Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [Herding Cats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herding Cats wrote:
hokeypokey wrote:
I got myself a tri bike and I can't handle riding on aerobars. I can ride with either hand on the aerobar for a few minutes then I freak out and put both hands back on the hoods but most of the time I'm just too freaked. I've tried almost everything, riding without cleats, riding the tri bike with just hands on the hoods for starters (never progressed beyond that), just can't do it.

Any tips or tricks? I know it comes like second nature to some people but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I freak on roads where there are lots of cars (I live in the city so that's just about every other road)....

Lots of good advice here. I used to race road bikes a long time ago and even did the odd mtn bike race in the fall after the road season ended. So I have pretty good bike handling skills. I got my tri bike a couple years ago. I remember the first outdoor bike ride I was really feeling out of my comfort zone with the position. I didn't take my hands off the areo bars for many miles. It took a few more rides before I could easily move my hands from the aero bars to the horns. And it took probably over a week to feel comfortable enough to grab my water bottle. I have a BMC time machine (hand-me down from a previous coach) which is awesome and fast but super twitchy. I still joke around about just moving my eyebrow and the bike will twitch. The moral to my story is it just takes time to get used to it. I still ride the horns in traffic and down long descents.

Perhaps on each ride, try to stay in your aero bars a little longer each time. And I also agree a pro bike fit is worth it. Best wishes!

That cracked me up. I bought a BMC TM02 about a month ago and describe the bike the same way, almost down to the wording. It is a rocket, but I swear it twitches when I blink.

It was the first bike I had with aerobars, so to get ready for it, I put clip-ons on my road bike. First, I just got used to being in the position on the trainer, then I took the road bike on the road with the aerobars before I got my BMC. I think I spent less than 5 miles of that first 25 mile ride on the aerobars. After getting the tri bike, I found a flat, stretch of paved rail trail, just rode back and forth to get used to them. It was in the country so I didn't have to dodge pedestrians (a luxury, I know). After a couple outings, I went out on the flattest low-traffic roads I could find (flat is a real challenge around here). I don't think I stayed aero on any of the descents for that first ride.

I am surprised at how quickly I am getting used to them. I still come out of aero at speeds around 35 mph so I can access the brakes, and I am not brave enough to reach for a water bottle if there are cars even remotely close, but I am getting there. I also go onto the hoods in traffic or for climbing (that standard crankset is a workout). Despite being fitted when I bought the bike, I think I might have to be refit after my HIM next month. As I get more comfortable with the position, I feel like being a bit more aggressive would actually be more comfortable and in control, which really surprised me.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [hokeypokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another angle in getting more comfortable is to take a look at posture/tone on the bike, as well as general comfort with handling skills. Tri bikes tend to be super twitchy as is, and if you are riding tense and with a nervous posture, twice will be amplified. I would recommend finding an empty parking lot and practice tight cornering/standing/counter steering/track stands/ etc... Just play for half an hour and get really comfortable learning how the bike moves and how you and the bike move together. Then relax the shoulders and grip, and ride. May not be a 'workout' but if you aren't comfortable with the way the bike handles in general then you probably want to avoid going to hard/fast on it for now anyway. My bike handling improved significantly as I increased riding time with my two boys (8/10 at the time) who likes to ride over curbs, down stairs, no hands, etc... I just followed and did what they did. Might not seem as valuable as actual 'training' time, but it beats falling into walls off of rollers. I've raced some cold, wet, sketchy IM conditions and found this stuff came in handy.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [hokeypokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread to say... 10 months after getting my TT bike and falling over on my first ride, I finally, took it for a second ride and built up to getting into aero. I'm still super wobbly and it took some experimenting to figure out how to get in and out smoothly-ish. I stood at the end of my driveway for close to ten minutes, and on the verge of tears, before I even got moving but now I'm back home and grinning and can't wait to try it again.

I really appreciated this thread because it had loads of great advice but more importantly it made me feel better about not just picking it up instantly like my other half did. Thanks ladies!
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

The first step is to be comfortable (mentally as well as physically) and then progress to riding aero. An aero bike that never moves is not much good if you're too afraid to ride it ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next