Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

pool situation, what would you do
Quote | Reply
So while I'm on business during the week, I went to the local rec center to use their pool. I got there right on 'start' time for lap swim, and there was one lane line in the pool (with what looked to be some ex-college swimmers in the lane) and it looked like the guards were messing with the other lane lines. So I hopped in the non-lane line part and started warming up (4 lane pool approx). Well, I came to realize they were putting the lane lines away, not in.
So I did my 50 min workout (lap swim only an hour that night) and got out... thinking I'd probably not go back. Water was pretty warm, and there's an entrance on the one side of the pool to the rest of the "kid and rec" pool which caused sideways current strong enough for me to have to 'combat' it.
So I'm headed out, as the local swim team is showing up and putting in the blocks and lane lines.
I ran into a staff member who sought me out to tell me that lap swim would have later hours as this was the last week for the swim team. So I asked her very nicely why there was only 1 lane line in the pool during lap swim. She (this was funny to me) sounded apologetic about it and said there's usually no lane lines in the pool during lap swim. (really??)
So I said, very nicely, that it was nice to swim with a lane line... to which she said I should just ask for one to be put in if I want when I show up, they would put one in for me.

What would you do? Go back and have them pop in a lane line, or suck it up and pretend it's extra open water practice?
I was thinking I'd give them one more try before I decided.
Quote Reply
Re: pool situation, what would you do [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a laneline, just ask. It takes all of a minute to drag it down and tighten it up. She offered so it doesn't seem like an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really hard to swim in pools that you're not familiar with as they have their own culture sometimes. I'm glad you got a workout in.
They seemed like nice people, so that's good. And she did offer. So I'd say go w/ what you're most comfortable with. If you want a good fast workout, ask for a lane line. If you want to practice OWS than go with that. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is pretty standard for Hawaii. Most pools don't have lane lines in during lap swim. And I'm not even sure you can ask to have one put in. The swim teams that practice put them in and take them out. I guess there are other things that use the pool and the guards would have to take them out for water aerobics etc... After 10 years I'm used to it. But I do like it when there are lanes. There are at least 2 pools that I know of that always have lane lines, one a mile from my house so that's my preference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask for lines. I like lines.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean this seems pretty straight-forward: if they said they'll put one in if you want and you want it, then ask for it.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ASK !
I hestitate to say this 1) because I'm making an assumption and 2) because I'm about to make a stereotype: I assume that you're female because males would never be in this quandary.
Ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would ask for the lane lines!

i once went to lap swim in my home town. there were no lane lines and i could not detect any system to the madness.
i asked someone about whether they were circle swimming (didn't look like it) and he said no, so i practiced my sighting a lot.
people were coming every which way - it was like traffic in italy. crazy! there were no intervals possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd probably be happy I found a pool I could use while travelling and make the best of it. You can always ask. The worst they'll say is no.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the others, definitely ask for one if you want it. It's not a lot of work to put one in, and honestly the guards probably aren't doing much anyway. When I guarded I would jump at any chance to get up and do something :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the line. Too much issue to have the whole pool open like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow. I cannot imagine the chaos that would ensue if there were no lane lines in our pool. Hardly any of the triathletes swim straight WITH the lane lines in there AND the lines on the bottom of the pool. I'd hate to see what would happen if you took the bumpers away. As a "swimmer" it's almost a game of frogger already some days. And if there's a paddle set? I fear for my wrists & fingers.

On Sundays we're always set up long course, so the number of people in each lane doubles or triples, as does the disparity of intervals & abilities. There's quite a bit of passing. We're doing quite a bit of pulling lately & I get SO scared on those moments when we're passing going both ways & for the smallest of seconds we are "four-wide".....thankfully the inside two are always the "swimmers" that are reliable.

I'd definitely say ask if you want a lane...a pool staff that's friendly & willing to put one in for you...AWESOME.

AW
Quote Reply