Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

riding against wind
Quote | Reply
I am a small woman and just got a set of Profile Design wheels for my tri bike. They are great but I am having a tough time riding in windy conditions. I was told when I put them on this might be an issue. Here is my question: is it just the unsteadiness of the bike in the wind that makes it harder for me or am I actually having to work harder due to the wheels? Suggestions for making this more comfortable are welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: riding against wind [laurieg84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, you and I both work harder in wind on our small bikes using small motors (us).

When the conditions are too windy in competition, I simply use my training wheels instead. It defeats the purpose of race wheels, but at least the wind bothers everyone equally.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: riding against wind [laurieg84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try just swapping the front trainer wheel and leave the profile in the back. It's the front wheel that catches the wind and gets all squirrelly.
Quote Reply
Re: riding against wind [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1xatbandcamp wrote:
Try just swapping the front trainer wheel and leave the profile in the back. It's the front wheel that catches the wind and gets all squirrelly.
+1 on this. Some believe a deeper section rim (even a disc) out back actually improves handling in the wind by moving the center of pressure rearward... the result being that you still get pushed by the wind but it's a slow steady push, not the scary, squirrely push you get from a deep section rim up front.
Quote Reply