Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

more saddle help - gel covers
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I know this has been gone over and over but I have some similar problems to other posters with finding a seat. I just got a new profile design but basically purchsed the lesser of the other evils and plan to keep searching.
I have had the ingrown hair problems and soft tissue pain. AT this point I am moving around on my saddle so much to get through rides I have all kinds of discomfort, soooooo, yesterday, on my trainer I resorted to the old gel bike seat cover I had from my first few times I did spinning. Well, the gel helped, but its very thick, not a good fit for a tri saddle, etc. Is there another more tri / road bike like cover (the Desoto seems thin) that might help me or should I do two Desoto's. Anyone experiment with any of these?
Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: more saddle help - gel covers [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the gel seat will add friction and its something extra that will move around, and you do not want that as that will cause more sores...
have you had bike properly fitted? sorry I think you are looking for someone to say yes, they use a gel cover, and that is why no replies. It sounds like your bike/seat does not fit right...would this maybe explian it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had tons of probs with ingrown hairs and discomfort, my long IM rides were just killing me. Last week however I bought the Selle Italia DIVA Gel flow and it's amazing! Completely changed my ride last saturday when i went out for a 4 hour tester. Absolutely top notch saddle and extremely comfortable. It's a lot softer round the sides of the nose which always gave me ingrowing hairs and it's great at absorbing all the bumps on the rough roads that i ride on. Instead of a cover i'd recommend that you try out a few decent saddles - cannot recommend this one enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used a gel seat cover, but I do make sure I ride saddles that are made with padding as opposed to foam padding (which many of the lower quality saddles are). I've tried about 20 saddles in dealing with my saddle injury issues and the key for me is finding a very soft gel saddle. Good luck - it's definitely not easy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the DeSoto gel cover. I put it over my Terry (men's) fly seat which has a cut-out. I found, even though it's thin, it softened the edge of the cut-out and did help me.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply