Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

weight training
Quote | Reply
I'm going to start 4-6 week weight training period. I know this has been discussed forever on the main forum. I do NOT want to start a discussion here about if it will or won't help my tri's. I don't care. My aim is for injury prevention. I think as a woman, and esp as an older woman, with less muscle mass, this may help prevent some injuries.

SO...

any advise. I can't decide if it's better to lift total body three times a week, or lift more intensively each body part only once a week (still 3 sessions, 1- shoulders / legs: 2- back / biceps: 3 - triceps/ chest).

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My go-to for weight training is P90X so I usually do a more intense workouts aimed at 1-2 areas. No clue if it is more effective but Tony and crew motivates me to work way harder than I would on my own.
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'm lending my daughter those DVDs for the summer, but I think that's the way I'm leaning as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for p90x. Shoot for lower weight and lots of reps. When he does an exercise for 45 seconds, pick a weight that you can do for the entire 45 seconds. I have very very good results with his program, although I prefer his cousin Tim's products ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish there was a Like button here on ST as your comment needs to be liked. I only wish we could purchase his cousin Tim's products here in Chicago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learned that a key for me to get the training is that I have to get out of my own house. So the p90x was too easy for me to bail on since I always have stuff to do around my house. Would help if I had a better designated spot in the house to do the work, but that's just me. I've taken to going to the gym & doing some focused lifting 3x/wk....it takes me about 1/2 hr or 45min if I add in some core work. Maybe a little longer if I'm not alone and/or do something different.

I typically hit my triceps (forward standing extension), chest press, lat pull, calf raises, leg press, glutes, ham curls - three sets of 10-15, single arm/leg at a time. Core work is all done with body weight and the ball/bosu. My quads & biceps get worked with everything else & in my other workouts. I use the lifting to help work out imbalances primarily.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That helps. I think I would prefer to do the gym thing this summer as well.
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X3 - I do the p90x exercises on my own (i.e.: not with the DVDs) and am only on day 8 (seriously!) but I already notice the difference in my running. My weakest spots are core, lower back, upper bod, so I tend to focus on those more - but the plyometrics is awesome!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am another p90x fan and do it with my teenaged boys. They are stronger, but I can beat them on abs. As they get busier with their own lives, I am starting to go to the gym and lift 2-3x a week, whole body each time. It was too easy to skip P90x when I was doing it alone. I am not a fan of weights, so this hard for me. (No problems running, swimming, biking, I just can't seem to commit to weight lifting.) I vote for doing the same whole body routine each visit for a few weeks until it gets to be a habit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up for 10 personal training sessions at my gym. We are going to work on weights and functional strength training. I'll be going 3x/week for weights and functional strength. I've come to the realization that I have to do it. I'm not naturally lean and I'll never get there without weights.

I have both P90 sets and will keep those for days I can't commit to the gym for whatever reason. It is a 15 minute walk from me though so I'm pretty lame if I don't go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [lreichman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention the "not being a fan..." I used to LOVE weights then the pendulum swung the other way when I started doing longer races... now it's going back again... :-)

Stick with it! and way to show the youn'uns!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: weight training [lreichman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems running, swimming, biking, I just can't seem to commit to weight lifting

x2
Quote Reply