Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

no pill- no period
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies,

I have recently gone off the pill for the first time in 4 years and what a difference! I lost 4 lbs right away, feeling great in training, less mood swings. All in all, definitely felt a difference.

Issue is that since going off it - no period. Certainly no reason to worry right now as it has only been 8 weeks. But, I actually have NEVER had a period on my own in my whole life. Didn't start menstruating in high school and senior year (age 18) they have me hormone shots to force me to have it. Didn't have another one for a whole year so they put me on the pill. I have had regular periods since then, and then right when I go off it, of course it stops.

Bit more about me. I'm 23, training very seriously to try and turn pro next season. I'm am reasonably lean - just over 5'9" and 134 lbs right now, but certainly not skinny per se. Not sure what BF is? My mom was super irregular so I do have that in my genes. I ran track and XC in high school and doctors seemed to think the running delayed me getting my period, but should not have prevented it.

Questions are:

How long do I go without a period before I have to drag myself back to the doctor? I know they'll just want to shoot me up with hormones again or put me on the pill, and neither make me feel that great.

Not having a period is simply fantastic. Doesn't disrupt my training etc. How few can I get away with per year? 3-4?

Why on EARH does my body refuse to menstruate on its own?

Thanks!

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: no pill- no period [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a couple of good threads on the womens board about this as well. I have what's called "hypothalamic amenorrhea". Basically, my hypothalamus doesn't make the hormones I need to have cycles when I'm not on the pill. Like you, I felt great when I went off the pill, but my period didn't return. I'm not super skinny and don't train a crazy amount, but I am on the lean side and fairly active. However I've learned that everyone has their own set point, and so while some people might be able to keep having regular cycles at a given body fat %, others won't. This disorder is more common in gymnastics, marathon runners, as well as people with eating disorders.

The main issue my doctor raised with me (other than if you want to get pregnant), is that your estrogen is really low, and this dramatically increases your risk of osteoperosis. So, from that point of view, I think it something you want to look into and manage. Going back on the pill might not be the only answer, I'm not sure. Maybe you can try and see a GYN who might have more exerience with these types of issues? There are bcps you can take where you only have a period 3-4 times per year, so perhaps that would be a good compromise?

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I went off the pill after a few years it took me probably 6 months to get my period, then I got it for a day for about 6 months and finally two days, and eventually three days. I think it had to do w/ exercise and stress for me. If you're not worried about it, I wouldn't be either. My doc said it was fine and to just try to eat healthily and take a multivitamin and my body would figure it out..which it did .. eventually!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to an actual GYN for peace of mind. They'll probably tell you how common it is becoming in female athletes. I'm actually coming up on 18 months. I went to see a GYN in May 2008 and she wasn't alarmed at all - unless of course I'm planning on having kids in the near future (getting prego in the next 12-24 months).
Quote Reply
Re: no pill- no period [i-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because it's common doesn't mean it's an okay and healthy thing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply