Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx
Quote | Reply
..of course, I should tell her I don't want to...
but I was Rxd a small dose of Seroquel for sleep...I fall asleep no problem, but tend to wake up at 3am, usually back to sleep, sometimes not.
I REALLY do not want to take this from what I read about it. I'd rather go on as I am without taking it. She said take it "if I feel I need it" but she asks so many questions...
will she know if I do not fill it? money is tight, insurance not great, I'd rather not take it.

Anyone have experience with this? thnx
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. She will never know. But you should also tell her next time you see her about your concerns.

I'm a big ambien fan. Use it when I'm working nights (I'm a morning person so sleeping during the day is not natural at all)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks-nervous about taking seroquel, even a small amount for sleep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like overkill for sleep.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you nervous about taking Seroquel for sleep? Because it's an anti-pyschotic? It doesn't function as an AP at that low of a dose (generally around 600mg you start to notice anti-psychotic effects). At 25mg, it's really no different than any other sleep aid out there, other than the stigma it has attached to it. 25mg is a baby dose.

If money is tight, you could also try for the generic, unless patents last longer in the US and it's not available as quetiapine fumerate yet. Generics are much cheaper.

Are you taking your other meds/doing therapy?

Proper sleep hygiene is going to be of huge benefit to your mental health, so I would take that seriously.

I'm coming at this from a different perspective, b/c I was involuntarily hospitalized last week, but really - don't screw around with your mental health. I know how close you to going in yourself before, and you really don't want that. Psych wards, for whatever improvements/changes they have made, are not regular hospital wards. Plus, if you are bad enough, you could be held there against your will.

I hate Seroquel's metabolic side effects, and I could do without the sedation, but it's still a good med for many people. You have to decide what your priorities are and what your hangups are and whether they're worth hanging onto and passing by a shot at stability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Ambien too. I take 5 mg or less when I wake up in the middle of the night. It gets me back to sleep until 6 or 7.
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone and thanks Teags---going to PM you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half or 1 benadryl can work charms as well.
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [hp72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey and that will help with the poison ivy too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband had BIG troubles with falling asleep and staying asleep. We didn't have insurance at that time and wanted a more natural way of dealing with it.

Have you heard of melatonin therapy?
http://psychcentral.com/...a-greener-sleep-aid/

We found organic tart cherry juice to work the best. He drank 1 6-8oz glass 30 min before bed and he had a restful night's sleep. It didn't last long term, but I think after about 6-8 weeks his body started producing enough melatonin or his sleep cycles got more regular or seasons changed or whatever the case may be he was able to sleep through the night on his own again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends if your physician has EMR sometimes they can tell if an RX was filled.
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [Fegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: sleep - I've heard valerian is a good sleep supplement too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [fembeast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is EMR?

anyway, I am seeing her again for the 3rd time on Thursday and I am already anxious about it--the last time I almost got up and left during the appt-- but then she'd chalk that up to me being "impulsive" whatever. I think since she makes me this uncomfortable, that I am worried she will know I did not get the seroquel, this is not a good sign....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Electronic medical records. The program in my office has a feature called DUR (drug utilization review) which if I want to I can check when a patient last filled and where they filled their RX. Now this is information I have to look for it is not automatically provided (have to click the DUR box). In any event I think you need to talk to your doctor if you don't want to be on a prescription she/he wrote for you. If you feel uncomfortable talking to your doctor about this you may need a different doctor. Doctors like to have their patients be honest and upfront with them it makes their job of taking care of you much easier. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thnx-was thinking I need to do so, and if I don't feel comfortable I will find another.
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too! Big big Ambien fan... I can take 1/4 of a pill and I am zonked the whole night with no hangover the next morning.... love the stuff when I need it. Otherwise I usually just take a half of a Benedryl... knocks me out and again no hangover.

I am an avid cyclist who is also the co-owner and buyer for Low Country Multisport a performance specific F.I.S.T. certified fit studio and repair shop in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina. And, I just happen to be married to a retired Marine who is completely addicted to the iron distance. "lord help my wallet!!"
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [lilbluebirds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no will never know
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You could tell your Dr you had it filled at a pharmacy you've never been too before (had no other records) and not filed on your insurance.
Quote Reply
Re: will my Dr know if I DON'T fill an Rx [TriElvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't a big deal-told her I didn't need to take it, she didn't ask if I filled it! it was supposed to be on an as needed basis.

What I think kinda funny/weird as my last Dr said-well if you wake up at 3am every day-go to bed at 9am so you get 6 hours sleep!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fembeast wrote:
It depends if your physician has EMR sometimes they can tell if an RX was filled.

It actually depends if:
1 - There is a centralized DIS (Drug Information System) and that the EMR is connected to it..
2 - The EMR as a proprietary interface to the pharmacies..

In 95% of the case, no, the doctor will not know.

However, you should tell your doctor that you are not taking it because this drug will be marked as "active" and might impact future medical decision such as drug to drug or drug to allergy interaction.
Quote Reply