Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

what to wear to race half-iron's
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I need to order something to race in for this season. My main focus is half-iron's (doing 5 of them) with a few olympics and sprints mixed in. I am trying to go pro so speed is a priority, but also comfort since 4-5 hours is a long race. I am trying to decide between a tri suit, two piece long top, or two piece bra top. Things I know about myself is that I like longer shorts, good chamois is a MUST, and that I definitely get hot on the run. I raced in a tri suit last season and really liked it for the bike (plenty of room to breathe easily) but found it hot as hell on the run, and not very comfortable for that. I am thinking of going with the bra top which i did in the half i did last season. Kind of an issue to store gel, but i figure that being cool for the run should be a priority since that is the toughest leg of the race, at least for me. I am also thinking of going with the 2xu endurance stuff.

Thoughts? what you do all race in? what do you like/dislike and why?

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: what to wear to race half-iron's [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd go with a 2 piece. It seems like many shorts have side or back pouches that will hold a few gels. I always stash a couple up front in my top too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of my racing stuff has pockets, shorts and tops. I stuff all kinds of things in there. It is a requirement for pretty much any training gear I buy.

This year I had an awesome pair of women's tri shorts, I believe they were Shebeest, that had two good sized pockets on the back and my top had pockets on the sides.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like a 2 piece in case you I have to find a bathroom. And a pocket or two to stash a gel. I wear DeSoto Micro Shorts and a Sugoi bra top with pockets in the back. the pockets aren't the easiest to get to, but I put a gel in each pocket before the race so I'm covered if I need anything on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love a one piece tri suit for short stuff but for a half ironman and ironman a 2 piece is so much better to be able to make quick "pit stops". Longer tops can be nice because they usually have a gel pocket and they provide a bit more sun protection... but good chance you'll want more then one gel during the run on a half gels can always be shoved in leg of short or in bra top. :) The one issue I have with a lot of the longer tops is that some styles can be loose, which obviously isn't great for a non-wetsuit swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just me, but I race in a swimsuit... no chamois through half IM. Full IM top & shorts.. I don't change clothes... But that's me.

I've raced in a 2pc suit (bikini style) before. Not a fan of shorts....but now that the pointzero is a part of my racing, may try shorts again for a sprint... just to see. Don't want to risk it at any big races.

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I change my mind almost every race, but it is always 2 pieces of something. None of my shorts have pockets (love love love desoto low rise shorts, no pockets there, but not really an issue to me) and a few of my tops do. For the most part I shove whatever I might need down my top (plenty of extra room left over there for me). Just remember to body glide that area before you go shoving stuff down there. I have been left with several pretty marks from cliff block packaging when I forgot the glide.