Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new work schedule and training
Quote | Reply
Starting in Sept. I'll be faced with a new work schedule. M-Th, 10 hour days. I have a choice of 6am-5pm, 7am-6pm, or 8am-7pm - I'll likely have to pick one of those and stick with it. Supposedly a 1 hour lunch but with my career, that may or may not happen. So I'm not sure if I could get in a lunch time run or not. Probably not, as I would have to also eat and clean up within that 1 hour span.
Facility does not have a locker room or showers.

Any advice on training with this type of schedule?
thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: new work schedule and training [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i leave my house at 7am and don't get home until after 6pm because of my commute (about 1:15 each way), and i don't train at lunch. i do almost everything at night (usually 1:15-2:00 of training per evening), but i don't get a heck of a lot of sleep since i cook from scratch every night, too.

good luck - cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Let your natural sleep patterns determine your schedule, i.e. if you are an early bird, then train and go to work at 8 AM. If you are a night owl, then, train after finishing work at 5 PM.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: new work schedule and training [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Let your natural sleep patterns determine your schedule, i.e. if you are an early bird, then train and go to work at 8 AM. If you are a night owl, then, train after finishing work at 5 PM.

This is great advice. If I tried to do my workouts in the morning then go to work at 8 I'd be miserable. I am a "train after work" girl. While I have done early morning runs I much prefer using it to wind down after a stressful day.

What do you do now and accommodate that with your new work schedule.

I also give the advice that when you are a new employee it is important to establish your work style early. If you are given a 1 hour lunch and it is reasonable, take it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: new work schedule and training [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input.
When I say I might not get a full hour for lunch it's because sometimes the time spent with a patient that's supposed to end say at noon, doesn't... and the next one is scheduled for 1pm... stuff like that.

I'm mostly an after work training person. Sometimes I can do before work, and sometimes I enjoy it... but mostly I'm an after work type.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. I should probably know what you do for a living but I forgot. Makes sense if you are dealing with appointments with patients.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar schedule and it's tough. The 3 day weekend is nice but I find that I try to cram too much training into those 3 days and just end up sore, LOL.
I have come to love the early mornings. I do this because I have kids therefore the evening routine is homework, dinner, sports/activities and I'm too busy or too tired to get an evening workout in. I try to do shorter, higher intensity stuff on workdays and don't beat myself up if it doesn't fit in. I leave the house at 6:45am M-Th so I have to wake up early to workout. I limit my weekday workouts to an hour and if I get lucky, I might get a swim in after work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pick the schedule that blends best with your off day sleep patterns. Get a good light. Ride after work with the bike you have packed in the car.

Jim Verheul
JBV Coaching.com
Quote Reply