if you're wearing that stuff you're almost assuredly not doing epic shit or badass. Most likely you have an instagram hobby and you use triathlon as an excuse to take pictures of yourself everyday. But hey, as long as it makes you happy then right on I guess!
Quote Reply
Re: "Betty" race clothing and whatever other brands.... [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
A former college swim teammate wears Betty kit, and has posted often about it on FB, with hashtags for Twitter. She was even in the team photo shoots and training camp, which were posted about, as well. Lots of talk about a tight-knot group of women, lots of support, team atmosphere, etc.

I guess I'm neutral about this kind of thing. On one hand, this line of kit and the mottoes may inspire people, and bring them together for support and friendship. It's a positive that they are taking up triathlon, paying the money for entry fees (which helps support the races, and in turn, more opportunities for healthy living, etc), and getting into a team setting with a sense of belonging that some may have never had before. Many women have strong reservations about doing this kind of thing, whether bc of (self-perceived) body issues, or a lack of opportunity before, and so this kind of thing can be quite helpful. If they get a sense of style from wearing the kit, good for them also.

OTOH, this kind of thing is completely antithetical to who I am and why I do things. Firstly, I'm a fierce individualist, and really almost cannot stand people cheering me on, in a race or in a training group ("You're almost done!"). I'd have a tough time with that kind of cheering on and that kind of team atmosphere (perhaps why I wasn't a team captain). Also, I'm very intrinsically motivated, and don't need any kind of public display to motivate me, so I think it's tacky when I see others doing it. I definitely don't try to draw attention to myself, so I wear plain kit and ride an understated bike (aluminum Cervelo, worthy of my 5:50+ bike splits). I'm a cheapskate. I internally judge those who wear tutus and running skirts, thinking there is no way they respect or take this seriously enough, NTM how they draw attention to themselves. I don't have an IM tattoo ("Oh! Do you do ironmans??" "Yes, I do!"). I still wear the same ratty 2008 IM Loo finisher hat when I run, even though I have two more recent ones. I honestly am not sure where my finisher medals are, and I don't talk about those. I know who I am, what I have done, and I don't need everyone to know, and I think it's tacky to be so demonstrative.

So, these two currents cancel each other out.

I'm actually completely agree with you on inspiring people and if their outfit or race kit connects them to a team, club, or group. And even more if it gets them to achieve goals, stay on their fitness, or just be motivated. Case in point for me: Wattie Ink. I am amazed at how this has taken over on a ton of race outfits I'm seeing....and it also seemed to inspire camaraderie. But their main slogans "rock the w" and "live free or die" are hardly vulgar and I don't find them at all offensive. I AM annoyed with the slogans crossing the line on vulgarity ("do epic shit")...and for what??? It's kind of interesting how this is cropping up only in the women's clothing, not men's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't please everybody, if it offends you it's unfortunate but we live in a free world and people can wear whatever they want! The Betty design kits are amazing and fun! As a women myself I remember looking to buy my first tri kit and they were all black and ugly. Now there's more option (Betty designs, Soas, Smash, Coeur) and if it pleases us ladies then it's awesome because triathlon needs more women!
Quote Reply

Prev Next